GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do All Games Need 3D Graphics ???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/10/04 at 21:09
Regular
"Newbie Chatta"
Firstly sorry is this has already been covered, could'nt find it. I have recently been brought a pretty up to date lap top, as since my car accident I havn't been able to do much let alone sit up at my computer (I wish I could). Trouble is every game or demo (that looks good) I try to download seems to require a 3D graphics card which I don't have.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any games that I might be able to downlaod that don't require a 3D graphics card. Please save me from going insane from boredom (plus gaming really helps take my mind of the pain)!
Sun 07/11/04 at 18:06
Regular
"I hate steam!"
Half-life, elastomania or get a emulater and some roms!!
Fri 29/10/04 at 14:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Lipe wrote:
> As someone said, your laptop can't be up to date if it doesn't have a
> graphics card...maybe you could save up for one? You can get some
> cheap ones that will at least let you play old games.

Laptops can't be upgraded unfortunately, the only thing you can add is extra storage space or RAM, but you can't actually get inside and replace pieces of hardware.

Chances are this laptop in question will have a 3D card, a crappy in-built one that will most likely make many PC in-built 3D cards look like 9800 pro's in comparison.

My brother has this problem with his laptop, a crappy 3D card means he's restricted to playing old games like Rollercoaster Tycoon and The Settlers, which is OK for him as he isn't as big on gaming as me.
Thu 28/10/04 at 14:43
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
SarahFrmKent wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on any games that I might be able to
> downlaod that don't require a 3D graphics card. Please save me from
> going insane from boredom (plus gaming really helps take my mind of
> the pain)!

The simplest thing to do would be to get a selection of old games and run them over MS-DOS. It's not very easy to set up, but if you want to play games like Civilization on Windows ME it can be pretty rewarding.
Thu 28/10/04 at 13:19
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Garin wrote:
> What type of games do you like?
Wed 27/10/04 at 18:32
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Unfortunately the majority of laptops cannot be upgraded graphics-wise. However some slightly older games over Software Rendering. Stuff like Half-Life but I've really got no idea of the type of games you may like.
Mon 25/10/04 at 17:07
Regular
As someone said, your laptop can't be up to date if it doesn't have a graphics card...maybe you could save up for one? You can get some cheap ones that will at least let you play old games.
Mon 25/10/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
i could email you pong. if you dont have email, i could post it on a cd... sorry floppy disk, sorry, ill just give you a hard drive with it on.

seriously thouhg yes, they all do, unless they are bearded, grey haired and call themselves "druids" inwhich case it aint a compueter... its a crazy man... or a druid
Mon 25/10/04 at 06:52
Regular
Your laptop is 'pretty up to date'?

Someone's been lying to you I'm afraid.
Sun 24/10/04 at 22:03
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
SarahFrmKent wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on any games that I might be able to
> downlaod that don't require a 3D graphics card. Please save me from
> going insane from boredom (plus gaming really helps take my mind of
> the pain)!

What type of games do you like?
For you a start, you might try browsing http://www.gamehippo.com and http://www.the-underdogs.org
Sun 24/10/04 at 21:47
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
pacman.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.