GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Opinions please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/07/05 at 15:26
Regular
Yes, so, I've caught the blogging bug again.

Want to give your opinions?

[URL]http://www.djh-solutions.co.uk/blog/index.php[/URL]

The main aspect that I want you to look at is the gallery section really, I coded that myself and I would be grateful for any opinions on that front.

Oh and the design, comment on that, please. (The stylesheet is just a hacked version of a WP theme)

Cheers
Mon 18/07/05 at 12:54
Regular
OK, squeezed it into 760px and thats probably as far as I can go.

I've tested it on a 800*600 resolution under Firefox and it just fits in.

"Hmmm..." - Thanks for the program reccomendation, but I use a Linux operating system, so it's not of much use, cheers anyway.
Mon 18/07/05 at 10:43
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[URL]http://www.aowl45.dsl.pipex.com/gamesfreak.png[/URL] for a snap shot of what I get.

As you can (probably) see, the scroll isn't very big at all, so perhaps you could shrink the width down a little more, to prevent the scroll bar from appearing?

It's just a personal annoyance of mine when a web page has a horizontal scroll bar as well.
Mon 18/07/05 at 09:10
"Are you sure?"
gamesfreak wrote:
> cjh wrote:
> It isn't a big problem, as it is generally all white space, aside
> from the bottom "powered by" text.
>
> I've squeezed the page into 795px wide, it might just fit now.

I still have a horizontal scroll bar!
I use this free utility for checking different screen resolutions on the the fly: [URL]http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/resize/[/URL]

When centralising the page I keep to around 740px wide for a screen running at 800px - if you keep to the left (like bbc.co.uk) then you can use around 760px.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:54
Regular
cjh wrote:
> It isn't a big problem, as it is generally all white space, aside
> from the bottom "powered by" text.

I've squeezed the page into 795px wide, it might just fit now.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:48
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> Lazy
> programmers. Hehe.

lol yeah.

The validation issues were just html special characters not being recognised, just had to whip them in and the job was done
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:33
Regular
"NULL"
They should have something which detects whether it is the first time the page has been viewed since changes have been made, and then validates it. If it is valid, it sets a flag to allow the Valid HTML comment to be shown, else it sets a flag to say it can't be. Lazy programmers. Hehe.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:32
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
"Horizontal bar", as in I have to scroll left and right as well as up and down to get the full use of the web site - I'm using an 800 x 600 screen, so I guess you've gone for a 1024 x 768 design (as seems to be quite common these days).

It isn't a big problem, as it is generally all white space, aside from the bottom "powered by" text.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:31
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> Don't wanna be pedantic, but you've got a link at the bottom saying
> "Valid HTML and CSS" and the HTML isn't valid.

Wordpress put that in, but I'll go and sort it now, cheers.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:28
Regular
"NULL"
Don't wanna be pedantic, but you've got a link at the bottom saying "Valid HTML and CSS" and the HTML isn't valid.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:25
Regular
Excellent, that did the trick, cheers Nimco and cjh.

cjh - What do you mean by "horizontal bar"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.