GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the future???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/06/01 at 17:54
Regular
Is all this console wars stuff beginning to annoy some people? Ok so it is fairly important to make sure you choose the right console, whatever that may be, but surely this is not the best way for it to be. At this moment in time if you have a 'next-gen' console it will either be a Dreamcast or PS2, wow I think I deserve an award for that deduction! Anyway, as we know buying a Dreamcast was probably not the best thing to do, but as the old cliche goes 'Its the games that make a console'. This obviously was not true for Sega as they undoubtably make stunning and wierd games, Samba de amigo anyone but the Dreamcast still failed.

I personally think that the Dreamcast going out of production and Sega becoming a multi format games developer is a very good thing, not because I hold a grudge against Sega but it could trigger a slow change in gaming. Sega are now to release their unique games on to other consoles allowing more people access to these games without having to buy a specific console. Lets face the facts about console gaming past and present, if you want to play the best games available then you will need more than one console. When I had a Megadrive I wanted to play Mario Kart but couldn't because I didn't have the console to play it on. As a PS1 owner I longed to play Goldeneye and nearly bought a N64 just so I could play it. And no doubt now that I have a PS2 I will look enviously at X-box owners playing Halo.

At least now that Sega have gone multi-format I can experience Crazy Taxi and more possible ports such as Shenmue and Soul Caliber. This is undoubtably a good thing as it enables owners of one of the three next-gen consoles to play games that otherwise would not be available without spending more money on other consoles. So my point is that having games developed for multi-format would be an excellent way to go in the future for all concerned. Gamers would be able to experience many diverse games from the different developers on just one console without longing for games not available, which would be nice. The big companies, Sony, Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft would be happy because after all its the games that create profit not the consoles. So is multi-format games the way of the future? Probably not, but it would be nice.
Fri 01/06/01 at 17:54
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Is all this console wars stuff beginning to annoy some people? Ok so it is fairly important to make sure you choose the right console, whatever that may be, but surely this is not the best way for it to be. At this moment in time if you have a 'next-gen' console it will either be a Dreamcast or PS2, wow I think I deserve an award for that deduction! Anyway, as we know buying a Dreamcast was probably not the best thing to do, but as the old cliche goes 'Its the games that make a console'. This obviously was not true for Sega as they undoubtably make stunning and wierd games, Samba de amigo anyone but the Dreamcast still failed.

I personally think that the Dreamcast going out of production and Sega becoming a multi format games developer is a very good thing, not because I hold a grudge against Sega but it could trigger a slow change in gaming. Sega are now to release their unique games on to other consoles allowing more people access to these games without having to buy a specific console. Lets face the facts about console gaming past and present, if you want to play the best games available then you will need more than one console. When I had a Megadrive I wanted to play Mario Kart but couldn't because I didn't have the console to play it on. As a PS1 owner I longed to play Goldeneye and nearly bought a N64 just so I could play it. And no doubt now that I have a PS2 I will look enviously at X-box owners playing Halo.

At least now that Sega have gone multi-format I can experience Crazy Taxi and more possible ports such as Shenmue and Soul Caliber. This is undoubtably a good thing as it enables owners of one of the three next-gen consoles to play games that otherwise would not be available without spending more money on other consoles. So my point is that having games developed for multi-format would be an excellent way to go in the future for all concerned. Gamers would be able to experience many diverse games from the different developers on just one console without longing for games not available, which would be nice. The big companies, Sony, Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft would be happy because after all its the games that create profit not the consoles. So is multi-format games the way of the future? Probably not, but it would be nice.
Fri 01/06/01 at 17:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
NOT ANOTHER BLOODY CONSOLE WARS TOPIC!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!
Fri 01/06/01 at 18:06
A very well written post, but already we have publishers/developers like EA Sports multi-formatting as we speak, but I agree that Sega are a superb software firm and the more people that can play their offerings the better, so well done for ditching the Dreamcast! It's the only console that I'll need for the time being, after all - the best games are on the Dreamcast at the moment, but they are making their way to other formats future, present and PlayStation one - Sonic will be the Christmas number 1 I can almost guarantee it! That is, if it's released on time, at the right time, and enough people want it!

Is this a post about Sega or multiformatting in general? It's a good post nonetheless, and not as long as some of mine - which is good because it means I can be bothered to read it!

Crazy Taxi will go platinum!
Fri 01/06/01 at 18:07
turbonutter wrote:
> NOT ANOTHER BLOODY CONSOLE WARS TOPIC!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!

If you read it, you'll notice that it ISN'T! Silly Nutter.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.