GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gerrard asks to go"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/07/05 at 15:52
Regular
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has indicated a desire to leave Anfield following the European champions' decision to reject a bid from Chelsea.

Gerrard has declared his intention to quit his only club after rejecting Liverpool's offer of a new contract.

The two parties have been engaged in talks in a bid to end 12 months of uncertainty regarding his future on Merseyside.

Chelsea were keen to sign the midfielder last summer but Gerrard opted to reject the club's overtures to stay with his boyhood heroes.

The Reds' recent success in the UEFA Champions League final against Milan appeared to sway Gerrard into committing his long-term future to Rafa Benitez's side.

But discussions regarding a new deal have broken down in recent days and Gerrard's relationship with Liverpool's top brass is now beyond repair.

Liverpool have confirmed that talks to extend Gerrard's deal, which currently runs until 2007, are now over after the skipper expressed his determination to leave.

"The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield," read a club statement.

"Sadly, he has told us this afternoon that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave Liverpool.

"We very much regret the decision he has taken."

Gerrard's decision to publicly confirm his eagerness to quit Liverpool will now spark a transfer scramble for his services.

Chelsea have already confirmed their initial offer for the 25-year-old, believed to be in the region of £32 million, has been rejected and they are likely to come in with a revised bid.

Real Madrid are also interested but lack the financial muscle to compete with the Premiership champions and that could leave Chelsea as the sole realistic bidders for Gerrard.

The Reds will now be left in the position of trying to negotiate the best price for their midfield powerhouse and it is likely a British transfer record fee will be required to secure Gerrard's signature.

[URL]http://skysports.planetfootball.com/LIST.ASP?HLID=289598[/URL]
Wed 06/07/05 at 13:44
Regular
"Green & White Army"
God bless Steven Gerrard. I feel bad for the last few comments I made. I was quite angry at the time but I dont really feel like that. Ah so club loyalty does still apply. Once a red always a red.
Wed 06/07/05 at 08:59
Regular
There is a newsflash on BBC News saying he has decided to stay at Liverpool
Wed 06/07/05 at 02:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
KOPKING wrote:
> Its quite clear club loyalty doesn't matter in football anymore.

well durrr
Wed 06/07/05 at 02:17
Regular
"Green & White Army"
Totally gutted and the way Gerrard and his agents acted makes me so much more bitter. Its quite clear club loyalty doesn't matter in football anymore. I have no doubt in my mind that when Gerrard said " How can I leave after a night like this?" he still had no intention of staying.

It is clear that Gerrard has wanted to leave since the beginning of last season. He used the reason he wants to win trophies so how do Liverpool respond they win the most prestgious club trophy in football so Mr G can't use that as an excuse to leave.

He was offered more than enough money as £5m a year (100k a week) is more than enough although I read today that on the first day of negotiations Gerrard and his agents made many rediculous demands which included a demand of 130k a week.

He cannot say that the club took too long to begin negotiations as a date was set and agreed to. He was also offered a new contract 3 times this season and he said "wait".

He then says he will not get into "a slagging match" with the club. I think this is because he doesn't want the true reason for his imminent departure revealed.

I have a theory that gerrard has been tapped up by Chelsea and the reason for this thought. When the details were released from the Ashley Cole tapping up incident Mourinhio apparently told Ashley Cole that "Gerrard was in the bag." Liverpool have met all the requirements that Gerrard has demanded of them and my feeling is that he has been looking for a way out since last season. I feel that the reason that he has not announced the reason for leaving is that it has something to do with being tapped up. I think his agent has also played a large part in the whole scandel and was encouraging him to quit. F**kin agents they are a pack of moneygrabbing pr!cks and they are ruining the game.

The part of the whole saga that pi$$es me off the most. The fact that Gerrard and his people tried to shift the blame onto Benitez and the club for the whole saga and for this a will always bear a grudge against him. Benitez is the best thing which has happened to this club for years. He conducts himself superbly and is a friendly, fair and honest man and by Gerrard trying to shift the blame onto him makes me sick. He is showing no respect to the genuis who I feel has turned the club around. I feel so sorry for Benitez and all the problems that he has had to face since taking charge but the character of the man has shone through time and time again and he has never offered excuses or complained.

I will always fondly remember the good time Gerrard brought to the club but now he has basically stuck two fingers up to the club and has truly become Judas. However the £35m+ transfer we will recieve will be added to our already sizeable kitty and maybe we could try and sign a few players such as Aimar, Baraja, Ballack or Wright-Phillips.

I apologize for the mega long post but I feel very passionate about this issue and Mr Steven "Judas" Gerrard has really made my blood boil. I could have typed more but I think my fingers are gonna fall off if I do so that will do. Apologies again.
Wed 06/07/05 at 00:58
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
AJ is right.

People supporting other clubs like AC or Chelsea can claim all they want to be better than Liverpool.

But at the end of the day, they won the Champions League. They're the Champions of Europe. And, hence, they can always throw that back in the faces of fans claiming they aren't the best European Cup. It doesn't matter what happened in other competitions, there is only one competition that has the top European teams, and playing by the rules of that competition, Liverpool came out on top.
Tue 05/07/05 at 23:25
Regular
My Bad. I should learn to do a little less skim skim reading =D
Tue 05/07/05 at 23:21
Regular
"Colourless"
Damarus wrote:
> That's like saying Team A has beat Team B ten times and Team B has
> only beat Team A twice, however Team B are the better team as they
> won the last encounter.

That could be true in some circumstances, but that wasn't what AJ was saying.
Tue 05/07/05 at 23:17
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
No. It's. Not.

AfroJoe wrote:
> they have earned the right to use the term "best team in Europe",
> seeing as they won a tournament which aims to crown the best team in
> Europe.
Tue 05/07/05 at 23:15
Regular
That's like saying Team A has beat Team B ten times and Team B has only beat Team A twice, however Team B are the better team as they won the last encounter.
Tue 05/07/05 at 23:11
Regular
"Colourless"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Sorry, but your team are technically only best in England. :-)

My team are only best in England anyway. I still think Barcelona are a better side than us, even though we beat them. Milan are also better. I'm sure I could make a list.....

But Liverpool, aren't even in the best 3 teams in England. Let alone Europe....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.