GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Redirecting Network traffic..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/06/05 at 08:58
Regular
Currently in the process of setting up a machine to act solely as a Firewall. I am using 2 x 10/100 Network Cards and I am basically wanting to pass traffic from one card onto another which is then connected to a Network wih multiple PC's.

Do any of you guys hav any useful information/sites that will aid me in doing this effectively?

Cheers!
Wed 08/06/05 at 17:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
OddToe wrote:
> Would using a PC as a router consume much power and cost alot on
> electricity bills?

A PC uses about as much electricity as two or three lightbulbs. So not a huge amount, but a lot more than a dedicated router.
Wed 08/06/05 at 16:40
Regular
Would using a PC as a router consume much power and cost alot on electricity bills?
Wed 08/06/05 at 10:54
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Suicide Soldier wrote:
> Heh, no it's not pirated. Brother is an SQL Architect so he got the
> whole Microsoft Suite including 2003 server edition.

Good old MSDN licences. MOst of my software is supplied the same way!;)
Wed 08/06/05 at 10:43
Regular
Heh, no it's not pirated. Brother is an SQL Architect so he got the whole Microsoft Suite including 2003 server edition.

I have thought have Linux having used it for the passed 15 months inconjunction with a character based database. Didn't deal with the admin/hardware side so I am going to read up on the advnatages of it. For when we go LIVE though we are nabbing a Firewall which is alreay configured for what we need it to do and so that all the data we speciy is scanned before routes onto the other PC's.
Wed 08/06/05 at 10:12
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Tyla wrote:
> Thougt of trying Linux? Much better at doing the job your looking for.

This was my thought too. There are distributions specifically designed to do this (m0n0wall, smoothwall etc) and paying nothing is better than paying hundreds of pounds for a Win2K3 license. In addition you'd have a heterogenous network, which is always more secure than just running every computer you have on one Operating System. I still don't really get what you're trying to do - is whatever firewall software you're planning to use not compatible with XP?

Note that if you're planning to use a pirated copy of 2K3 I would strongly advise against it - they will probably have locked the key out of Windows Update and running a non-fully-patched version of Windows against the internet is suicide. It would be particularly ironic if your network was brought down by a worm getting into your security server.
Wed 08/06/05 at 08:39
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Thougt of trying Linux? Much better at doing the job your looking for.
Wed 08/06/05 at 08:19
Regular
No that's not what I am after.

I don't just want to route the connection, I want to secure it with seperate firewall software that will sit on the Gateway and scan in-coming packets of data depending on the criteria I specify. Setting up ICS will jut route the connection and that's it.

Going to bang a copy of Windows 2003 Server as that does have waht I am wanting, from what I read around the web yesterday this isn't possible at all with XP. Cheers though.
Tue 07/06/05 at 18:11
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If you're going to use Windows on your router, Google for setting up connection sharing on Windows XP.
Tue 07/06/05 at 10:13
Regular
All the PC's on the Network are on the latest Windows XP Pro build. Yeah that's pretty much it. I want all the PC's on the Network to pass through the dedicated Firewall.
Tue 07/06/05 at 10:01
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You want to set your PC up as a router then? What Operating System are you planning on using?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.