GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How I find out file type of a black file?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/07/05 at 22:53
Regular
"where's my tag?"
OMG, I'm tired. The title should be "How can I find out file type of a blank file?"

I have a file, it has no file extension but I'm sure it's not a text file as it's 615MBs big. How can I find out a file's extension when it has none to begin with?
Mon 25/07/05 at 11:18
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Find someone with a Mac and see what it shows up as on there. Seriously. Pc's rely on having the .xxx file extention to display what they are, Mac's don't and should be able to give you a good idea of what a file is if it has no extention as the OS doesn't need them to associate files to apps.
Mon 25/07/05 at 09:32
Regular
Twain wrote:
> A file that size is likely to be any of the following and possibly
> more:
> .bmp

!!!
Sun 24/07/05 at 14:37
Regular
"Captain to you."
A file that is 615mb and you aren’t sure what file type screams illegal film download to me.
Sun 24/07/05 at 14:34
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Keep changing the extension to whatever you think it might be, then run the file and see if you get a message in it's host program similar to "Invalid file format" or "Windows Media Player cannot play this file. The filetype is not supported". A file that size is likely to be any of the following and possibly more:
.zip
.exe
.bmp
.ace
.rar
.avi
.mpg
.mpeg
.wav
Sun 24/07/05 at 00:54
Regular
"NULL"
What is the location of the file?

Where did you get it from?

What is the filename? Try googling it maybe?

Try opening it in a text editor (e.g. WordPad) and paste the first and last lines of the file in here.
Sun 24/07/05 at 00:40
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
The post title is retarded.
Sat 23/07/05 at 22:53
Regular
"where's my tag?"
OMG, I'm tired. The title should be "How can I find out file type of a blank file?"

I have a file, it has no file extension but I'm sure it's not a text file as it's 615MBs big. How can I find out a file's extension when it has none to begin with?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.