GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HDDs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/07/05 at 10:33
Regular
I currently have a Maxtor 200Gb HD in my machine, it's IDE, not SATA.

If I were to buy a Raptor SATA 74Gb, which would be the best option:

1 - Raptor in Primary with OS on, Maxtor as slave

2 - Maxtor as primary with OS (as it is now), Raptor as slave.

Bear in mind the most my PC is used for now is gaming and music playback - WoW and iTunes my most commonly used programs (minus browsing with FF).

My ideas is the following, I ust need your feedback on if it's good enough, or if there'a more efficient way of working it:

Raptor in Primary with OS and all other essential stuff on, like Browser, iTune, OpenOffice etc.
Maxtor as secondary/slave with all my music, games and other junk on.

I'm basically after the most efficient setup, i.e. quickest boot-up, quickest loading of files/games etc. while having vital apps on a separate drive to my junk.

If there's a better way to do it, please let me know!
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:41
Regular
He's too soft anyway. He wont force me to pay him back straight away but he trusts me not to waste money until I've paid him back.

So therefore keeping his trust means future loans if need be =P
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:37
Regular
Ouch.

But still, family loans are interest-free - unless you have a tightarse Brother!
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:31
Regular
The difference is I owe my brother =)
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:30
Regular
I still owe out for my upgrade, but the minimum Monthly payments on my Credit Card will keep that ticking over :D
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:24
Regular
I was also going to get myself a Raptor for the same purpose. Too bad I still owe for my graphics card and processor =(
Wed 20/07/05 at 12:10
Regular
It certainly is a WD :D

So OS on that, junk on IDE.

Sorted!
Wed 20/07/05 at 11:36
Regular
If the Raptor is a Western Digital Raptor, and I stupidly didn't notice, its bleeding well fast.

Stick your OS onto that, it will kick the backside off of an IDE drive, especially a shared one.

[URL]http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2073[/URL]
Some proof of why the Raptor is god damn fast :).
Wed 20/07/05 at 11:25
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> As for deciding between what to put the OS and games on. Would you
> rate a faster booting OS more important than faster loading levels in
> Half Life 2? That's a bigger decision :).

Well at the moment, it's a fairly quick boot-up, but I am having problems shutting down - the HDD does a load of 'shutting down' activity and occasionally hangs on the 'Windows is Shutting Dow' screen. This is only occasional, mind, but it means I can't initiate a shutdown and leave the room, I have to wait, because if it hangs, the machine will just be running forever until I force it to turn off.

The IDE drive will be sharing a cable though - unless I do what I planned and buy another optical drive and give the HD it's own cable.

Oh, and to answer your question, I'd rather a faster OS than a faster game - the games load quick enough as they are :)
Wed 20/07/05 at 11:21
Regular
"NULL"
Bonus wrote:
> If you believe the theory though or the SATA drive will be faster,
> more efficient and a better choice for running the things you want to
> run smoothly.

A SATA Raptor drive will certainly not be slow...
Wed 20/07/05 at 11:13
Regular
The SATA drive will have a faster overall speed by defenition.

It will be a SATA150 drive, and the other will be a ATA133 drive. So straight away you get a speed benefit there, in theory.

In reality, there will be little difference between the two.

If the IDE hard drive is on a cable alone, and not sharing with a DVD or CD drive, then it really doesn't matter which you use unless you find out what the drives are benchmarking at.

A lot of SATA drives are just IDE drives with SATA connectors anyway, so it's up to you :).

If you believe the theory though or the SATA drive will be faster, more efficient and a better choice for running the things you want to run smoothly.

As for deciding between what to put the OS and games on. Would you rate a faster booting OS more important than faster loading levels in Half Life 2? That's a bigger decision :).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.