GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"General n00b question."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/06/05 at 17:51
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I fear that I'm not able to transfer one file to another without network cards. Correct?

I mean I couldn't just ram a USB cable between the 2, as if the external one was a USB memory stick?

Didn't think so. Oh well.
Sun 12/06/05 at 17:51
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I fear that I'm not able to transfer one file to another without network cards. Correct?

I mean I couldn't just ram a USB cable between the 2, as if the external one was a USB memory stick?

Didn't think so. Oh well.
Sun 12/06/05 at 18:29
Regular
"Unretired"
Install this program on both PC's: [URL]http://www.driverfiles.net/USB/Genesys-Logic/GeneSys-Logic-UE-AA15LC-A/download/page,show,250,61,14,.html[/URL]

Connect the cable between the PC's and load the program on both PC's.

Should work, although I've never tried this myself.
Sun 12/06/05 at 18:32
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Interesting.

Cheers.
Sun 12/06/05 at 18:37
Regular
"Unretired"
Let us know if it works, I could find a use for this in the future.

I noticed that there is a GeneLink file transfer USB cable, but I'm guessing any generic cable should work...
Sun 12/06/05 at 18:41
Regular
"YTS Primate"
Dont do this.

USB ports supply power to any device you plug in. By joining two ports together with a normal cable you are connecting the power out on the two computers together. At best you will destroy the USB controller on one or both motherboards if the soft fuse doesn't cut in quick enough.

A GeneLink file transfer USB cable has a box in the middle which crosses connections and deals with the transfer of data.

The cable costs £16 and is two metres long which means both pc's have to be next to each other. Just burn to cd or if you dont have a burner you could buy one for that. Other options are a pen drive or two network cards and a crossover cable.
Mon 13/06/05 at 13:37
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Clazon wrote:
> I fear that I'm not able to transfer one file to another without
> network cards. Correct?

How big and how often are you going to want to keep transfering data between your two computers? If your going to be moving large amounts and on a frequent basis then setting up a network between your two computers would be a good idea.

If your only moving once a month then a 512mb USB pendrive might be your better option, that was suggested by someone in this thread.
Mon 13/06/05 at 21:15
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I've used a temporary solution, but the 2 most suitable long term solutions I've come to are:

A router

A 1GB pen drive
Mon 13/06/05 at 21:37
Regular
A router will probably work out cheaper.
Mon 13/06/05 at 23:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Router: £30, Pen Drive £60. Yer I think so. Make sure you've got network cards, though.
Tue 14/06/05 at 11:47
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
What do you need the router for?

If you've got broadband then yes I can understand getting a router for that but to network 2 computers, it's not needed.

You will need two NICs (Network Cards) and a length of Cat5 cable with RJ45 connectors at both ends, this will need to be a crossover cable to get the two connected.

2 x NICs = £10 approx (probably cheaper)
1 x cable = £5 approx (probably cheaper)

Problem solved.

If you've got or getting broadband (which I think you are) then yes get a router with adsl capabilities, this should also come with a 4 or 5 port hub, in which case you'll need to change the cable you buy from a crossover to a straight through cable for each computer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.