GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Sony never stood and will never stand a chance against Nintendo & How Sony have ruined the classic console wars"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/06/01 at 19:30
Regular
First of all, let's go back in time to old consoles. It had mainly been Sega vs. Nintendo a few years back.

8-bit = NES vs Master System

16-bit = SNES vs Mega Drive

And now onto the 32-bit.

32-bit = PSX vs Sega Saturn

So Sony had joined the console wars, pushing Nintendo out. But not long later, Nintendo struck back with Project Reality, later named the Nintendo64. This new 64-bit console began a new console battle, one that was a massacre, since there weren't any of its kind.

64-bit = N64

So Nintendo was a few rungs up the ladder from Sony. But something came up that hadn't come up with the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles. SONY THOUGHT THEY HAD THE BETTER CONSOLE. And, strange as it sounds, this ACTUALLY SUCEEDED in hypnotising this new generation of PSX owners thinking this as well. Now think if things had been done a little different. What if the situation was EXACTLY THE SAME, except with Nintendo making a 32-bit console as well. For time's sake, we'll codename it N32. So Nintendo would have rival in Sony, since the Saturn wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But Nintendo would also have the N64. So Sony couldn't claim their console was better than both the N64 and N32, could they? Unless they wanted to stand real stupid, they probably wouldn't. Now what if it was this:

32-bit = N32 vs Sega Saturn

64-bit = Something along the lines of a 64-bit Sony console OR PS64

Well, the Saturn was a lame excuse for a console, so the N32 would probably win that battle. But would Nintendo go ahead and challenge the more powerful and probably better PS64. Probably not. Then we get this new Sony console. They could of called it the Sony Masterstation or something like that. But nope, they made it sound like a cheesy sequel, like Toy Story 2 and Smackdown 2 (then again, the original Smackdown was a terrible wrestling game so Smackdown 2 had to be better or the same) and called it the PLAYSTATION 2. How very original. I'm not judging a book by its covers but if you are going to make a sequel of anything, the worst thing you can do is put a 2 on the end of the original's name (unless you can think of a follow up name ie Baldur's Game 2 : Shadows of Amn). IMHO, I see really no difference in consoles apart from the graphics and power. For example:

2 Joypad Ports
Same joypad with Nintendo joystick/joypad mix rip-off
Multitap sold separately
Endless sequels
Stupid Entrance Movie with rubbish music (what is the point with a little movie at the start telling you what console you're playing? Just move your head to look at the console might just take a little less time. Unlike Nintendo which just flash it in about a second)

The list is endless. If you want the most out of the PS2, you are going to have to spend more than £350. 350 POUNDS?!!! 350 QUID?!!! 350 (You get the picture). Might as well buy Special Reserve's Nintendo64 Firepack which is a lot cheaper AND has twice the controller ports. And with the upcoming Gamecube, which has already proved to be a lot cheaper with better games and more experience than Xbox, I hope Sony don't try and begin an already lost battle against the Gamecube, since once again, Nintendo is at the highest rung any console company has ever reached of the ladder.

- HealdPK
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:30
First of all, let's go back in time to old consoles. It had mainly been Sega vs. Nintendo a few years back.

8-bit = NES vs Master System

16-bit = SNES vs Mega Drive

And now onto the 32-bit.

32-bit = PSX vs Sega Saturn

So Sony had joined the console wars, pushing Nintendo out. But not long later, Nintendo struck back with Project Reality, later named the Nintendo64. This new 64-bit console began a new console battle, one that was a massacre, since there weren't any of its kind.

64-bit = N64

So Nintendo was a few rungs up the ladder from Sony. But something came up that hadn't come up with the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles. SONY THOUGHT THEY HAD THE BETTER CONSOLE. And, strange as it sounds, this ACTUALLY SUCEEDED in hypnotising this new generation of PSX owners thinking this as well. Now think if things had been done a little different. What if the situation was EXACTLY THE SAME, except with Nintendo making a 32-bit console as well. For time's sake, we'll codename it N32. So Nintendo would have rival in Sony, since the Saturn wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But Nintendo would also have the N64. So Sony couldn't claim their console was better than both the N64 and N32, could they? Unless they wanted to stand real stupid, they probably wouldn't. Now what if it was this:

