GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The GAD Syndrome"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 20:46
Regular
I found out about UKDiscussions.com after a brief scanning of the SR magazine and finding a advertisment for Gameaday in it.

Wow! I thought, a free game every day, that does sound good. I immediately went to www.gameaday.co.uk and had a brief read through. I was disappointed when I found out that you had to add a review, a cheat, or contribute a decent post to a forum at ukdiscussion, instead of just entering a draw.

But that didn't mean I was going to give up. Under the name of Swish I posted a Harvest Moon PS (which is a pretty decent game) review and a cheat.

I waited until the next day, and checked the GAD winners list. I wasn't there. This time I tried harder. I submitted a rather good review on Jet Set Radio DC, a skate-type game. The next day arrived. I wasn't on the list either here. Maybe they just haven't read it yet, I thought. I checked the next day as well, nope, still no Swish on the table of winners.

I gave up, I tried the two things Im good at, and nothing came back for my efforts, I didn't even want to try the forums. I noticed that todays winner had won already GAD not once, not twice, but 5 times. It didn't seem fair.

About 3 weeks later I checked the GAD winners list. The latest winner had won for a 'SR Docusoap'. Intrigued, I decided to check it out. As it appeared it was layed out in a story format. Reading through it I had to chuckle, it was pretty good, even though I didn't know any of the people that it was talking about.

Interested, I click on a link below the story which took me to the forums main page, I selected the 'Future of Gaming', and was brought up with a page full of topics. Id never been on a forum before, and was quite baffled - abbreveations where used that I didn't understand. But, I was impressed with what I saw and read. Grix and Meka Dragon appeared reguarly.

I wanted to make a post. I had forgotten my previous password. I signed up again, this time as §w!§µ, a jazzed up version of my previous name. I made a post about how the PS2 is a bit expensive for people who dont earn their own living, such as myself - "Alot of people dont wan't to blow away 300 on one thing".

As I posted more things, I understood what was what. That FOG stood for Future of Gaming. I knew who should be respected such as Grix Thraves and Tony, and who should not, such as Cheatguru.

Things got better and better. Newbie, Regular, Notable, and Staff Status's were added, then a tag line. I forgot about GAD, and started to have fun on the forums. It's interesting to see what people think.

I survived and recovered from the GAD syndrome - only posting to win, but failing. Quite a few people have been beaten by the syndrome. So there's a message for other newbie's, forget about the GAD, focus on the forum itself, the games are just a bonus. I still have not won a game or film, but maybe in the future I will be lucky enough to come top, and I'm not going to cry if I don't.

Thanks for your time,
Swish
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:56
§w¡§µ wrote:
> While were on the GAD subject, Im a bit curious as to how you SR
> crew manage to read every post, review, and set of cheats submitted
> every day. Do all of them get read, whether they're short replys, or
> whether they're long accounts.

Also does it depend what forum
> they're in, coz when I do come up with an attempt, I wanna make sure
> it gets read, do you only accept the posts from the Prime Topics FOG bit
> as GAD attempts, and not the Chatter?

Waiting for your reply.

Still waiting....
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:24
§w¡§µ wrote:
> Quaketheroom, you should take a look at the Gameaday winner at
> Gameaday.co.uk, and see what they've written. That should give you
> some clues.

Yea i have seen a few reviews but they write about 5 paragraphs everytime. I dont do nearly as much as they do.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:19
Regular
There was the FUCIT rule, but I forget what it stands for.

It's something like:

F - Fair, or not biased.
U - Unique.
C - Concise.
I - Intelligent.
T - Humour.

Something along the lines of that. Basically, you must make a judgement that doesn't put you on sides of any console, if you make a console war discuss... please don't though.

Which brings me to Unique. It MUST, this is the MOST important point, be original.

There is no point in writing about the first thing that comes into your head, IE console wars or how good a console is, because to be fair, we just aren't interested. Far too many topics ignore this, and they suffer the same fate of people just ignoring them, as they've heard it all before.

Concise. Don't write pages apon pages, because no one is going to read that either. Make a good point, and keep it short.

Intelligent. You'll get bonus marks if your spelling and punctuation is good, and people will read much better if they understand what the hell you're going on about.

Don't use netspeak either, it's really not nice.

Sense of Humour is important in posts. The T used to stand for something like this... but I can't remember what it was.

People will enjoy your post more if they get a smile from it. It keeps people reading, as they are happy to do so. If you just write a really informative post... and it's really dull, no one is going to read it.

But PLEASE remember to be original. This is very hard, but OH so important.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:13
Oops, sorry, I accidently double clicked on submit.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:12
Quaketheroom, you should take a look at the Gameaday winners at Gameaday.co.uk, and see what they've written. That should give you some clues.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:12
Quaketheroom, you should take a look at the Gameaday winner at Gameaday.co.uk, and see what they've written. That should give you some clues.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:09
ok thanks for the tips!
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:06
Or you could talk about something that interests you or think others should know about.
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:05
Grix Thraves wrote:
> SonicRav wrote:
"Anyway, the Docusoap thing... the reason I
> wasn't in it
> is due to me being so popular"

Added to
> the fact that you don't work for SR. :0)

Yes, that's true!
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:05
QuakeTheRoom wrote:
> Has anyone, preferebly someone that has won, know any good tips on
> writing a good review or topic for GAD?

Well, I haven't won, but, I can tell you some tips and tricks to attempt it:

First of all it has to make a point (if its a post). Or it could be a story - check some of the other SR Posse stories - but it has to be really good. A bit of humour is good, but not too much - you don't want to turn it into a joke. Very Important : Good punctuation. And they're usually quite long (about 4, 5 or 6 averagly long paragraphs)

Others will probably add to this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.