GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Return of King of The Ring?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/07/05 at 21:49
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
RETURN OF KING OF THE RING PROSPECTS

I just got through reading the guest editorial regarding bringing back the King of the Ring tournament, and I have to say I like the idea... but I'd like to see this tournament taken to another level if it is indeed re-established. Every year between the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania there is a huge gap of time to fill. WWE even has a PPV in February that is often predictable because we already know where they are headed for the big show a month later. I proposed if WWE were to bring back the King of the Ring it be used as the February PPV replacing No Way Out or as a lead into it.

The Royal Rumble gives the winner a choice of which Championship he wants to challenge for at WrestleMania, which leaves the other World Title looking less important. A way to rectify this and add some compelling TV is to do a company wide tournament for a shot at the other World Title. A field of 32 wrestlers can be compiled (16 from each brand). All vying for a title match at wrestling. Over the course of a month leading to the PPV, on both Raw and Smackdown we would see the early rounds of tournament. From Tajiri, to Paul London, to Charlie Haas, to Christian, and all the way up to main event talents like Kurt Angle (if he is not champion) would be in this tournament. There should be a feeling that anyone could win this tournament much like NCAA's March Madness, there should be upsets.

The final four should advance to the PPV where we would see the final three matches (two semi's and then the final) of the tournament.. which would end in an interpromotional match for the right to go to Mania. As hard as it is to win the Rumble... it would be equally if not more hard to win five straight matches with everyone willing to go that extra mile for a shot at the Big Dance and the Gold, this is how it should be promoted, thus making the King of the Ring seem just as deserving of the Mania title match.

This tournament would not only serve purpose to create a legitimate contender for the "other" World Title at WrestleMania, but also could create or further some feuds leading into Mania, and elevate some talents. We as fans would get compelling TV and good wrestling (hopefully) with the tournament, and WWE would make the February PPV actually mean something and not be just filler until we get to WrestleMania.

KaGe
Chicago, IL

---------------------------
I hope it does come back as i always used to like it, and i would also like it if it meant more.
I was thinking it could take place near to Summerslam (obvioulsy not this year as it is too short notice) or Survivor Series, to determine the contender for the title.
Sun 21/08/05 at 22:05
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think Mabel winning KOTR 95 killed it off
Tue 12/07/05 at 13:50
Regular
"..."
Nah, they should hold an annual 'King of the Deathmatches' tournament instead. :->
Mon 11/07/05 at 16:10
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Dont you think they could revamp it though?

Bring it back and make a big deal about it...i would rather have King of the Ring qualifying matches than Tough Enough or whatever crap Vince decides to put on the show
Mon 11/07/05 at 13:44
Regular
"..."
IMHO opinion, King of The Ring died a death because of stupid booking in previous years. How can you put across that winning King of The Ring is a big thing and that the winner will be the 'next big thing' when previous winners have included Mabel and Billy Gunn....
Sun 10/07/05 at 15:45
Regular
It used to be great in the mid-nineties, but they began to butcher it near the end, only having the quarter finals. It was better having the tournament from the semis onwards on the PPV and then just have a World Title match aswell.

And they used to show every qualifying match on TV, but later on a lot of them were on house shows or non-mainstream shows like Heat. Meh, I miss the good 'ol days.
Sun 10/07/05 at 15:29
Regular
"Paid, Laid n Made"
this may sound rubbish but i think they should have a smackdown / raw king of the ring

where the winner of smackdown faces the smackdown champ

and the winner of raw faces the raw champ

otherwise the winner faces their champ on the show

and the other show has no number 1 contender

or:

they can have it like the last king of the ring where the 2 last samckdown and raw superstars faced each other in the semi finals.

or. the winner of the smackdown rounds faces the raw finalist.

thanks

these are just ideas
Sun 10/07/05 at 15:06
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
I'd like to see the return of KOTR, and to me, that sounds like a good idea to have it between the Rumble and Wrestlemania because as you say, we all do usually know who the winner at No Way Out is going to be...
Sun 10/07/05 at 10:16
Regular
"Plate of glue"
I loved King Of The Ring. Why WWE got rid of it I don't know.

Also, I don't want Lesnar to go down in history as the last KOTR.
Sun 10/07/05 at 01:11
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I used to love it but having it in febuary would make it pointless, the whole idea is the winner gets his shot at Summerslam. The reason it died (IMO) was because it became too exstended, it needs to be a self contained thing on the night with maybe 8 or 16 people, instead they had all manner of qualifying rounds with only the final or semi-finals shown at the PPV.
Sat 09/07/05 at 21:49
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
RETURN OF KING OF THE RING PROSPECTS

I just got through reading the guest editorial regarding bringing back the King of the Ring tournament, and I have to say I like the idea... but I'd like to see this tournament taken to another level if it is indeed re-established. Every year between the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania there is a huge gap of time to fill. WWE even has a PPV in February that is often predictable because we already know where they are headed for the big show a month later. I proposed if WWE were to bring back the King of the Ring it be used as the February PPV replacing No Way Out or as a lead into it.

The Royal Rumble gives the winner a choice of which Championship he wants to challenge for at WrestleMania, which leaves the other World Title looking less important. A way to rectify this and add some compelling TV is to do a company wide tournament for a shot at the other World Title. A field of 32 wrestlers can be compiled (16 from each brand). All vying for a title match at wrestling. Over the course of a month leading to the PPV, on both Raw and Smackdown we would see the early rounds of tournament. From Tajiri, to Paul London, to Charlie Haas, to Christian, and all the way up to main event talents like Kurt Angle (if he is not champion) would be in this tournament. There should be a feeling that anyone could win this tournament much like NCAA's March Madness, there should be upsets.

The final four should advance to the PPV where we would see the final three matches (two semi's and then the final) of the tournament.. which would end in an interpromotional match for the right to go to Mania. As hard as it is to win the Rumble... it would be equally if not more hard to win five straight matches with everyone willing to go that extra mile for a shot at the Big Dance and the Gold, this is how it should be promoted, thus making the King of the Ring seem just as deserving of the Mania title match.

This tournament would not only serve purpose to create a legitimate contender for the "other" World Title at WrestleMania, but also could create or further some feuds leading into Mania, and elevate some talents. We as fans would get compelling TV and good wrestling (hopefully) with the tournament, and WWE would make the February PPV actually mean something and not be just filler until we get to WrestleMania.

KaGe
Chicago, IL

---------------------------
I hope it does come back as i always used to like it, and i would also like it if it meant more.
I was thinking it could take place near to Summerslam (obvioulsy not this year as it is too short notice) or Survivor Series, to determine the contender for the title.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.