GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MY TOP 5 DVD MOVIES!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/01 at 21:10
Regular
Ok, since becoming a thousandaire (hooray!) I have managed to consume (as in purchase) a fair number of DVD movies. I love watching films, they can make you cry, laugh, get angry, go insane, but most importantly they entertain. That was not supposed to rhyme, please excuse me! I have an Encore Dv450, which is a nice multi region machine, it's sleek, silver and has a superb range of features, excellent sound and wonderful clarity on the picture so combining this with a 'dodgy' (as in faulty, but the fault that is apparant, Empire Direct cannot accept responsibilty for, grrr) Hitachi 24inch widescreen (not bragging, just setting the scene) with 3DS surround sound, I am able to watch DVDs at a high qaulity, which is how they should be viewed.

I suppose I have about 15 DVD movies, but for me, the extras, the film trailers and special features aren't really the reason I prefer DVD to VHS, and in many cases I haven't bothered looking at them because somehow it might spoil the film for me, but I can understand why this does add appeal. I want to recapture the cinema experience, with that good old 'Universal Studios' or 'Spyglass' start up sequence on my TV with perfect sound all around me, it's superb. So far my top five DVD movies (of all time, can I say of all time?) are the following.

At number 5: Alien.

I'm far too young to remember when Alien was released and how it turned into a classic, but with the following 3 making it a superb series, and the prolongued endearment that people have to this film I am old enough to realise how such a film could be considered the greatest Science Fiction film of all time, and I was able to watch and think 'yeah, not bad at all'! The suspense is incredible - the silences in the film, the whole atmosphere is something that I have never witnessed before, and although it's a very long film, it manages to captivate the audience throughout. A perfect film that still entertains today, sparking off one of the greatest ever sequels (games firms take note) in the supreme 'Aliens'. I really should see that film again now I have it on DVD - it's not in my top 5, because Alien, in my view was more groundbreaking and a better film in general. Most will disagree. Sigourney Weaver and the rest were impeccable, with some real moments that made me shudder and jump! Superb film. I'd recommend to anyone.

At number 4: Toy Story 2.

I was quite pleased to win filmaday for the first time about two months ago, actually, I was delighted with winning (jumping up and down and dancing round the room - in mind at least) and so I thought I'd get Toy Story 2 after seeing the original and beeing totally amazed! At first viewing I didn't think the storyline was as good as the first, but after many times watching it I have to say that it excels and is possibly a better film, especially after watching the hilarious and informative special features - the end of the movie 'the retakes' or something were funnier than the actual film, but overall it was, as Tom Hanks nicely puts it 'optical poptitude'! The 'effects' are astounding, with everything completely computer generated, but the voice acting really makes Toy Story 2 come alive. Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Kelsey Grammer and more keeping it an all star cast. An enchanting movie, with great music, acting and lovable characters, so yet again a brilliant DVD encounter!

At the bronze medal spot:

The Exorcist. Oh my word. 28 years on and this is still something of a 5 star quality movie. At just £14.99 you can't really go wrong, no matter how much of the film was made up, the fact remains it can shock, disturb, but also make you think about life in a new, more positive light - it really can, and has done. Which is nice! If you want to read my full review on the film then:

http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/review.php?custid=10273

The quality is very impressive, great engrossing story and something that can make you think - especially after the film. Some classic lines in the movie, that I just had to note down...

“Turn down the lights, turn up the sound & enjoy the digitally re-mastered version of The Exorcist’!

“The attack is psychological & powerful – do not listen, do not listen!” “Have you ever heard of exorcism?” I noted these down for some reason, so they must be significant in the film, and the process, although at times does get a bit tiresome, will definitely stir you up big time.

Best music in a film without a doubt. Tubular Bells. Brilliant.

Number 2: Blade. Ah yes. Wesley Snipes and Steven Dorff in their element. One of the most action filled thrillers you'll ever see, and something that you simply must watch again and again. Blade is a film that turns the ridiculous into something sublime. Vampires. Half Vampire half human. All sounds daft doesn't it? Well, forget Buffy, Blade is everything and more. Astounding special effects, from blood and gore to lightning and so forth... I shan't go into too much, but it's an edge of your seat rollercoaster of a ride that has the best opening to a film I have seen, and definitely the best ending. Roll on Blade 2!

