GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NAME YOUR WORST 10 GAMES"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 21:25
Regular
Ok, a long one for you. You don't HAVE to read it all, so don't reply with 'zzzzzzz' or 'very good but I didn't read any of it'. So put up with my rambling, write your own ten worst games of all time, with a short description and we'll have a good discussion!

I don’t really make a habit of playing rubbish games needless to say I don’t really like them. I barely have enough time to play the decent games around, so I have managed to avoid some games like the plague, however there have been the odd few that have escaped my eye and hacked into my collection! Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is an absolutely pathetic game, it has sold unjustly, but such is life! Starting with the best of the worst, and the last being the absolute disgrace of video gaming!

Sega Extreme Sports: Ok, I haven’t actually bothered to play through every single mode, but I can tell you that this isn’t the best Sega Sports game ever created, and really isn’t worth buying – maybe a rent would suffice, but this is not one for the Sports fan, or even ‘good game’ fan. There is a 2player mode, which is entertaining for about as long as the loading time, and about as entertaining too! The game has very nice visuals, and some good sound effects and music, but is plagued by one of the dodgiest control systems ever known to man! There are only 6 extreme events to choose from, but they all fail to excite. The game is too difficult anyway, so no one in their right mind would want to get to grips with it! I really wanted to ignore the below par ratings and reviews for this game, but it lives up to it’s reviews – nothing more than average at best I’m afraid! I couldn’t get on with the Hang gliding – turn left to go right and vice versa, very odd. But hey! If it’s a run of the mill, uninspiring Sega Sports game that you’re after then Extreme Sports is for you.

Tee Off! This, yet another of my most hated Dreamcast games… At the time when I bought this I really couldn’t have been thinking straight. The graphics were ok, very crisp, but the game had the most annoying, monotonous music to it! It literally, very nearly, drove me crazy! The characters were kind of cartoon styled, but had some ‘personality’ to them, however the game was SO boring. I have to be honest and tell you that I completed the game once on easy mode – yes a championship of virtual golf was just about bearable, but if you hate golf in general & the idea of playing golf then you will not like this game at all! This will hopefully fade away in the memory of my early Dreamcast game playing days! Complete boredom, re-created in a silly, but ultimately ‘boring’ way – if you like golf then maybe your view would differ!

Virtua Striker 2000. Oh dear. The first arcade conversion of a football game to Dreamcast is nothing short of abysmal. The game may well look fairly stylish, with accurately represented ‘made up’ footballers, but when you take the trouble to plug a controller in and start playing you will see why Dreamcast owners are still craving for that all important top quality Football game – something to rival the ISS Pro, and FIFA of this world, but unfortunately Virtua Striker barely even passes for a video game – yet alone a football simulation! The controls are terrible! As with so many flawed games the control system is the prime factor for letting it down, and for helping it achieve ‘flawed’ status. Well, from my experience, and they weren’t nice, there were only three moves: tackle (a ridiculously extravagant sliding Bruce Lee fighting style tackle), shoot (err – very original, but this was the only effective button in the game!) and pass (no accuracy in passing at all – it’s like pot luck). The game is the definitive mess, and although looks better than Infogrames’ UEFA striker, doesn’t come close on terms of playability. Avoid like…well, just avoid!

Sega GT – the rip off of 2000? Well, it didn’t exactly sell bucket loads, and so the majority of the world will be saved of this abysmal ‘recreation’ of one of the best racing games of all time – Gran Turismo on the Playstation. Sega GT is incredibly slow, when you’re going along a straight at 200mph you may as well be doing 5 because the overall speed, and refresh rate is just so appalling! The game design is almost identical to the GT set up – win money by winning championships and so forth, and there are some ‘innovations’ like sponsors (McDonald’s for instance), but the every single car handles like a dying tortoise – it’s slow in the first place, but when you actually want to turn the thing without damaging it, it takes forever! If and when you manage to turn the car, and then accidentally hit a wall the game becomes more like a pinball game – no longer a racing game! You’ll find that as soon as you even touch a wall you’ll be flying off to the opposite side of the road. This is disgraceful in my view, they try to copy something good, but manage to make it a hell of a lot worse. The lighting effects are the only reason why this game might be considered ‘worth a look’.

