GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Couple of questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/06/05 at 18:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help out with.

First one is Php related. I have a large database and use a union of queries to display some information in a table. Based on the options the user selects it can sometimes take a while before the results are displayed (~10 seconds).
Anyone know if it is possible - and if so how - to show a loading message while the query is being run on the database and then remove the loading message and display the results when it is ready?

Second part is about image thumbnails, something I've never bothered with until now. I want to create a small photo album, just the usual type of thing where you click on the thumbnail and the image is opened up in its full size.
What's the best way to do this?

Thanks
Fri 17/06/05 at 18:35
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Went with bargain host.
Seems to have all that I need.

Cheers
Fri 17/06/05 at 11:42
Regular
[URL]http://www.ukreg.com/[/URL]
Fri 17/06/05 at 11:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks, will give them a look.
Thu 16/06/05 at 21:21
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've used bargainhost.co.uk for a few years and found them to be very good. You get a .co.uk domain name with their packages, or another type for a small fee, and they even give you use of their shared SSL server which is a real bonus.
Thu 16/06/05 at 17:14
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
[URL]http://www.names.co.uk[/URL]
[URL]http://www.streamline.net[/URL]
Thu 16/06/05 at 17:00
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Ok, got another question about hosting a website and domain names.

Up until now all of my stuff has been hosted on our uni webserver, as I've now finished uni it will not be long before my space is removed.

Have decided now it would be best to get myself some webspace and a domain name - as I'm new to all this though I ain't really sure what to do.

Any recommendations about best places to get webspace and a domain name from? What kind of prices are common?

I'll need it to allow php/mysql.
Don't want any that force you to use dial up to connect to upload stuff.

Thanks
Wed 15/06/05 at 22:47
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks, after a quick look I've got some code which seems to do exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Wed 15/06/05 at 19:18
Regular
"NULL"
AliBoy wrote:
> Second part is about image thumbnails, something I've never bothered
> with until now. I want to create a small photo album, just the usual
> type of thing where you click on the thumbnail and the image is
> opened up in its full size.
> What's the best way to do this?

Have a look at GD. Search for GD Thumbnails on Google and you'll find plenty of tutorials showing you how to do exactly what you've just described. If you get stuck, come back here and I'll dump you my code.
Wed 15/06/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Isn't there a function in PHP called rewind(), or something like that? Not sure.

The image thing though, this might help: [URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=125118&forumid=206[/URL]
Wed 15/06/05 at 18:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help out with.

First one is Php related. I have a large database and use a union of queries to display some information in a table. Based on the options the user selects it can sometimes take a while before the results are displayed (~10 seconds).
Anyone know if it is possible - and if so how - to show a loading message while the query is being run on the database and then remove the loading message and display the results when it is ready?

Second part is about image thumbnails, something I've never bothered with until now. I want to create a small photo album, just the usual type of thing where you click on the thumbnail and the image is opened up in its full size.
What's the best way to do this?

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.