GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CD/RW drive not working"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/06/05 at 23:44
When I go into My Computer it's not even there.

It has power though, but I don't know how to make the computer recognize it.

Any ideas?
Thu 09/06/05 at 16:51
thank you very much
Thu 09/06/05 at 00:26
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Also you could do worse than download the defilerpak which is basically a cubic mile of codecs to allow you to play all kinds of stuff: [URL]http://hellninjacommando.com/defilerpak/[/URL]
Thu 09/06/05 at 00:25
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Go to this page to download the Real Alternative package. It includes Media Player Classic, which is the best, no-nonsense media player for Windows (it also plays DVDs out the box):

[URL]http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm[/URL]
Wed 08/06/05 at 22:53
"bdp(big_dude_paul)"
i have the same problem as you, does it give you a really rubbish website to visit, that doesn't actually have a decoder?
Wed 08/06/05 at 21:15
Oddly enough... yes it would

All drives are now recognized. I don't know how they weren't before though, it's not like I pulled them out when formatting.

One problem : My DVD Drive doesn't play DVDs. Which is a fairly big problem.

A compatible DVD decoder isn't installed on the computer apparently, but I didn't install anything special the first time...

Does Windows not provide one?
Tue 07/06/05 at 23:53
Would disconnecting it then reconnecting it make it work?
Tue 07/06/05 at 23:53
Regular
"bing bang bong"
down wrote:
> None at all? What if I disconnect it then reconnect it?
>
> And what bit is the BIOS list?

The BIOS is what gets started when you first turn on your computer - all that white-on-black text you get when you first turn your computer on is your BIOS output. If you watch at this time it should probably print out some kind of status as to what IDE drives are plugged into it, your hard disks, CDRW et al. If you don't see anything pertaining to your CDRW around this time then it isn't being detected by the BIOS, and if it isn't being detected by the BIOS it won't be detected by Windows, as Windows only detects devices plugged into the computer via the BIOS.
Tue 07/06/05 at 18:16
None at all? What if I disconnect it then reconnect it?

And what bit is the BIOS list?
Tue 07/06/05 at 18:13
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Did you disconnect it when you were trying to get your hard disks to work in the other post?

It's quite possible that your CDRW drive has bitten the dust, and is/was the cause of all your instability problems (I think I'm reading between the lines here). Is it shown in the BIOS device list at startup? If it's not shown there then there's no chance it will be detected by Windows.
Mon 06/06/05 at 23:44
When I go into My Computer it's not even there.

It has power though, but I don't know how to make the computer recognize it.

Any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.