GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Intel to Athlon upgrade"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/07/05 at 01:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
I have been thinking about a upgrade for a while now and i am looking at getting a athlon 64 3700+ but i haven't got the foggest about althons performance and alot of places don't have them in benchmarks so it's hard to see how much of a performance increase i am going to get.

I currently have a Intel 2.4 P4 and i was thinking of going to a 3.4 P4 but after reading a few things i decided that i am going to go for a 64bit athlon.

Does anyone own a 3700+ or know anything about what sort of pentium they match up to?

thanks
Wed 27/07/05 at 01:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
I have been thinking about a upgrade for a while now and i am looking at getting a athlon 64 3700+ but i haven't got the foggest about althons performance and alot of places don't have them in benchmarks so it's hard to see how much of a performance increase i am going to get.

I currently have a Intel 2.4 P4 and i was thinking of going to a 3.4 P4 but after reading a few things i decided that i am going to go for a 64bit athlon.

Does anyone own a 3700+ or know anything about what sort of pentium they match up to?

thanks
Wed 27/07/05 at 11:36
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Finally leaving the dark side, Mr.chip.

It’s impossible to compare the 3700+ to an Intel equivalent as they both have strong points and weakness. You should find that 3700+ will probably beat or match any Intel chip in games.
Unfortunately Pentiums wipe the flaw with encoding etc.

This should come in use: [URL]http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=65&model2=16&chart=21[/URL]
Wed 27/07/05 at 12:41
Regular
"Captain to you."
If i haddn't just eaten it you would have got a cookie.

Looks like this wil be an increase of about 33% from my current CPU whch is worth the 200 odd quid. My 2.4 has lasted me 2 years so thats not too bad, and theres nothing wrong with it so i can use it for a spare computer.

Thanks.
Wed 27/07/05 at 18:22
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Just making sure you’re buying the San Diego version, right?
Wed 27/07/05 at 18:25
Regular
"Captain to you."
erm i haven't got a clue what that means.

Is that the 939 socket one? as i need one that can go in a motherboard with a AGP slot. so i think it has to be the 7** version

The one i was looking at is clawhammer.
Wed 27/07/05 at 18:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
If I'm thinking of the right thing then San Diego uses 90nm dies instead of 130nm.

Anyway, it's a better architecture.
Wed 27/07/05 at 18:42
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Yeah, the San Diego is better, it will be a slight bit faster due to see4 or something like that and because it’s 90nm it will run cooler.

It is socket 939 but you can definitely get motherboards with a 939 CPU slot and AGP.
Thu 28/07/05 at 01:01
Regular
"Captain to you."
9** version is £80 more :(

I need to find a benchmark of a 9** socket one and 7**socket.

It's probably going to be a month maybe 2 till i do tthis upgrade but i just want to get a feel for what i should upgrade too, noting that i need at least a gig of ram and the motherboard too.
Thu 28/07/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
100% worth it, not only will you future proof your system as the dual core processors will work in 939, I think 7** (as you call it) is being f**ked of by AMD so expect no support etc after you have bought it.
Thu 28/07/05 at 14:29
Regular
"bot"
Socket 754 has been pretty much dead for ages.
Socket 939 gets you better cores, more upgrade headroom and dual channel RAM, which accounts for a good 5-10% more performance if I remember correctly.

There are still plenty of good AGP Socket 939 motherboards.
Check out the Abit AV8 and DFI LanParty UT NF3 Ultra.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.