GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Defining Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/06/01 at 18:53
Regular
Everyone considers advances in consoles to be the advances that revolutionise the gaming world. Everyone seems to say, "We have reached the next step with (Insert console name here)" But that’s just not the case!

It’s not the consoles that define the advances in gaming. It’s the games.

Let’s look at a few examples. The N64 and the PlayStation were (and still are) seen as the consoles that brought us to where we are today in gaming. With great games being churned out over both platforms. But that’s just not the case. If the N64 hadn’t had Mario 64 would it still have been acclaimed as the next generation console that it was? Err... no, I don’t think so. What if it hadn’t had Goldeneye, Which is (in my mind) one of the best games ever? Of course the N64 would still have been a great console, but if it hadn’t had certain games along the way, we would never have known what the console was capable of and so therefore it would never have been perceived as a next gen console.

The PlayStation is one of the finest consoles ever to grace us with its presence. But if a few of its best games hadn’t ever been made do you think we would have ever found out what it was capable of? Of course we wouldn’t. If it hadn’t had Resident Evil, horror fans everywhere would never have been alerted to the ability of the PlayStation to produce great games of that kind. The Final Fantasy series is another prime example. The FF Series is, unquestionably, a series of games of the highest calibre ever made. It took adventure games to a new level but the adventure fans would never have known that that calibre of game was possible to achieve if the series hadn’t been made.

So now I have to ask, what will the GameCube and X-Box have? What defining games will they bring us?

Well the first game on each console to be released will be a defining game, won’t it? The first game will show us what the console can, initially, do. It will be a landmark for the gaming world to see these incredible games. But why just the first game? Why not the second and the third? Why not the fourth and fifth...

The thing is, the boundaries of gaming are being pushed back all the time. So who knows what the future will bring us? What landmark games will the GameCube, the Xbox and even the Playstation 2 have offer us?

We’ll have to wait and see! But although no one really knows what’s going to be offered to us, one things for sure. Whatever we are given will be of the highest quality. And that is no bad thing!

RBS
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:57
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think games manufacturers should not focus on one machine they should focus on every machine so everyone has a chance to play their favourite games.
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Grix: Hence.
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:15
Come to think of it, SWOS wasn't that great...
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:13
What about the Amiga? It too had great games, like SWOS.
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:12
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Global anyway...
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:11
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Games console haven't been going that long...

Sure, our parents had that 'pong' thingy, but other than that... Nothing!

The NES was the first REAL decent console...
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:08
Not if they were all developed for the PC only.
Sun 03/06/01 at 23:05
Regular
Hense a new console being released every five or so years...

*sigh*
Sun 03/06/01 at 22:57
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think games are so advanced that game machines have to improve to keep up.
Sun 03/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> No... we all lose interest and...

Oh, look at that.

*chuckle*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.