In at number 6 arrives the pathetic and shameful Tomb Raider 1. This is the only Tomb Raider I have owned, and to make things worse it was on the ill-fated Sega Saturn! The graphics didn’t even seem average when it was released, although they were almost as good as the Playstation and PC versions. I tried really hard to like this game, after all everyone was talking about it, and I felt I should be trying to fit in! The levels were about as interesting as the football results speaker on the BBC at 4.45pm on a Saturday (and that’s saying something!) and, the sound was just terrible! If sound travels at 700mph or something it must have taken a very long detour to reach my ears every time I shot the gun at a wolf or something (maybe the sound had to escape by completing the game?), and so this just soured an already diabolical situation. I don’t really need to warn you about this version, as you can’t buy the Saturn game new anymore! Although, you might see one at auction or in a car boot at a sale – if you’re unlucky that is.

So, what’s my fifth most hated game of all time? It’s becoming nail-bitingly close now as I near the finish line. Could WWTBAM? Make it to the number one spot? It certainly doesn’t deserve number 5 spot, oh no! This is home to something far better than ‘that’ game. Again, Sega Saturn owners may be more in tune to this game, as it was an exclusive for the console. Unfortunately it is yet another game made by Sega – Sega Touring Car Championship. I can think back a few years now to a time when Sega ruled the world with the Mega Drive, and I look on today and see that they are still producing the best games available, but they always have managed to balance things out with the odd game that deserves nothing more than a slap in the face – if it had one! Touring Car is not a great game it may well have been a quality arcade coin op, but the conversion was painful. The graphics were not very nice, although I was impressed that a Vauxhall Calibra made it into the game! The problem was that the Saturn was trying to put too many polygons on the screen at once and so everything blurred together! This did mean that you had to be incredibly aware of what was going on because it was like you were driving at light speed! It was so fast, but ultimately lacking in stability – like an out of control Pentium 4!

Number 4 - This is for the PSX owners out there: maybe you can share my horror at the Blockbuster hit - Blade. I’m a huge fan of the movie, I think it’s a fantastic film, but the game could, and should have been a lot better and contained more of the superb aspects of the film. I would love to see Blade remade and brought out onto a new console like the XBox, but I imagine Blade 2 will have been released by then. The graphics were dreadful, and the controls were deliberately mean! I don’t think many people bought Blade - I thankfully didn’t but have experienced the disaster at one of my friends’ house. Blade isn’t the worst Playstation game available, but it tries darn hard to be! You may like it, but I didn’t see the point. Poor story line, and really bad acting – stay clear!

Thinking back now, I’m pleased to have sold it when I did – I hardly ever played it and so forgot about it until I managed to have a clear out and sell it on. First impressions are nearly always good for everybody of a game that looks good, and seems innovative and fun, and Bass Fishing is one of those games. The graphics look fantastic to begin with, and you can’t stop playing for hours on end, but you soon start to think (I did anyway). The lighting and water effects are ok, but don’t judge a game by the way it looks! Graphics are important, and Sega knew this when they released the fish ‘em up, but there are so many points to be annoyed with that the game falls short of bearable. The in game voices are awful. The music is distasteful (in that its utter tripe), and you’ll soon find that everything becomes ‘oh so similar’ after a few games. You’ll find the places where the Super Bass hang out, and you’ll probably catch a few, but it’s always the same! The Championships are long and tiresome, and the game is only single player so turn taking is the only option if there are lots of you. The worst part though has to be the loading times. I reckon this must be in the top ten for slowest loading game of all time for sure! Everything is a chore in Bass Fishing, but at least you can use the rod for playing Soul Calibur!

The second worst game of all time goes to Virtua Fighter on the Sega Saturn. I felt that the sequel was such an improvement that it couldn’t possibly be on the same format, but Virtua Fighter 1 has to be the worst 32-bit fighting game of all time. The graphics are, what’s the word ‘blocky’ and just take a look at the speed of the characters! Oh the speed! The movement is so slow! I do appreciate that VF1 was the first Sega Saturn title, but it really shouldn’t have been allowed on to the console. With such games like Tekken and Soul Blade about VF was overshadowed by much better fighters. I don’t know why but I’ve found one in my Saturn stock collection, so I’ll have to get a hammer out and smash the game to pieces! I think there must have been around 10 moves per character, and about 8 characters! I shouldn’t complain too much really because AM2 did redeem themselves with VF2, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix, however they seem to have made the same mistake with Virtua Fighter 3TB on the Dreamcast. Let’s hope that the cross format Virtua Fighter X receives a little more attention and silence’s Tekken fans! Could Soul Calibur be beaten? As I say, VF1 was dire – compare it to even a Mega drive fighting game, and you’ll understand.

