GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid Prime 2 Vs. Halo 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/10/04 at 12:52
Regular
Dear Nintendo

I am no marketing genius, or advertising company. But I do have a fear, as a large Nintendo fan, for the Gamecube this Christmas. The line up for the Gameboy Advance is almost surreal, 3 Mario titles, 2 Pokemon games and even a special Zelda game. This will ensure a fantastic result for what could be the GBA’s last big Christmas.

Yet I can’t help but wonder what will happen to the Gamecube especially with the competition this year. It’s not about Nintendo losing in the sales, that is a giver, it is about the Gamecube being swept aside and destroyed. GTA on the Playstation 2 and Halo 2 for the X-box are by far the biggest home console games released at Christmas and Nintendo’s efforts to counter-act this is Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. Now I prefer the Gamecube line up to the X-box and the PS2, but I’m sure I could find millions who don’t have my preference.

Paper Mario 2 appeals to Children gamers and, as GTA and Halo do not, I can see it doing very well, undercutting the GTA and Halo threat. Yet Metroid Prime 2, in my eyes a far superior title, could be ignored by the consumer. With sales of the original reaching 1.2 million (which is a miracle for an adult Nintendo game) I’d just love to see Metroid Prime 2 reaching even larger sales. In fact I’d love to read news articles around the Internet that informs the gaming community that after just a week at number 1, Halo 2 is knocked from its perch by Metroid. What a score by Nintendo.

I don’t expect Metroid Prime 2 to even nearly reach the sales of Halo 2, Halo 2 after all is one of the main reasons anyone would want an X-box, Metroid Prime is just one in a collection of must own Nintendo titles. Yet if only Nintendo could advertise MP2 as a rival to Halo 2 then it’ll get so much more attention. At the moment Metroid Prime 2 seems to have no connection to Halo 2, yet I saw a clever website the other day that had a picture of Samus with the slogan “never send a man to do a woman’s job!” That’s what I like to see! A bit of competitive spirit.

Imagine watching the TV then seeing a Halo 2 advert with a Metroid Prime 2 advert directly after. Suddenly Metroid will get hype as a competitor to Halo 2, one of the most hyped games this year. I am not expecting a miracle with Metroid beating Halo 2’s sales. Yet it would mean the Gamecube would be fighting well into next year. In time for Resident Evil 4.

Christopher Dring.
(Dringo)
Thu 21/10/04 at 12:52
Regular
Dear Nintendo

I am no marketing genius, or advertising company. But I do have a fear, as a large Nintendo fan, for the Gamecube this Christmas. The line up for the Gameboy Advance is almost surreal, 3 Mario titles, 2 Pokemon games and even a special Zelda game. This will ensure a fantastic result for what could be the GBA’s last big Christmas.

Yet I can’t help but wonder what will happen to the Gamecube especially with the competition this year. It’s not about Nintendo losing in the sales, that is a giver, it is about the Gamecube being swept aside and destroyed. GTA on the Playstation 2 and Halo 2 for the X-box are by far the biggest home console games released at Christmas and Nintendo’s efforts to counter-act this is Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. Now I prefer the Gamecube line up to the X-box and the PS2, but I’m sure I could find millions who don’t have my preference.

Paper Mario 2 appeals to Children gamers and, as GTA and Halo do not, I can see it doing very well, undercutting the GTA and Halo threat. Yet Metroid Prime 2, in my eyes a far superior title, could be ignored by the consumer. With sales of the original reaching 1.2 million (which is a miracle for an adult Nintendo game) I’d just love to see Metroid Prime 2 reaching even larger sales. In fact I’d love to read news articles around the Internet that informs the gaming community that after just a week at number 1, Halo 2 is knocked from its perch by Metroid. What a score by Nintendo.

I don’t expect Metroid Prime 2 to even nearly reach the sales of Halo 2, Halo 2 after all is one of the main reasons anyone would want an X-box, Metroid Prime is just one in a collection of must own Nintendo titles. Yet if only Nintendo could advertise MP2 as a rival to Halo 2 then it’ll get so much more attention. At the moment Metroid Prime 2 seems to have no connection to Halo 2, yet I saw a clever website the other day that had a picture of Samus with the slogan “never send a man to do a woman’s job!” That’s what I like to see! A bit of competitive spirit.

Imagine watching the TV then seeing a Halo 2 advert with a Metroid Prime 2 advert directly after. Suddenly Metroid will get hype as a competitor to Halo 2, one of the most hyped games this year. I am not expecting a miracle with Metroid beating Halo 2’s sales. Yet it would mean the Gamecube would be fighting well into next year. In time for Resident Evil 4.

Christopher Dring.
(Dringo)
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:05
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Paper Mario 2 appeals to Children gamers and, as GTA and Halo do not,

Hahaha no.
When I originally sold my PS1 I was asked if it had GTA with it, and they'd earlier told me it wa going to their 6 year old son.

The idea of being able to kill people appeals to childrne more than turning into a paper aeroplane.

Dunno about Halo though, probably appeals to children too.
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:10
Regular
Not according to Little Paxton Primary school year 5 group.

1 want the game, 12 say their parents won't let them play it and the rest only seem to are about their tamagotchi.
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
MP2 will rule, but it's hardly going to overshadow the mega-hype of those other games.
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:17
Regular
Metroid Prime sold well because no-one had played that type of game before. Now that they're all accustomed to how dull Metroid Prime is, the chance of it standing up to GTA and Halo 2 is smaller than an ants schlong.

*runs*
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:33
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tiltawhirl is a TOOL.

Official Verdict.
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:46
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dear Christopher

Thankyou for your email we appreciate your concerns. We receiver thousands of emails everyday and so unfortunately we cannot reply to them all, but here is a code for some Pikmin 2 screensavers to show our appreciation.

Nintendo marketing Dept.
Germany
Thu 21/10/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Metroid Prime sold well because no-one had played that type of game
> before. Now that they're all accustomed to how dull Metroid Prime is,
> the chance of it standing up to GTA and Halo 2 is smaller than an
> ants schlong.
>
> *runs*

what about the 2 versions of metroid that were released before metroid prime, do they not exist now or what? i think theres no way that any nintendo game will beat XBOX and PS2 games. thats just how it is no, but it would be good to see MP2 getting over 1m sales.
Thu 21/10/04 at 14:00
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> I am no marketing genius, or advertising company.

You sure? ;-)

Metroid Prime was completely different to any other Metroid games. Some found it a little dull (see: foolish ;-P), others thought it was amazing.

Meh.
Thu 21/10/04 at 14:01
Regular
Marcini wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Metroid Prime sold well because no-one had played that type of game
> before. Now that they're all accustomed to how dull Metroid Prime
> is,
> the chance of it standing up to GTA and Halo 2 is smaller than an
> ants schlong.
>
> *runs*
>
> what about the 2 versions of metroid that were released before
> metroid prime, do they not exist now or what? i think theres no way
> that any nintendo game will beat XBOX and PS2 games. thats just how
> it is no, but it would be good to see MP2 getting over 1m sales.

There were 4 Metroid games before Prime was released, and none of them were like Prime in any way at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.