GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RAM question."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/06/05 at 09:09
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Having a quick browse of the Forum, I've seen people talking about CL values for RAM.

Just out of interest, is there a way to check the current type of RAM in a computer?

I'm going to get myself a new 512 stick, but now that I've seen that CL is a factor, I don't want to buy the wrong type.

Also, are CL values compatible? For example, if my current RAM is CL3, can I get a CL2 and take advantage if it's abilities? Is it worth having different CL type RAM?

Thanks for any help on this.
Fri 15/07/05 at 10:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks to everyone for your help up to now.

Just out of curiosity, does branding hold much weight in the RAM area?

I've been looking at the Crucial, SR, and Misco web sites. SR doesn't seem to state the branding, so should I be cautious? Misco sell a brand known as Corsair, are they a reliable brand? I'm also under the impresion that Crucial make their own RAM, is that accurate?

Also, it seems that my RAM speed type is PC2700, would PC3200 work at a reduced speed (equal to PC2700) as SR are selling the faster RAM cheaper.

Thanks again.
Thu 30/06/05 at 23:10
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Do you actually ever hit 8GB/s though?
> In practical terms I don't think I've ever seen a benchmark actually
> hit the theoretical 6.4GB/s of dual channel PC3200.

No way... the Intel chipset is also highly inefficient compared to the likes of VIA - still, I get a respectable figure that hovers around 7 GB/s
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:33
Regular
"bot"
Do you actually ever hit 8GB/s though?
In practical terms I don't think I've ever seen a benchmark actually hit the theoretical 6.4GB/s of dual channel PC3200.
Thu 30/06/05 at 14:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
DDR500 running at 252 Mhz here=PC4032 which means a throuhput of +4GB per sec in dual channel mode = throuhput of +8GB per sec... mwah hah hah hah, you should see UT2004 singing as it is very bandwidth sensitive

Although the tradeoff is a CL value of 3 but at these speeds it hardly matters.
Thu 30/06/05 at 13:03
Regular
"bot"
cjh wrote:
> Having a look at the results, can I assume that the value CAS#
> Latency
under the Memory tab is the CL value I
> asked about previously? The value is 2.5 clocks, so does this
> mean it is CL2.5

Yep, that's it.

> Also, again looking at the results under the SPD tab, the
> Max bandwidth value reads PC2700 (166MHz), but looking
> in the Special Reserve magazine RAM page, it says that PC2700 is
> 333MHz under DDR DIMM RAM. Is DDR DIMM and
> DDR-SDRAM (my current type apparently) two different types?

DDR stands for double data rate.
Data can be transferred on the rise and fall of a clock cycle (I think that's how it works) so it's effectively twice the stated frequency. 133 = 266, 166 = 333 and 200 = 400 and so on.

DIMM stands for Dual Inline Memory Modules. DDR-SDRAM is DIMM.
Thu 30/06/05 at 11:16
Regular
All RAM will run at the spec of the slowest stick.

The difference in CAS Latency won't suddenly give you a major frame rate increase but because of the lower timings the games/apps run smoother and particular in high end games you will lose a lot of the offline lag you sometimes get when loading textures to the RAM - obviously because of the lower timings.

RAM is important, I bought the best which cost a hell of a lot more but from past builds with different rigs using different CAS Latencys going for the tightest timings is worth the extra dosh, especially if you are a picky f**ker like me who notices the difference between 68 and 69 FPS :D
Thu 30/06/05 at 10:53
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
That little app seems pretty good, thanks Nimco.

Having a look at the results, can I assume that the value CAS# Latency under the Memory tab is the CL value I asked about previously? The value is 2.5 clocks, so does this mean it is CL2.5, or have I miss-understood?

Also, again looking at the results under the SPD tab, the Max bandwidth value reads PC2700 (166MHz), but looking in the Special Reserve magazine RAM page, it says that PC2700 is 333MHz under DDR DIMM RAM. Is DDR DIMM and DDR-SDRAM (my current type apparently) two different types?

Thanks.
Thu 30/06/05 at 10:18
Regular
"NULL"
cjh wrote:
> Nimco, is this the software you mean
> [URL]http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php[/URL]?

Yup.
Thu 30/06/05 at 09:00
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks for the tips.

Can I just ask also, does the same hold true for the speed, in that if I were to get a 400MHz (PC3200) stick but find my existing RAM is only 333MHz (PC2700), will the new RAM work at the lower speed, or just not work at all?

Nimco, is this the software you mean [URL]http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php[/URL]?

Thanks all.
Wed 29/06/05 at 13:39
"I love yo... lamp."
If you have CL3 and buy CL2, the motherboard will just run at CL3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.