I think you probably guessed which game would occupy the number one position in my most hated games, and yes it is indeed Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? I truly hate this game simply because it demonstrates exactly what I mean by laziness of games designers. It’s barely even a game! Ironically it happens to be the biggest selling game of all time, and so we've nearly all been submitted to such direness. And they're bringing out a junior edition? Eidos' share price will soar.
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:55
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:46
word*
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:45
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
It would be you RBS the one that re-wrote out a 2080 character message and added another 100 or so onto the bottom!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:44
Not trying to get your word count up by any chance?
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:35
Regular
"You've upset me"
EDange Mast2K1er wrote:
> Ok, a long one for you. You don't HAVE to read it all, so don't
> reply with 'zzzzzzz' or 'very good but I didn't read any of it'. So
> put up with my rambling, write your own ten worst games of all time,
> with a short description and we'll have a good discussion!

I
> don’t really make a habit of playing rubbish games needless to say I
> don’t really like them. I barely have enough time to play the decent
> games around, so I have managed to avoid some games like the plague,
> however there have been the odd few that have escaped my eye and
> hacked into my collection! Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is an
> absolutely pathetic game, it has sold unjustly, but such is life!
> Starting with the best of the worst, and the last being the absolute
> disgrace of video gaming!

Sega Extreme Sports: Ok, I haven’t
> actually bothered to play through every single mode, but I can tell
> you that this isn’t the best Sega Sports game ever created, and
> really isn’t worth buying – maybe a rent would suffice, but this is
> not one for the Sports fan, or even ‘good game’ fan. There is a
> 2player mode, which is entertaining for about as long as the loading
> time, and about as entertaining too! The game has very nice visuals,
> and some good sound effects and music, but is plagued by one of the
> dodgiest control systems ever known to man! There are only 6 extreme
> events to choose from, but they all fail to excite. The game is too
> difficult anyway, so no one in their right mind would want to get to
> grips with it! I really wanted to ignore the below par ratings and
> reviews for this game, but it lives up to it’s reviews – nothing
> more than average at best I’m afraid! I couldn’t get on with the
> Hang gliding – turn left to go right and vice versa, very odd. But
> hey! If it’s a run of the mill, uninspiring Sega Sports game that
> you’re after then Extreme Sports is for you.

Tee Off! This,
> yet another of my most hated Dreamcast games… At the time when I
> bought this I really couldn’t have been thinking straight. The
> graphics were ok, very crisp, but the game had the most annoying,
> monotonous music to it! It literally, very nearly, drove me crazy!
> The characters were kind of cartoon styled, but had some
> ‘personality’ to them, however the game was SO boring. I have to be
> honest and tell you that I completed the game once on easy mode –
> yes a championship of virtual golf was just about bearable, but if
> you hate golf in general & the idea of playing golf then you
> will not like this game at all! This will hopefully fade away in the
> memory of my early Dreamcast game playing days! Complete boredom,
> re-created in a silly, but ultimately ‘boring’ way – if you like
> golf then maybe your view would differ!

Virtua Striker 2000.
> Oh dear. The first arcade conversion of a football game to Dreamcast
> is nothing short of abysmal. The game may well look fairly stylish,
> with accurately represented ‘made up’ footballers, but when you take
> the trouble to plug a controller in and start playing you will see
> why Dreamcast owners are still craving for that all important top
> quality Football game – something to rival the ISS Pro, and FIFA of
> this world, but unfortunately Virtua Striker barely even passes for
> a video game – yet alone a football simulation! The controls are
> terrible! As with so many flawed games the control system is the
> prime factor for letting it down, and for helping it achieve
> ‘flawed’ status. Well, from my experience, and they weren’t nice,
> there were only three moves: tackle (a ridiculously extravagant
> sliding Bruce Lee fighting style tackle), shoot (err – very
> original, but this was the only effective button in the game!) and
> pass (no accuracy in passing at all – it’s like pot luck). The game
> is the definitive mess, and although looks better than Infogrames’
> UEFA striker, doesn’t come close on terms of playability. Avoid
> like…well, just avoid!

