GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/07/05 at 16:38
Regular
"Anarchic Sponge"
Stephen King once warned that if you turn in an entirely different direction, you shall be punished. Whether itīs by an insane fan (Misery) or the simple fact that your new work is terrible (White Stripes).
About two months ago, I could claim to be the most enthusiastic Stripes that ever lived, two months on, I want nothing to do with them. īGet Behind Me Satanī is entirely different in two respects -
1. Jack White - in my opinion, one of the best guitarists today, only shows off his obvious talents on three out of the thirteen songs. Thatīs less than a quarter of the album, for those who cannot do simple mathematics.
2. Most of the songs are disappointing fillers, something non-existent in their previous records.
I shall stop the Stripes slagging (for the moment, at least) to concentrate on the opening track. I remember ripping into the album, putting it on at full volume, annoying my husband, and pressing play. Once again, as with all their other albums, I was transported into a little world, as Jack White played the first few notes in a brilliantly gothic style, in Blue Orchid. Followed by Megīs simple, yet effective drumming, I was amazed. THE STRIPES WERE BACK, thought I. But I was wrong. After the wonderful Blue Orchid, I clapped and turned on repeat, I should never have turned it off.
Next up was Jack on the marimba in a track called īThe Nurseī. Cool. But I did not realise that this hellishly un-rock n roll instrument would be played for the majority of the album. Later on, I got to a song called īLittle Ghostī. During this bore-fest, Jack adopts a rather Dolly Parton-ey voice and sings about - you guessed it - a little ghost. Aaaaaaargh!
Other White Stripes albums have been phenomenal rock records, this one is even too mellow to be called a country CD. Jack White used to be an icon for me, now he is a figure of hatred. There are only one or two tracks on this album worthy of the Stripes. The rest are, to put it simply, crap.
Stephen King was right, if you are good at something stick with it, donīt ar$e it up trying to be different.
Mon 18/07/05 at 21:49
Regular
I want Tremulant EP.

De-loused is just pure orgasmic though.
Mon 18/07/05 at 20:44
Regular
"bot"
I have Tremulant EP.
Mon 18/07/05 at 20:41
Regular
I'm listening through to Frances The Mute now and I utterly adore every second of it so far (half way through the third song) so I will most probably be getting De-Loused. Anyone have Tremulant E.P too? I think it's brilliant. And when you can listen to a song backwards (Eunuch Provocateur) and it tells you things it's always a bonus.
Mon 18/07/05 at 20:37
Regular
"bot"
seriously!
I wouldn't be able to choose :' {
Mon 18/07/05 at 20:08
Regular
I hate trying to detect sarcasm, mainly because I can't.
Mon 18/07/05 at 20:07
Regular
"bot"
omg hard decision.
Mon 18/07/05 at 20:05
Regular
This thread has once again made me question myself for why I don't have De-Loused.

I'm going to leave it to the vote but it's a toss up between De-Loused or Ok Computer.
Mon 18/07/05 at 18:12
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I still have to get me a WS album or two.
Mon 18/07/05 at 18:06
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I always thought the White Stripes are good because they do something different.

Don't like the album. Disagree with the reviewer about everything else though. Experimentation with style is good. Little Ghost isn't country, it's bluegrass. Rubbish bluegrass.
Sun 17/07/05 at 18:15
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i'll get behind my own satan thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.