GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Against the Grain..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/06/01 at 11:38
Regular
Well with so many consoles in the pit lanes ready to enter the console world how are we the public and gamers going to recieve them, and also how are the companies behind the console going to be delivered, every console will have a different tactical plan to overcome their rivals, but who's will work?

It will be interesting to see what kind of a reception they get from the gamers and press, but probably the most exciting time is a few days before and after the Gamecube and Xbox launch, these two consoles are launching near enough side by side in America, but its anyones guess what the American's choice will be in those days.

Lots of things can happen to a console to stop people buying it, but the companies will now be targeting the people who aren't sure which one to vote, very much alike are election over here, for there are many many people who don't know who to vote and in these last few days parties are trying to win these peoples support with little speeches and promises.

Its down to the companies which way they play it, they can go on and on about specs if they feel it would work, but I feel that going against the flow of things is the only way to promote the console. The PS2 adverts were appauling, infact they were so bad it was a joke, but that was not the point, the adverts did there job, they raised awareness of the console before launch, and I bet everyone on here talked about wither the Playstation or Playstation 2's advert at one time. Do you see?

The company needs to try something new go against the grain which others would have followed, something completely different, for those millions of people that don't know which to buy yet can be persuaded by something they read, do or look at, and the companies know this.

Nobody exactly knows what that is going to be, as every company wil have an idea, maybe we will get Bill Gates on are milk cartoons, or Mario in are cereal, but what is for certain is that every company is taking the promotion of their console very seriously indeed.

Its going to be interesting.

Thanks
er-no
Sun 03/06/01 at 14:52
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I really have nothing to add to this conversation except that I think er-no has a game to claim at GAD. I'm not sure. I think so though.
Sun 03/06/01 at 14:48
Regular
"everyone says it"
All adverts have to try something new to be able to sell themselves to the viewers, just like the example you mentioned, the Budweiser advert was something completey new, going against the grain of other acholic advertisments, which were extremely dull and boring, but since the budweiser advert the other companies have taken note and we have all the advertisments following suite. Guiness, John Smith's, Murphy's and Strongbow (this to name a few).

The games companies will have to think of many new ideas to promote themelves and show themselves to be any different from the others around them, maybe we will see Mario shaking hands with Sonic and then the praise 'the ultimate friendship', because this kind would work for all the people out there who know that Mario and Sonic in a game together must be the best thing ever...

..because it just really would be.

Depending on how the companies sell themselves in the coming months depends on how well they will do in the future, every company is looking to sell more than the other, but who will sell the most is down to them.
Sun 03/06/01 at 14:08
I suppose what you say is true. Many a game or piece of hardware or miscellaneous item has increased it's sales with controversy, ridiculous things that either annoy or confuse (both of which make you think about it more even if it is mostly negative) and similar nefarious methods. GTA, for example, made a lot of sales because of the controversy about it promoting crime without consequence (so you lose some points or end up outside a hospital, you don't feel anything and you can always retry the level if you have to). Carmageddon is another one that made sales because of the attention created around the whole censorship issue and by challenging that censorship. Then there's the thousands of extremely anonying adverts that help increase sales of other products (Wazzzuppp! True) such as those annoying aforementioned PS2 adverts. What is the 3rd place anyway? Does that mean it's not as good as the first and second?

One problem with the irritate, confuse or shock policies of advertising is that there are certain types of people that it has the opposite effect on. For example, if I ever considered buying a PS or PS2 I would see an advert on the TV and think "no chance, why would I want that?". That's why it is a better plan to spread your adverts around. You get a cutesy advert (Pokemón for example) for the kids, a good action advert for the majority, and a shocking one for those that believe themselves to be rebels. Of course this is very general and everyone responds to a certain type of advert differently but overall it's best to try to cover all bases.

The main thing, perhaps, is advert placement. You put your kiddie adverts on at kids cartoon times and in kids magazines, you put your action ones in most gaming magazines and at later times (when they can be more active) and you put your shocking ones in the news and media eye to spread the word. If you were to ever put your advert in the wrong place it is only likely to be negative because if parents catch wind of such things they may be inclined to take action that will make people hate your company. Of course a kiddie advert at later times would make some people think you were not for them and so other adverts are likely to be less effective too and they would not think of you when looking for their console.

Of course to say that the best adverts go against the grain is probably not quite true. If you think about it, you'll realise that so many adverts use similar tactics that they are actually going with the grain, and the way to go against it would be to have simple adverts that people will totally ignore.
Sun 03/06/01 at 11:48
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Have you seen the GBA trailer it is great, this man is playing his GBA and walking down the street he then walks into a public toilet still playing his GBA walks up to a urinal and stands in front of it, and dosent even move his hands or his eyes away from his GBA, he then shakes his leg and walks out and the caretaker mopping the floor is just staring at him as he walks away!
Sun 03/06/01 at 11:38
Regular
"everyone says it"
Well with so many consoles in the pit lanes ready to enter the console world how are we the public and gamers going to recieve them, and also how are the companies behind the console going to be delivered, every console will have a different tactical plan to overcome their rivals, but who's will work?

It will be interesting to see what kind of a reception they get from the gamers and press, but probably the most exciting time is a few days before and after the Gamecube and Xbox launch, these two consoles are launching near enough side by side in America, but its anyones guess what the American's choice will be in those days.

Lots of things can happen to a console to stop people buying it, but the companies will now be targeting the people who aren't sure which one to vote, very much alike are election over here, for there are many many people who don't know who to vote and in these last few days parties are trying to win these peoples support with little speeches and promises.

Its down to the companies which way they play it, they can go on and on about specs if they feel it would work, but I feel that going against the flow of things is the only way to promote the console. The PS2 adverts were appauling, infact they were so bad it was a joke, but that was not the point, the adverts did there job, they raised awareness of the console before launch, and I bet everyone on here talked about wither the Playstation or Playstation 2's advert at one time. Do you see?

The company needs to try something new go against the grain which others would have followed, something completely different, for those millions of people that don't know which to buy yet can be persuaded by something they read, do or look at, and the companies know this.

Nobody exactly knows what that is going to be, as every company wil have an idea, maybe we will get Bill Gates on are milk cartoons, or Mario in are cereal, but what is for certain is that every company is taking the promotion of their console very seriously indeed.

Its going to be interesting.

Thanks
er-no

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.