GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Adventures in time"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/10/04 at 23:02
Regular
"I love Lemonesent"
In the beginning there was a mainframe computer.
The first known adventure was a mainframe game which was a very simple text adventure from around 1968 It was called "Colossal Cave". At around 1979 Roberta Williams come across this game and from the simplest commands such as typing in "go north" >You are now north, she was hooked.
She then began to search in the vain hope there might be more but alas to her dismay there wasn’t so she did what any person would do in that situation and began to write her own the name of this adventure was "Mystery House", released in 1980, thus was born Sierra and the rest as they say is history.
"Wizard and the Princess" was soon to follow and followed bye "mission asteroid”, “Time zone", and "The Dark Crystal"
In 1984 was released one of the most popular series ever this of course was the Kings Quest series This followed bye the adult orientated "Leisure Suit Larry".

At around this time to was born a company famous for its text adventures this was Infocom
Very early on they produced the adult and infamous "Leather goddesses Of Phobos" know for its dry wit and humour this was followed bye the classic "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy" which was co produced bye Infocom and the sadly missed Douglas Adams. I remember buy this and thinking "Oh what fun this is simple text yet it was like a book where your imagination could run wild.

There where may other adventures then too including the advanced for its time "The Hobbit" on the Amstrad64 which had not only text but crude graphics too and even though it was buggy it was still fun to play.

One of the best loved and funniest adventure games of all time is "Monkey Island" famed for it hilarious wit and one of the most stupidest names ever Greybrush Threepwood. We followed him through the plot where as a pirate the secret wasn’t the sword fighting but the insults that came with it, remember "I’m rubber you glue", and who could forget The Big Whoop in "Monkey Island 2"?

In 1989 or there a bouts came a game that was to change the history of adventure role playing game for good. This was Dungeon Master and what an absolute classic this game turned out to be and what a stroke of genius someone had to bundle it with a 512 ram upgrade (this is how I got mine). I was totally hooked and played for hours and hours
Not long after around 1991 came "Eye Of The Beholder" followed bye "Eye Of The Beholder 2" these two where great classics and bye today’s standards the flick screen graphics were crude but very affective.
Around the mid 1990 the now infamous "Might and Magic" series was born I remember playing Might and Magic 6 which was the first true 3d adventure game I had played and wow it was good. Even today I still like to play it.

In about 1996 was to come a true classic action adventure. It was "Tomb Raider" with the cult hero Lara Croft and her two famous assets (no not those) her twin six shooters. This game was totally different from anything that had gone on before and sold millions world wide. You followed Lara in caves, across rivers, around lava streams. Then came "Tomb Raider2" which improved vastly on the last 3 was to follow through London, India etc.
This was followed up by "Tomb Raider6" "The Angel Of Darkness"

Another classic adventure and perhaps one of the best is the truly classic "Indian Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". I was a very large adventure where you could chose one of 3 ways to solve the puzzles and win through at the end either join, fight, or think. I have managed all 3 ways of this.

Another great game though more RPG then adventure was or is Baldurs Gate and what an adventure that is as the child of Baal starting at Baldurs Gate and finishing back there to fight your own evil brother. It was certainly a tail with a twist.
There were many other games in the early days such as "da je vu1 and 2" and many more. People said the adventure was dead but there were wrong adventure never died it simply matured and with the release of “The Curse of Monkey Island" this enforced the fact.
All in all there will always be adventure and RPG but adventure has come a long way since the early days of typing North >you are now facing North. It has now matured and become refined.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 20/10/04 at 23:02
Regular
"I love Lemonesent"
In the beginning there was a mainframe computer.
The first known adventure was a mainframe game which was a very simple text adventure from around 1968 It was called "Colossal Cave". At around 1979 Roberta Williams come across this game and from the simplest commands such as typing in "go north" >You are now north, she was hooked.
She then began to search in the vain hope there might be more but alas to her dismay there wasn’t so she did what any person would do in that situation and began to write her own the name of this adventure was "Mystery House", released in 1980, thus was born Sierra and the rest as they say is history.
"Wizard and the Princess" was soon to follow and followed bye "mission asteroid”, “Time zone", and "The Dark Crystal"
In 1984 was released one of the most popular series ever this of course was the Kings Quest series This followed bye the adult orientated "Leisure Suit Larry".

At around this time to was born a company famous for its text adventures this was Infocom
Very early on they produced the adult and infamous "Leather goddesses Of Phobos" know for its dry wit and humour this was followed bye the classic "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy" which was co produced bye Infocom and the sadly missed Douglas Adams. I remember buy this and thinking "Oh what fun this is simple text yet it was like a book where your imagination could run wild.

There where may other adventures then too including the advanced for its time "The Hobbit" on the Amstrad64 which had not only text but crude graphics too and even though it was buggy it was still fun to play.

One of the best loved and funniest adventure games of all time is "Monkey Island" famed for it hilarious wit and one of the most stupidest names ever Greybrush Threepwood. We followed him through the plot where as a pirate the secret wasn’t the sword fighting but the insults that came with it, remember "I’m rubber you glue", and who could forget The Big Whoop in "Monkey Island 2"?

In 1989 or there a bouts came a game that was to change the history of adventure role playing game for good. This was Dungeon Master and what an absolute classic this game turned out to be and what a stroke of genius someone had to bundle it with a 512 ram upgrade (this is how I got mine). I was totally hooked and played for hours and hours
Not long after around 1991 came "Eye Of The Beholder" followed bye "Eye Of The Beholder 2" these two where great classics and bye today’s standards the flick screen graphics were crude but very affective.
Around the mid 1990 the now infamous "Might and Magic" series was born I remember playing Might and Magic 6 which was the first true 3d adventure game I had played and wow it was good. Even today I still like to play it.

In about 1996 was to come a true classic action adventure. It was "Tomb Raider" with the cult hero Lara Croft and her two famous assets (no not those) her twin six shooters. This game was totally different from anything that had gone on before and sold millions world wide. You followed Lara in caves, across rivers, around lava streams. Then came "Tomb Raider2" which improved vastly on the last 3 was to follow through London, India etc.
This was followed up by "Tomb Raider6" "The Angel Of Darkness"

Another classic adventure and perhaps one of the best is the truly classic "Indian Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". I was a very large adventure where you could chose one of 3 ways to solve the puzzles and win through at the end either join, fight, or think. I have managed all 3 ways of this.

Another great game though more RPG then adventure was or is Baldurs Gate and what an adventure that is as the child of Baal starting at Baldurs Gate and finishing back there to fight your own evil brother. It was certainly a tail with a twist.
There were many other games in the early days such as "da je vu1 and 2" and many more. People said the adventure was dead but there were wrong adventure never died it simply matured and with the release of “The Curse of Monkey Island" this enforced the fact.
All in all there will always be adventure and RPG but adventure has come a long way since the early days of typing North >you are now facing North. It has now matured and become refined.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.