Sega GT – the rip off of 2000? Well, it
> didn’t exactly sell bucket loads, and so the majority of the world
> will be saved of this abysmal ‘recreation’ of one of the best racing
> games of all time – Gran Turismo on the Playstation. Sega GT is
> incredibly slow, when you’re going along a straight at 200mph you
> may as well be doing 5 because the overall speed, and refresh rate
> is just so appalling! The game design is almost identical to the GT
> set up – win money by winning championships and so forth, and there
> are some ‘innovations’ like sponsors (McDonald’s for instance), but
> the every single car handles like a dying tortoise – it’s slow in
> the first place, but when you actually want to turn the thing
> without damaging it, it takes forever! If and when you manage to
> turn the car, and then accidentally hit a wall the game becomes more
> like a pinball game – no longer a racing game! You’ll find that as
> soon as you even touch a wall you’ll be flying off to the opposite
> side of the road. This is disgraceful in my view, they try to copy
> something good, but manage to make it a hell of a lot worse. The
> lighting effects are the only reason why this game might be
> considered ‘worth a look’.

In at number 6 arrives the pathetic
> and shameful Tomb Raider 1. This is the only Tomb Raider I have
> owned, and to make things worse it was on the ill-fated Sega Saturn!
> The graphics didn’t even seem average when it was released, although
> they were almost as good as the Playstation and PC versions. I tried
> really hard to like this game, after all everyone was talking about
> it, and I felt I should be trying to fit in! The levels were about
> as interesting as the football results speaker on the BBC at 4.45pm
> on a Saturday (and that’s saying something!) and, the sound was just
> terrible! If sound travels at 700mph or something it must have taken
> a very long detour to reach my ears every time I shot the gun at a
> wolf or something (maybe the sound had to escape by completing the
> game?), and so this just soured an already diabolical situation. I
> don’t really need to warn you about this version, as you can’t buy
> the Saturn game new anymore! Although, you might see one at auction
> or in a car boot at a sale – if you’re unlucky that is.

So,
> what’s my fifth most hated game of all time? It’s becoming
> nail-bitingly close now as I near the finish line. Could WWTBAM?
> Make it to the number one spot? It certainly doesn’t deserve number
> 5 spot, oh no! This is home to something far better than ‘that’
> game. Again, Sega Saturn owners may be more in tune to this game, as
> it was an exclusive for the console. Unfortunately it is yet another
> game made by Sega – Sega Touring Car Championship. I can think back
> a few years now to a time when Sega ruled the world with the Mega
> Drive, and I look on today and see that they are still producing the
> best games available, but they always have managed to balance things
> out with the odd game that deserves nothing more than a slap in the
> face – if it had one! Touring Car is not a great game it may well
> have been a quality arcade coin op, but the conversion was painful.
> The graphics were not very nice, although I was impressed that a
> Vauxhall Calibra made it into the game! The problem was that the
> Saturn was trying to put too many polygons on the screen at once and
> so everything blurred together! This did mean that you had to be
> incredibly aware of what was going on because it was like you were
> driving at light speed! It was so fast, but ultimately lacking in
> stability – like an out of control Pentium 4!

Number 4 - This is
> for the PSX owners out there: maybe you can share my horror at the
> Blockbuster hit - Blade. I’m a huge fan of the movie, I think it’s a
> fantastic film, but the game could, and should have been a lot
> better and contained more of the superb aspects of the film. I would
> love to see Blade remade and brought out onto a new console like the
> XBox, but I imagine Blade 2 will have been released by then. The
> graphics were dreadful, and the controls were deliberately mean! I
> don’t think many people bought Blade - I thankfully didn’t but have
> experienced the disaster at one of my friends’ house. Blade isn’t
> the worst Playstation game available, but it tries darn hard to be!
> You may like it, but I didn’t see the point. Poor story line, and
> really bad acting – stay clear!

