GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ebay advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/08/05 at 23:54
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Hello all,

I've never used ebay before, though I have been tempted.
I'm not skint but I will be in the following months so thought I'd clear some stuff out.

I want to know what sells the best and what isn't worth it.
Advice on first sales since I'll have no feedback.
What packaging/post office stuff.

Thanks
Wed 03/08/05 at 17:59
"High polygon count"
I've never had any problem with Turbo Lister myself, but I know it gives some people real problems.

I have my own template for my eBay listings, so I never use the ones that eBay provide - hence it never costs me anything anyway. Most of the templates eBay provide are pretty tacky anyway.
Wed 03/08/05 at 17:57
"Was the man of marz"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Try to use some HTML to make your listings look attractive. Just
> plonking text in the description might serve the purpose, but if it
> looks like you've taken some time and effort over your listing,
> people are more inclined to trust you.

Ebay turbo lister is glitchy & annoying but the results are fab. Just remember it's free to upload via turbo.exe ut if you relist via the website ebay will charge you 6p for the use of their designs
Wed 03/08/05 at 16:59
"High polygon count"
IGNORE tnc's advice about making profits via high postage costs - most people wont bid, and it's against eBay regulations, so you may find your account suspended for fee avoidance.

First off, it may be advisable to buy a few cheap items to get some feedback. Many eBay users are wary of buying from zero-feedback sellers - especially if you plan to sell any electronic items, like an unwanted MP3 player for example.

Try to use some HTML to make your listings look attractive. Just plonking text in the description might serve the purpose, but if it looks like you've taken some time and effort over your listing, people are more inclined to trust you.

Don't type your listing all in capitals. Use sensible font sizes and an attractive colour scheme. And make sure that you check the spelling in your listing - coming across as an illiterate fool by using 'txt spk' will definitely put people off buying from you.

You can only put a reserve of £50 or more on an item, so if you want or expect less than that, set a start price of the minimum you would be happy to accept for the item. If you start an item worth £20 at 99p, there is every possibility that it will get just one bid and sell for that price. While no-one can force you to part with it, you will probably get negative feedback and be reported through the eBay system. Too many of those, and again you will find yourself suspended.

Your other option is to list items as 'Buy It Now' only. This means there's no bidding on the item - either someone pays your asking price, or they don't get the item.

The best piece of advice I can give you, having used eBay for about 3 years now, would be to spend a couple of weeks lurking in the eBay.co.uk Q&A forum. Many suggestions, problems and potential pitfalls are covered there, and you will learn a lot about what to do and what not to do. To view the forum - [URL]http://forums.ebay.co.uk/forum.jspa?forumID=7[/URL]

Hope this helps!
Wed 03/08/05 at 15:20
Regular
I think you can only use a reserve for £60 upwards now I used to set mine to 20 quid for things such as games.
Wed 03/08/05 at 14:15
Regular
I never put a reserve on, waste of money, if your items good it will always go for what it should. I start all my items on 99p aswell.
I charge double and rounded up on what the postage actually is, this covers paypal, ebay and postage fee's.
Warhammer goes for a fortune on there, games that are 12-18 months old go quite well, any others unless they are rare go for a few quid.
For example I sold PC knights of the old republic, 2nd hand, for about 20 quid, while the same game on the xbox went for 6.
Wed 03/08/05 at 10:48
"Was the man of marz"
Damarus wrote:
> tnc wrote:
> Apprapo the start of an auction, it's best to set the item at a low
> start price (for example 0.99) to avoid paying alot of tax and make
> the money up by setting a reserve (which no-one can see)
>
> Isn't a reserve £1 or there abouts?

I think it's free as long as the item sells. Only thing is it puts buyers off cos they don't think theycan get a bargain
Wed 03/08/05 at 10:36
Regular
tnc wrote:
> Apprapo the start of an auction, it's best to set the item at a low
> start price (for example 0.99) to avoid paying alot of tax and make
> the money up by setting a reserve (which no-one can see)

Isn't a reserve £1 or there abouts?
Wed 03/08/05 at 10:27
"Was the man of marz"
.:~Bubblez~:. wrote:
> Anyone here want it? All you gotta do is pay postage and packaging. A
> little teddy with a letter reading 'I love you'

My friend got one saying 'lets grow old together'. That would have scared meoff

On the subject of ebay. It's very much hit and miss with what sells. Doing completed searches to find out what items sold and why is a good start. An example is a fine china plate might get nothing but a box of lego will go for more than you think. Also, try not to inflate postage. You put off 'sensible ebayers' who don't want topay £2.99 for a CD to be sent first class. Basically, try out a couple of small items as with no feedback it doesn't but buyers off but it doesn't encourage em' and find out how it all works and the best way to start selling is by using the free software you can doenload
Wed 03/08/05 at 00:31
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
I suppose they might be worth at least £5 now!
Wed 03/08/05 at 00:31
Regular
Please don't be one of those people who uses caps lock for their entire description.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.