Number 1:

Gladiator. The best film I have ever seen, and the most impressive picture quality yet from a DVD. The movie is packaged in a 2 disc edition set, 1 with the film, and one with the extra features, however I haven't yet watched those as this is one film that I don't want to know about how they made it! It's a wonderful production, deservedly winning many awards and high critical acclaim. I didn't manage to watch it at the big screen, but mine's big enough to appreciate how amazing it really is. RUSSELL CROWE, JOAQUIN PHOENIX, OLIVER REED, RICHARD HARRIS, DEREK JACOBI, CONNIE NIELSEN, DAVID SCHOFIELD, TOMAS ARANA are all superb and a real delight to watch, excellent acting. Really moving performances, with characters that you'll love and hate.

RIDLEY SCOTT, a superb director (Also brilliant for Hannibal) making it a flawless movie. It's just so well done, with incredible costumes and with special effects that enrich, not hinder, the brilliant storyline.

There you go, that concludes my brief post!

Thank ya'all for reading!

Edge Master
Thu 31/05/01 at 21:10
Ok, since becoming a thousandaire (hooray!) I have managed to consume (as in purchase) a fair number of DVD movies. I love watching films, they can make you cry, laugh, get angry, go insane, but most importantly they entertain. That was not supposed to rhyme, please excuse me! I have an Encore Dv450, which is a nice multi region machine, it's sleek, silver and has a superb range of features, excellent sound and wonderful clarity on the picture so combining this with a 'dodgy' (as in faulty, but the fault that is apparant, Empire Direct cannot accept responsibilty for, grrr) Hitachi 24inch widescreen (not bragging, just setting the scene) with 3DS surround sound, I am able to watch DVDs at a high qaulity, which is how they should be viewed.

I suppose I have about 15 DVD movies, but for me, the extras, the film trailers and special features aren't really the reason I prefer DVD to VHS, and in many cases I haven't bothered looking at them because somehow it might spoil the film for me, but I can understand why this does add appeal. I want to recapture the cinema experience, with that good old 'Universal Studios' or 'Spyglass' start up sequence on my TV with perfect sound all around me, it's superb. So far my top five DVD movies (of all time, can I say of all time?) are the following.

At number 5: Alien.

I'm far too young to remember when Alien was released and how it turned into a classic, but with the following 3 making it a superb series, and the prolongued endearment that people have to this film I am old enough to realise how such a film could be considered the greatest Science Fiction film of all time, and I was able to watch and think 'yeah, not bad at all'! The suspense is incredible - the silences in the film, the whole atmosphere is something that I have never witnessed before, and although it's a very long film, it manages to captivate the audience throughout. A perfect film that still entertains today, sparking off one of the greatest ever sequels (games firms take note) in the supreme 'Aliens'. I really should see that film again now I have it on DVD - it's not in my top 5, because Alien, in my view was more groundbreaking and a better film in general. Most will disagree. Sigourney Weaver and the rest were impeccable, with some real moments that made me shudder and jump! Superb film. I'd recommend to anyone.

At number 4: Toy Story 2.

I was quite pleased to win filmaday for the first time about two months ago, actually, I was delighted with winning (jumping up and down and dancing round the room - in mind at least) and so I thought I'd get Toy Story 2 after seeing the original and beeing totally amazed! At first viewing I didn't think the storyline was as good as the first, but after many times watching it I have to say that it excels and is possibly a better film, especially after watching the hilarious and informative special features - the end of the movie 'the retakes' or something were funnier than the actual film, but overall it was, as Tom Hanks nicely puts it 'optical poptitude'! The 'effects' are astounding, with everything completely computer generated, but the voice acting really makes Toy Story 2 come alive. Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Kelsey Grammer and more keeping it an all star cast. An enchanting movie, with great music, acting and lovable characters, so yet again a brilliant DVD encounter!

