GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can Games Actually Get Better?..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 23:34
Regular
Games are alike everything we use and play in the world, they are given a rating, commented on, and then left for the public to buy and decide, however it has come to my attention that with these ratings and what-nots, can gaming actually get better then what we have already had?

I really am not to sure, when we find a game we love, these games only come once every few years, but I really couldn't say which was my best game comparing Secret Of Mana and Zelda Ocarina of Time, thinking about it I played and received the same levels of enjoyment from both games, hell if I was to go with one it would denfinetely be the Snes Classic because with a multitap and a couple of friends 'nothing' beats it for gameplay and lastibility.

Therefore I really can't see us being that much more amazed in the games we play in the future, sure they can have superb graphics, because they will always get better, but for all other aspects of the game I can't see me enjoying anything in the future more than the old classics first time around.

Games in the future better be worth the wait, its been a long time (CBFD the exception) since I was trying to pick my mouth of the floor when playing a game, nothing in the past twelve months has impressed me that much... and I hope something does in the future, because I have waited long enough!

Thanks
er-no
Tue 05/06/01 at 16:21
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Hmm Adrian you like talking about specs of consoles dont you. Does your job involve knowing this or are you at school like me
Tue 05/06/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
turbonutter wrote:
You do know, don't you, that 128 bit just
> means it can show more colours than a 64 bit. That's all it means.

Not in all cases.

DC 128 Bit machine = 16.7 million colours
PS1 32 Bit machine = 16.7 million colours

It depends on the number of bits they use for the colours in the graphics chip. Both the DC and PS1 are 24 Bit colour machines. As in Binary 24 bits i.e. 101011101010111000101010 = a number so to get the max number of colours you do 2^(Power)24 = 16.7 million

Most PCs can do 32 Bit graphics which means 2^32 = 4.29 Billion colours its capably of displaying.

Scanners can do 36 Bit and I have seen 42 Bit.

I would assume the PS2 is at least 24 Bit Even up to 32 Bit.
Sun 03/06/01 at 15:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Companies Such as Nintendo will always be looking to improve their consoles. So i very much doubt the Gamecube will be the last. Its thanks to these ambitions though that gradually, our gaming experiences are improving.

When consoles started switching to CD format, games companies found they had much more space to work with and make their games bigger. A lot of these improvements have been graphical or sound improvements. So mainly we can say the presentation. But theses advances in consoles also create huge possibilities too !

When i was little and enjoying the Star Wars films, i used to have daydreams of playing a game where i could fly a SnowSpeeder though the legs of an AT-AT, make runs at them head on while flying low to avoid they're laser fire and tie they're legs up. A few years ago this was not happening. Anyone play Empire Strikes Back on the SNES ? The Speeder was bigger than the space between the AT-AT's legs ! I finally got this dream experience on Shadows of the Empire on the N64. Rogue Squadron also had the battle of Hoth but i found the terrain too unlevel to do things the classic film way and the time span to beat the level was also too short. By the sounds of it, Rogue Squadron 2 will have Hoth in it, so hopefully this will offer a much better experience of the battle i loved so much as a kid.

Another gaming daydream i had was to take part in a big space battle as a Rebel of Imperial fighter, flying inbetween and past the big ships from the films. But i didn't just want these big ships as background eye candy, i wanted them to be as much in the battle as the small fighters along with the chance of destroying them. I wanted to be in dogfights with fighters as i flew over a StarDestroyer with fighters both friendly and enemy all around me. Older consoles could not even dream of handling such a battle. Rogue Squadron 2 is set to be an amazing experience for people like me. But just think, with consoles improving all the time, how long will it be before we are playing a Star Wars game that makes us feel like we are playing a battle that looks like a film scene ?

It may be a couple of consoles away yet, but I don't think we're far from this kind of experience. Secret of Mana is a game i've also enjoyed, it was and still is an amazing game. I think Online capabilities are also the way forward. It will be great to play a game like Zelda or Secret of Mana with a screen to yourself while having other players around you. Sega have set this up with Phantasy Star Online and from here its upto games companies to learn and improve from here. Online gaming holds so many possibilities with all different genres of games, it would be foolish to sweep it aside. If games are improved in this area and line connections are improved and made free for players to access, then the future of gaming looks very bright indeed. With power comes improvement and with names such as Miyamoto working their magic with that power, there are still plenty of jaw dropping moments to come.

I for one can't wait to finally have the ultimate Star Wars gaming experience I've always longed for since i was a kid. When LucasArts finally give me that, I wil be a very happy man :-) I've had my battle on Hoth, but not the "perfect" one. And my space battle one is still a dream full stop for now. But its exciting to see companies such as Nintendo making these improvements cause it shows that with every console, my dream gaming experience is getting closer and closer.
Sun 03/06/01 at 15:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
And judging by this, maybe more than ten of them are different.. ;)
Sun 03/06/01 at 15:24
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
MJswerve wrote:
> RBS's average is 30.5 ppd (1dp)

Then if thats is how you work it out then im about 18ppd wow!
Sun 03/06/01 at 15:19
Regular
"smile, it's free"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Heh, I average 76 posts a day!

Yet only about 80 words.....
Sun 03/06/01 at 15:07
I think that the technological advances over the past decade has affected the gaming industry, but the affects have only been felt cosmetically. You have all of the new PS2, GC and X-Box game trailers, and they look very good, but watching the games FMV's, and the enjoyment of playing the game are two different things. People wont care about polygon counts or processing power if the games aren't built on a solid gameplay. The extra dimesion since the N64, PS and Saturn was a long time in coming, and it did allow the production of many groundbreaking games, like Zelda, Metal Gear Solid etc. but the extra graphical power has been mainly used to just make the games look better, and not necessarily play better.

Extra graphicaal power has killed originality in the console market. In the PC gaming market, this has had less of an effect, with games built on gameplay like Half-Life, Black and White, The sims etc. We need more games like Tetris, that suddenly awaken the public to what games are all about.
Sun 03/06/01 at 14:19
Regular
NO you mistook the point of my post. Do you know anything about him you wish to share. E.g with me.

My coursework is on him for some reason.

Games Guru. I am not the CheatGuru
Sun 03/06/01 at 14:15
Regular
"You've upset me"
MJswerve wrote:
Do any of you know about Ronnie Biggs the great train
> robber.

Ummm, no I've never heard of the most famous bandit of all time. Who is he?

PS. For all the Cheatguru's out there, I am being SARCASTIC

:-)
Sun 03/06/01 at 14:09
Regular
My english coursework is boring so I am going to stay here for a while. Do any of you know about Ronnie Biggs the great train robber.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.