32-bit = N32 vs Sega Saturn

64-bit = Something along the lines of a 64-bit Sony console OR PS64

Well, the Saturn was a lame excuse for a console, so the N32 would probably win that battle. But would Nintendo go ahead and challenge the more powerful and probably better PS64. Probably not. Then we get this new Sony console. They could of called it the Sony Masterstation or something like that. But nope, they made it sound like a cheesy sequel, like Toy Story 2 and Smackdown 2 (then again, the original Smackdown was a terrible wrestling game so Smackdown 2 had to be better or the same) and called it the PLAYSTATION 2. How very original. I'm not judging a book by its covers but if you are going to make a sequel of anything, the worst thing you can do is put a 2 on the end of the original's name (unless you can think of a follow up name ie Baldur's Game 2 : Shadows of Amn). IMHO, I see really no difference in consoles apart from the graphics and power. For example:

2 Joypad Ports
Same joypad with Nintendo joystick/joypad mix rip-off
Multitap sold separately
Endless sequels
Stupid Entrance Movie with rubbish music (what is the point with a little movie at the start telling you what console you're playing? Just move your head to look at the console might just take a little less time. Unlike Nintendo which just flash it in about a second)

The list is endless. If you want the most out of the PS2, you are going to have to spend more than £350. 350 POUNDS?!!! 350 QUID?!!! 350 (You get the picture). Might as well buy Special Reserve's Nintendo64 Firepack which is a lot cheaper AND has twice the controller ports. And with the upcoming Gamecube, which has already proved to be a lot cheaper with better games and more experience than Xbox, I hope Sony don't try and begin an already lost battle against the Gamecube, since once again, Nintendo is at the highest rung any console company has ever reached of the ladder.

- HealdPK
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:46
Making up new consoles and comparing them to real ones doesn't make any sense, and your only complaint with the PS2 seems to be it's name, and the way it's getting sequels of popular games(what about many of the GCs release games? They're sequels, or games with the same characters which amounts to the same thing), yet your strongly in favour of the GC.
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:48
That didn't really make much sense, did it? Oh well, you get the jist of it.
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:55
"possibly impossible"
It's no use making hyperthetical situations fit the arguement, when the only thing you've based them on is your own opinion.

The Playstation was successful because it had some good games and at the time represented an excellent step forward in graphics and sound. Sony marketed it properly and it sold well. The N64 had different graphics, some may argue that it had better graphics, but they did a different job to the Playstation's. Unfortunately, while Sony were marketing their console to adults, Nintendo seemed to be mainly marketing theirs to children and some adults (with titles like F1 and Goldeneye) but not as a 'cool' machine.

Part of the reason the Saturn failed was that it was hard to program for. Other than that it was a good console, with some excellent 2d power. unfortunately, Sony convinced everyone that 2D didn't matter and 3D was the way forward for everything. The Saturn could do 3D too, of course, and there were some excellent titles out, such as Gun Griffon, Nights and Guardian Heroes for instance. The other reason was Sega's oversight on marketing stratagies. The N64 came in between these two as a result.

Now, on to the present. Nintendo have drummed up a lot of support for the Gamecube and it will sell well because of this. Whether it manages to sell better than the PS2, a console that has already been out for some time and has built up a big userbase, remains to be seen. As far as the specs go, it should be able to hold it's own, if not beat the PS2, but it's games, games companies supporting it and advertising that really matter in whether the Gamecube does well. I personally hope it does.
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:56
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I was following fairly well till the N32 popped up!

Bear in mind, the N1000000 would have kicked them all! Don't know why it wqs never tried!

Sonic
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:02
Regular
SonicRav wrote:
> I was following fairly well till the N32 popped up!

Bear in mind,
> the N1000000 would have kicked them all! Don't know why it wqs never
> tried!

Because its not base 2 :-)
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:09
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Using my new knowledge of what people in this forum like I would have to say that you are being too biased towards Nintendo. Dont take my word for it just do not be surprised if you are viciously critisized.
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:22
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
MJswerve wrote:
> Using my new knowledge of what people in this forum like I would
> have to say that you are being too biased towards Nintendo. Dont
> take my word for it just do not be surprised if you are viciously
> critisized.

On the contrary... I like to think that I support all consoles that provide good games. Anyway, if I'm biased, it'lll be towards Sega! Sonic really does rule!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.