At the bronze medal spot:

The Exorcist. Oh my word. 28 years on and this is still something of a 5 star quality movie. At just £14.99 you can't really go wrong, no matter how much of the film was made up, the fact remains it can shock, disturb, but also make you think about life in a new, more positive light - it really can, and has done. Which is nice! If you want to read my full review on the film then:

http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/review.php?custid=10273

The quality is very impressive, great engrossing story and something that can make you think - especially after the film. Some classic lines in the movie, that I just had to note down...

“Turn down the lights, turn up the sound & enjoy the digitally re-mastered version of The Exorcist’!

“The attack is psychological & powerful – do not listen, do not listen!” “Have you ever heard of exorcism?” I noted these down for some reason, so they must be significant in the film, and the process, although at times does get a bit tiresome, will definitely stir you up big time.

Best music in a film without a doubt. Tubular Bells. Brilliant.

Number 2: Blade. Ah yes. Wesley Snipes and Steven Dorff in their element. One of the most action filled thrillers you'll ever see, and something that you simply must watch again and again. Blade is a film that turns the ridiculous into something sublime. Vampires. Half Vampire half human. All sounds daft doesn't it? Well, forget Buffy, Blade is everything and more. Astounding special effects, from blood and gore to lightning and so forth... I shan't go into too much, but it's an edge of your seat rollercoaster of a ride that has the best opening to a film I have seen, and definitely the best ending. Roll on Blade 2!

Number 1:

Gladiator. The best film I have ever seen, and the most impressive picture quality yet from a DVD. The movie is packaged in a 2 disc edition set, 1 with the film, and one with the extra features, however I haven't yet watched those as this is one film that I don't want to know about how they made it! It's a wonderful production, deservedly winning many awards and high critical acclaim. I didn't manage to watch it at the big screen, but mine's big enough to appreciate how amazing it really is. RUSSELL CROWE, JOAQUIN PHOENIX, OLIVER REED, RICHARD HARRIS, DEREK JACOBI, CONNIE NIELSEN, DAVID SCHOFIELD, TOMAS ARANA are all superb and a real delight to watch, excellent acting. Really moving performances, with characters that you'll love and hate.

RIDLEY SCOTT, a superb director (Also brilliant for Hannibal) making it a flawless movie. It's just so well done, with incredible costumes and with special effects that enrich, not hinder, the brilliant storyline.

There you go, that concludes my brief post!

Thank ya'all for reading!

Edge Master
Thu 31/05/01 at 21:16
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Nice choice of films. Blade is stunning especially for a quite old DVD release. The bit in the club at the beginning is a bit wierd and shocking "BLOODBATH" nice. Great post!
Thu 31/05/01 at 21:29
It is weird, but highly impressive 'bass in the place, London' could get annoying after a while. Apologies for any spelling mistakes by the way. Thanks for reading.
Thu 31/05/01 at 22:52
>Snarling houndogs<

Hmmmm.
Thu 31/05/01 at 22:58
some great films there dan and some greta little reviews too. Brilliant post!
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:03
Thanks! Hope you didn't fall asleep reading :D
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:24
Regular
"Sexy Mexican Worker"
my top 5

5. Swedish babes in the bath 3 - gets you in the mood (for football)
4. Final Destination - great death cheating film
3. Heroin - film about people who watch trains allday and record their numbers.
2. Free Sweets for Pigeons: The Movie - film about 7 guys on a campaign at v2000 to get free sweets for pigeons
1. The 7th Sense - great film about a kid called Joe Andy who can see live people, the idea was ripped off by a major american film company but they called it 6th sense, called the kid Cole and made him see dead people.
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:39
"possibly impossible"
There are so many films around that I always get stuck picking the top 5 when someone asks. Mind you, your original post was very good and gave some nice reasons why you chose those films.

I think that The Exorcist and Toy Story 2 would be in my list as well, definately good films with a nice set of extras. I'd probably include Ghostbusters in there too. But, argh! There's just so many around now.
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:50
I really like Alien as well, but it is one of the only movies EVER where the sequel is argueably better than the original-and hardly suprising as it was directed by Ridley Scott. Alien was more ground breaking, being the first scifi horror for ages at the time, and the first film with a true, rock hard heroine, but personally I think Aliens was a better film
Fri 01/06/01 at 00:51
Yes. Pb - 'definitely'/. Sorry, I am very pedantic at 12:52am.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.