GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any good books?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/07/05 at 00:12
Regular
SOME 7WA7 PUT A HARRY POTTER SPOLER IN HERE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHATS HAPPENED, LEAVE NOW.

I've plenty of time now I've finished uni.

I've got loads of games, loads of films, but never been much of a reader.

Anyone recommend anything, new, old, and good which I could go and pcik up :).

Anything with a bit of mystery and suspense to it would be good :).

Anyone recommending Mill's and Boon or Lord of the Rings will be shot :P.

Oh, and I read The Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress, entertaining, I guess, but so many holes that they're laughable, so somehting immersive and believable would be quite good :).
Sun 31/07/05 at 19:52
Regular
The Face - Dean Koontz

One of his more cerebral horror/thrillers, and the only book of his I've read that I would rate as good.
Sun 31/07/05 at 11:11
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis, starts off a journal of an up and coming 'it' boy, ends up with terrorist attacks, murder and doppelgangers, by far the most interesting and bizarre book I've ever read.
Sun 31/07/05 at 02:48
Regular
Thanks guys, i'll look into those once i get my first pay packet.

I gave into Harry Potter mania because my brother has them all and i felt like seeing what all the fuss is about.

After that I might dust off my Latin dictionary and read the Aeneid or Iliad, or more likly, be lazy and get translated copies. When Aeneas visits the Underworld is something i recommend for anyone.

Come to think of it, I swore I'd never read Harry Potter because JK stole the Gatekeeper of the Underworld and called him fluffy!
Fri 29/07/05 at 17:48
Regular
Fri 29/07/05 at 17:04
Regular
Try anything by Chuck Palahnuik , he wrote Fightclub, if you havent seen the film i recomend reading the book first.
Fri 29/07/05 at 15:52
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Heh heh... sneaky, mem...
Fri 29/07/05 at 15:49
Regular
"bot"
Bonus wrote:
> SOME 7WA7 PUT A HARRY POTTER SPOLER IN HERE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW
> WHATS HAPPENED, LEAVE NOW.

I've read the whole thread now and I still can't find this.
What are you on about?
Fri 29/07/05 at 15:25
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Lord of the Flies is a good book, but after studying it for yonks, I never want to see it again.

Try the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. That's a good'un.
Fri 29/07/05 at 15:08
Regular
"Laughingstock"
The last book I read which I liked was M/F by Anthony Burgess. Fastpaced and strange.
Fri 29/07/05 at 12:23
Regular
thenamechanger wrote:

> Of the classic turn of the 20th Century Modernistic books is
> Metamorphasis by Franz Kafka - when you get around the slightly
> frilly language the book is very good, about a man who wakes up to
> find he's a beetle; and how he copes with his friends and family

--

Whenever I think of Kafka, I imagine someone sitting in Starbucks with ridiculously-named coffee and trying to draw everyone's attention to the fact they're reading Kafka so they must be deep.

Metamorphosis is enjoyable, though.

Last book I read was Brave New World by Huxley, but that's a 'classic' so you probably already know about it.

EDIT - Oh, someone's already mentioned Huxley. Cool. Erm, how about Nelson Mandela's autobiography, Long Walk To Freedom? Best bio I've ever read.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.