GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I must be going soft."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/07/05 at 21:11
Regular
"That's right!"
There's a girl at work who doesn't watch films. Simple as that, she just doesn't watch them. The amount of films she's seen numbers about 10 and they include Dirty Dancing, Ghost and some other girly film. And a few Disney ones.

She doesn't know who or what Indiana Jones is, she doesn't have a clue about Star Wars or Steven Spielberg, she doesn't even know who Arnold Schwarzenegger is.

So, as a film lover, I decided to educate her in decent films from the last 20 odd years. While others would say "Godfather" and the like, it can't be done, since she hates films. She gets bored watching them, she fidgets, she talks, in other words, the so called classics would bore her into a coma.

After naming literally dozens of films that I own, the ONLY one she knew anything about was Armageddon. Hey, it's not Aliens, but it's a start. She said she only likes films where you can cry, and I can't think of a film that's made more people cry than Armageddon (of course you could be crying because Bruce Willis sacrifices himself to save his daughter, or you could be crying because Ben Affleck has more lines than Steve Buscemi)

I can't think of much else that I own that can do that, but Edward Scissorhands sprung to mind. As a kid I don't think I got it, when I was trying to complete my Burton collection and bought it on DVD a couple of years ago I watched it twice without being amazed. I watched it tonight and cried like a baby. "Why did you do it?" "Because you asked me to", "Hold me" "I can't" and "I love you" all had tears swelling in my eyes, especially when the music swirls up.

I must be going soft, I used to laugh at people who cried up until a few years ago, now I start bubbling at EVERYTHING.

So, any suggestions on films I can lend this girl? She needs to be brought up to date on 25 years of classic films. Back in 2004 I lent someone Alien, Aliens, Terminator and Terminator 2 and she loved them after being sceptical at first, but I don't think they'll work this time.

I've got some time, as she's had Armageddon for about a month and hasn't watched it yet...
Sun 31/07/05 at 19:52
Regular
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Big Fish. She might like that. It can kind of be broken down into
> smaller chunks, like separate stories, to make it more like TV.

Also, as long as she isn't completely dim, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Sun 31/07/05 at 11:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hooray!
Sun 31/07/05 at 11:28
Regular
"You've upset me"
monkey_man wrote:
> Backdoor Sl*ts 9

:-O That makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2!
Sun 31/07/05 at 10:52
Regular
Yeah, Shawshank would be a good idea. She likes sad films eh? Try Grave of the Fireflies. Saddest. Film. Ever. Watch it in Japanese with subtitiles for full effect, the dubbing sucks.
Sat 30/07/05 at 23:32
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Shawshank?
Sat 30/07/05 at 16:09
Regular
Build up a tolerance for films by showing films of things that were on TV as programmes.

So yeah, i can't think of any TV-turned-films right now, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
Sat 30/07/05 at 15:58
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah, Princess Bride was what I was going to lend her after Edward Scissorhands.

And yes, she really did go through all those public holidays without seeing ANY films. A mate from college is quite similar, he's barely seen anything.
Fri 29/07/05 at 00:06
"period drama"
Everybody wins with The Princess Bride.
Thu 28/07/05 at 23:52
Regular
"0228"
Pretty Woman is awful. Bambi isn't brilliant but it's still a pretty good film.
Thu 28/07/05 at 23:47
Regular
I admit Pretty Woman is hardly an all-time-cinema-great but it does rank above Bambi, except Bambia does pwn it in the mass appeal to an audience (kids) stake

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.