GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So many questions?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/07/05 at 19:36
Regular
Hi guys
So I took the plunge and bought a new computer with windows XP on it, still love windows 98se though. Anyhow can some one help me out please, the new PC has a SATA hard drive so my old hard drives cant into my new PC as they are IDE drives, so I looked in my new PC and its all very fancy!

If I buy a new SATA hard drive say 120GB do I need to partion it? or will XP recognise it OK as one drive?

Also the cable that conects the hard drive to the mother board (not the power cable) is very thin on the new PC do you get another cable with a new hard drive?

any help much appreciated
Fri 15/07/05 at 14:00
Regular
Cheers for this, I have ordered a new hard drive and data cable, and also ordered more ram just for luck! if you shop around there are some good deals on hard drives at the moment. I mind the bad old days when memory wporked out at over £1 a gig! not these days though.
Thu 14/07/05 at 14:02
Regular
Don't put a second hard drive on the same channel as the DVD-R if you can help it :).

The whole point of SATA is that it's serial ATA where IDE is Parallel ATA.

Parallel channels need to interlieve read and writes among the channels. Only one thing can happen on the cable at once. so when one drive is reading or writing the other has to wait. With Sata they don't need to wait, both drives can operate at the same time, much like things worked when SCSI was on the go, it was so much faster, but also more expensive than IDE.

If you can afford another SATA drive it's worth it, no point using old technology when the new stuff has so many advantages.
Thu 14/07/05 at 13:53
Regular
"bot"
oh no, a Dell.
Why don't you just use the DVD-RW and a secondary HDD on the same IDE channel though?
Thu 14/07/05 at 07:47
Regular
the only IDE socket on the board is for the CD/DVD writer the other spare socket is for a floppy drive and there are some PCI sockets free
Thu 14/07/05 at 07:39
Regular
Its a Dell computer a 5100 the motherboard dosent look like it had any IDE sockets on it at all just these little black sockets for the data cable that are SATA thats why a was wondering, as all my older computers have used IDE with the big ribbon cable.
Wed 13/07/05 at 20:09
Regular
"bot"
I can't think of a single motherboard that has SATA exclusively...
Wed 13/07/05 at 19:45
Regular
You should just be able to plug the new hard drive in and Windows will detect it. You may still need to format it but this can be done through Windows anyway.

As for the cable, it varies on the hard drive you buy and whether it is a retail or oem version.
Wed 13/07/05 at 19:36
Regular
Hi guys
So I took the plunge and bought a new computer with windows XP on it, still love windows 98se though. Anyhow can some one help me out please, the new PC has a SATA hard drive so my old hard drives cant into my new PC as they are IDE drives, so I looked in my new PC and its all very fancy!

If I buy a new SATA hard drive say 120GB do I need to partion it? or will XP recognise it OK as one drive?

Also the cable that conects the hard drive to the mother board (not the power cable) is very thin on the new PC do you get another cable with a new hard drive?

any help much appreciated

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.