Thinking back now, I’m pleased
> to have sold it when I did – I hardly ever played it and so forgot
> about it until I managed to have a clear out and sell it on. First
> impressions are nearly always good for everybody of a game that
> looks good, and seems innovative and fun, and Bass Fishing is one of
> those games. The graphics look fantastic to begin with, and you
> can’t stop playing for hours on end, but you soon start to think (I
> did anyway). The lighting and water effects are ok, but don’t judge
> a game by the way it looks! Graphics are important, and Sega knew
> this when they released the fish ‘em up, but there are so many
> points to be annoyed with that the game falls short of bearable. The
> in game voices are awful. The music is distasteful (in that its
> utter tripe), and you’ll soon find that everything becomes ‘oh so
> similar’ after a few games. You’ll find the places where the Super
> Bass hang out, and you’ll probably catch a few, but it’s always the
> same! The Championships are long and tiresome, and the game is only
> single player so turn taking is the only option if there are lots of
> you. The worst part though has to be the loading times. I reckon
> this must be in the top ten for slowest loading game of all time for
> sure! Everything is a chore in Bass Fishing, but at least you can
> use the rod for playing Soul Calibur!

The second worst game of
> all time goes to Virtua Fighter on the Sega Saturn. I felt that the
> sequel was such an improvement that it couldn’t possibly be on the
> same format, but Virtua Fighter 1 has to be the worst 32-bit
> fighting game of all time. The graphics are, what’s the word
> ‘blocky’ and just take a look at the speed of the characters! Oh the
> speed! The movement is so slow! I do appreciate that VF1 was the
> first Sega Saturn title, but it really shouldn’t have been allowed
> on to the console. With such games like Tekken and Soul Blade about
> VF was overshadowed by much better fighters. I don’t know why but
> I’ve found one in my Saturn stock collection, so I’ll have to get a
> hammer out and smash the game to pieces! I think there must have
> been around 10 moves per character, and about 8 characters! I
> shouldn’t complain too much really because AM2 did redeem themselves
> with VF2, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix, however they seem to
> have made the same mistake with Virtua Fighter 3TB on the Dreamcast.
> Let’s hope that the cross format Virtua Fighter X receives a little
> more attention and silence’s Tekken fans! Could Soul Calibur be
> beaten? As I say, VF1 was dire – compare it to even a Mega drive
> fighting game, and you’ll understand.

I think you probably
> guessed which game would occupy the number one position in my most
> hated games, and yes it is indeed Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? I
> truly hate this game simply because it demonstrates exactly what I
> mean by laziness of games designers. It’s barely even a game!
> Ironically it happens to be the biggest selling game of all time,
> and so we've nearly all been submitted to such direness. And they're
> bringing out a junior edition? Eidos' share price will soar.

Err... Dan? Why didn't you just say What are your least favourite games? Here are mine:

Instead of putting it into a 2082 word post?!?!?!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:27
Regular
"Whatever!"
These are the worst games I have ever owned or played:

Home Alone 2 (GB)
FIFA 64 (N64)
FIFA 97 (PSOne)
WWF In Your House (PSOne)
Rise of the Robots (Amiga)
V Rally (N64)
South Park Chefs Luv Shack (N64)
South Park (N64)
Lamborgini Challenge (N64)
Clayfighter 63 1/3
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:09
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Zeldapro wrote:
> Zelda OoT and MM are the best!

Majoras Mask isn't that good. Not for a Zelda game anyway. It wasn't Shigsy that made it, that's why! It's still not a bad game but it has nothing to do with Zelda. There's no Gannondorf. WHAT!!!!!
Sun 03/06/01 at 12:02
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Zelda OoT and MM are the best!
Sun 03/06/01 at 11:19
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> My worst...

DK64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Zelda - TOOT
Zelda
> - MM
Mario 64
Goldeneye
Mario Kart
F 0 X
Smash Bros

Why? No
> blood. They're not cool...

Hey do I sense a Nintendo biased person around here. Is it just me or do you hate Nintendo. Funky smellin' stilton eaters hate Nintendo and I have scientific proof to back me up.
Sun 03/06/01 at 11:18
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Yup, I was lying Vottanwotsit.

I only own an N64 - the blood comment was supposed to be sarcasm.

Those games I mentioned are all pretty good/classics.

My worst game ever?

South Park.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.