GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Building a website (2)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/07/05 at 17:47
Regular
"The Red Shift"
So I built my very own website on freewebs. Admittedly it looked fairly decent, but in short, I learnt next to nothing and obviously it looks generic with one of their 5 templates.

Question being, could I actually make my own website?

Could I use publisher, word, etc?

Could I get a trial version of a proper piece of software?

Making a website appears to be pretty tough for the kind of ideas I have, so it'd generally be easier to do it myself, without knowing anything in particular, therefore a template thing like Publisher would be good.

Any ideas/answers?

Cheers.
Mon 18/07/05 at 21:43
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Clazon wrote:
> Thanks Twain.
>
> I'm pretty impressed with how much I've done just cutting and pasting
> and moving things about!
>
> Cheers.
>
> :)

Any time, any time! Well, any time that I'm online to read your questions!
Sun 17/07/05 at 23:16
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Gamezfreak wrote:
> A load of stuff I didn't understand.

:D
Sun 17/07/05 at 23:13
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Thanks Twain.

I'm pretty impressed with how much I've done just cutting and pasting and moving things about!

Cheers.

:)
Sun 17/07/05 at 23:13
Regular
Clazon wrote:
> Any ideas how I get this image thing sorted out?
> Thanks.

Yeah, the best thing to do is get yourself a webserver (local), otherwise you'll have to put absolute paths to your photos (i.e. /home/daniel/images/blah.gif etc), which is rubbish once you upload your site.

Download apache2 (www.apache.org) and install it, then whip your HTML files in the "htdocs" folder and point your browser to

http://localhost/

Then you can just create a folder in your webserver dir (htdocs) and shove your images in there. Allowing you to set your path to

images/blah.gif

And making uploading to your host easier!
Sun 17/07/05 at 23:09
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
If your image is in your My pictures folder and your website is in a folder which is higher up in the folder hierachy than the web page, then this is what you do:

Well, this'd be easier to describe if I knew the exact paths of the files, but I'll assume that:
- The image is saved in C:\Documents and Settings\Clazon\My Documents\My Pictures
- The page is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Clazon\My Documents\My Webs

When providing the URL of an image to use in a webpage, you normally give a relative path as from the folder where the page is stored. This is the exact thing that you do here. To give the correct URL, assuming the fils are set out as I said, you would type the following URL into the code to make the image work:

The ../ tells the browser to go up one level when searching for the image. Because the page is only one level below the image, you only use ../ once.
Sun 17/07/05 at 22:58
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I've made a couple of pages in HTML using that site, so thanks who ever put that up. (Twain?)

But I'm having problems with images. I set the tags specifying the name of an image file EG. "blah.gif", but when I test it offline, it comes up as a blank box with a red X in. Now I half expected this, as I couldn't see how it would find the file in my pictures?

Any ideas how I get this image thing sorted out?
Thanks.
Sun 17/07/05 at 17:45
"Was the man of marz"
Nimco wrote:
> Try something like 1st Page 2000 (by Evrsoft I think). It's got a good
> HTML editor so you can get used to programming the raw code, plus it
> has some built in templates I think, as well as a standard WYSIWYG.
> And on top of that, it's free.

It's worth it just for the scripts. Usually you have to look in various sources for good ones but this program has loads
Thu 14/07/05 at 20:02
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but learning HTMl honestly is not that hard. In fact, i believe HTML is the simplest, easiest computer language available to learn. If you learnt it you could do whatever the hell you like with your pages without having to rely on the capabilities of a WYSIWYG editor like FrontPage, where the finsihed product doesn't look anything like what it looks like in the Preview pane of FrontPage. Dreamweaver is better at showing previews than FrontPage and I would deffinately advise not going for FrontPage if you did really want to use an editor.

[URL]http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp[/URL]
Thu 14/07/05 at 18:21
"Are you sure?"
Clazon wrote:
> Could I get a trial version of a proper piece of software?

Both Macromedia (Dreamweaver) and Microsoft (Frontpage) offer trial versions - visit their websites for the downloads.

Or you could try Nvu [URL]http://www.nvu.com/[/URL] for a free WYSIWYG editor...
Thu 14/07/05 at 18:08
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Hmmm.

I did want to try and avoid HTML, meh I don't know. I'm just lazy, but have big ambitions and no knowledge. All that = nothing but hope.

I'll look into the matter a little more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.