GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Writing a book..."

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/06/05 at 21:36
Regular
Right, I'm sick of writing all these little pointless 'things' that add towards nothing, and knowing that some of you are writing books (FFF, Black Glove, yes?) just wondering if anyone has any tips.

I've tried before, but failed miserably, and that is now lost in history. I just want to do something, really. I love writing mini-story things, but they all just seem pointless. I mean, I've written loads of stuff, and don't really have anything to show for it.

Thing is... I have no idea where to start. Not good with planning and things so... tell me oh talented keyboard-mens.

Danke.
Sat 11/06/05 at 21:36
Regular
Right, I'm sick of writing all these little pointless 'things' that add towards nothing, and knowing that some of you are writing books (FFF, Black Glove, yes?) just wondering if anyone has any tips.

I've tried before, but failed miserably, and that is now lost in history. I just want to do something, really. I love writing mini-story things, but they all just seem pointless. I mean, I've written loads of stuff, and don't really have anything to show for it.

Thing is... I have no idea where to start. Not good with planning and things so... tell me oh talented keyboard-mens.

Danke.
Sat 11/06/05 at 21:45
Regular
"0228"
Step 1: Get yourself a copy of Word
Step 2: Type

Really though, take your time. It's not like there's any rush to get it done, you are young. Be patient and I'm sure things will begin to flow and fall into place.
Sat 11/06/05 at 23:30
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I would say take time on the planning stage - that is: try to have a clear vision of the main characters and the plot.
I've had to abandon two books due to my stories becoming a total mishmash of fragmented events because of my lack of forethought. (First book about 40,000 words, second 25,000. Annoying.)

So recently I've started again mapping-out ten chapters in detail. This helps me to (1) have confidence in where I am going with the story, and (2) allows me to concentrate on "the voice" - which is the thing that drives the reader on (hopefully).

I'm no expert. I too am in the process of trying to write a long, novel-length story, and from my experience, it can easily go wrong and become a mess without the "clear vision".

Having said that, digressions do occur, and these are needed, but as long as I return to the plot, everything is (so far) going well.

This is an interesting subject for me. I'll think of some other things later.
Sun 12/06/05 at 10:43
Regular
"Catch it!"
Im writing a book called a offer you can't refuse. Its about gangsters and how they live,and the sort of things that happen. Done about 15-16 pages so far.
Sun 12/06/05 at 11:25
Regular
"0228"
Can we have an extract from it?
Sun 12/06/05 at 12:02
Regular
"Not a Jew"
For the love of God no.

Anyways I tried a few times as well, but I had a whole collection of random events that I needed to include but had no idea how to string them together, so I'd get to a place where I'd sit and think - Where do I go from here?"
It became as BG said a mishmash of fragmented events. Normally I don't plan anything but I realise now that you can't sit down and churn out a book, you need to have the whole thing planned out. And its incredibly hard to do. It nearly killed Tad Williams (Misery, Sorrow & Thorn Trilogy) and Tolkien nearly gave up but he was helped along by C.S.Lewis. But go for it, you may as well.
Sun 12/06/05 at 12:08
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Personally I find it's easier to write longer pieces without an overall plan. Unlike short stories, where I need to have a plan, because there's less time to fit everything in.

I usually follow a plot to the end, but have other things going on aswell. I dunno, when I read it back, it just seems more creative and unexpected that way. Mainly because it is even for me.
Sun 12/06/05 at 12:28
Regular
"Catch it!"
JFH wrote:
> Can we have an extract from it?

Well im at my mates right now,and the stories at my dads.
Sun 12/06/05 at 12:33
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'd also say don't bite off more than you can chew. No point trying to write an epic of Biblical proportions on the first go.
Try to write a shortish story with quite a simple plot. You can make it interesting and unique by indulging in detailed descriptions of place and making the characters as complex and colourful as you can.

But as RoJ said, it's a hard thing to do. It'll always go places you weren't expecting, you've just not got to let it get out of control. From what I've read, most novelists write two-to-three failed novels before they strike it good, but that happens (I suspect) because of an initial lack of clear direction, or, on re-reading they realize their writing ability stinks.

Clazon wrote:
> I usually follow a plot to the end, but have other things going on
> as well.
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:44
Regular
"Catch it!"
Yes it is a very hard thing to do,thinking up all the chapters. And things that are going to happen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.