GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Nintendo Mistakes?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/06/05 at 14:55
Regular
"bit of a brain"
So some more "great" news from IGN concerning the Revolution.

First up, it definitenly WON'T support High Definition output. Now to be honest I'm not too bothered about it currently, mainly because
a) I don't have a HDTV and don't plan to get one and
b) There really isn't much difference between HD and normal TV, tbh.
But with Microsoft and Sony FORCING developers to make their game in HD (720p at least), surely Nintendo are just limiting themselves (IGN link it to no online for GC - Nintendo don't think it's worth it now but 3 years down the line it might be THE thing). It also mens that any multiformat titles will automatically be inferior on the Revolution. So that's an encouraging move, then. There's a REALLY (surprisingly) good article on it [URL]http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p1.html[/URL]

Anyway, second on the list, is some quite ridiculous comments coming out of Nintendo HQ as to why they've gone with flash memory:
"The company believes that kids as young as five years old will use the Revolution and could damage a built-in hard disk"
Now Flash memory is great and all, but if you're offering a GAME DOWNLOAD SERVICE perhaps its a good idea to provide somewhere to store all the games? A HD would have been nice, and I understand why they've gone for the flash memory (lighter, less power consumption, noise-free, smaller etc), but why do they have to say things like that? Doesn't it just make you worry? Urg.

On a more positive front - The console will be able to support ALL of Nintendo's controllers EVER (bongos, microphone included), although there was no mention of SuperScope compatibility. Iwata also said that they might provide some game downloads free when you buy new games (as we have suggested), and that the games will be available for short periods for free (as we already knew). The controller is wireless and "not scary to touch". Er. Also apparently Nintendo will be offering Game Demos, which is definitely good news, although I imagine that, with Nintendo, they won't be pre-releae, as Miyamoto is scared that people will be put off if they play an unfinished game.

So yeah, it just seems like Nintendo are forgetting the real gamers in search of the non-gamers with their no-HD stance. Obviously non-technical people don't care about it, but a lot of people do, and by not supporting it they're just alienating them. Whether HD is the next big thing or not, it seems odd to me that Nintendo would just straight out ignore it, just like they did with online gaming. Perhaps in 5 years time they'll see fit to include it, and maybe it's a good move, but it can't hurt that much to include the support, can it?
Mon 13/06/05 at 20:01
Regular
I bet the original Donkey Kong would look the same on a standard TV as on a HDTV even if Revolution was compatable :P

OMFG!!! Look at the grafix! 8bit!!!

:D
Mon 13/06/05 at 03:30
Regular
"8==="
Rai wrote:
> FFF speaks truth again.

Paedo.
Mon 13/06/05 at 03:30
Regular
"8==="
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Muh. Retards.
> Who gives a crap what kids as young as 5 are doing?

The prosecutor in the Michael Jackson trial.
Sun 12/06/05 at 23:25
Regular
Until graphics are so great that actual video feed and computer graphics are indistinguishable from one another, it won't matter if it's not HD.

In terms of computer graphics the difference between HD and SD TV's will be minimal.
Sun 12/06/05 at 22:50
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Fact is, the UK isn't getting HDTV until 2008, roughly. So yes, to us it means little... for the moment.

Japan/US ALREADY HAVE HDTV, and as such it IS a big problem. Look at the Digital Out on PAL Gamecubes... we can't use them, but they're still there, yes? As were the ports on NES/SNES/N64 that were implemented but never come to fruition (CD drive for SNES/HD64 for N64). So basically, the main two regions alreayd have the ability to use HDTV, yet Nintendo aren't including it. I'd say that was a problem.
Sun 12/06/05 at 22:26
Regular
"thursdayton!"
For me, I couldn't give a toss.

Chances of me getting an HDTV in the next five years = 0.
Sun 12/06/05 at 21:37
"period drama"
Seems rather stupid any way you look at it - if they do include HDTV support and they don't become standard, then who cares. But if HDTVs take over everything, then Ninty have no problem.

And that's nothing to do with how powerful the Revolution will be.
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:24
Regular
;' P
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:21
Regular
Well Microsoft left out the Dr. Pepper dispensers from the Xbox. I was pretty certain that that would be the next big thing in home gaming :P
Sun 12/06/05 at 20:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well it's not massive news to me, either, but it's still news, and worthy of discussion, isn't it? Whether HDTV is big or not now isn't really the issue - Nintendo not including it means that if it does go big, they'll be left out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.