GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting my PS2 online"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/06/05 at 18:41
Regular
Okay, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, here goes:

I haven't had my PS2 long (three or four months) and I've heard about playing games online. To be honest, I know absolutely sod all about this, so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what it costs, what I need, and whether it is even worth it.

Cheers.
Sat 18/06/05 at 13:49
Regular
"2 spread the fluff"
RoJ wrote:
> Don't forget the relay box flufferman.

oh yeah thnx for reminding me!!!
Sun 12/06/05 at 16:23
Regular
KILLZONE!!!
Sun 12/06/05 at 12:14
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Don't forget the relay box flufferman.
Sun 12/06/05 at 12:13
Regular
"2 spread the fluff"
i am tryin 2 get a online ps2 and u need a PS2 network adaptor and loads of leads + a fast broadband connection
Sun 05/06/05 at 12:08
Regular
"hulagadoo"
All you need if you have the Slim Line is a ethernet cable, plus your connection blah blah. You also need to send away for a network access disk which can take up to 3 weeks to arrive. Which is why I prefer the network adaptor, a disk is included so you can set up a temporary account right away until your permanent pin arrives.
Sun 05/06/05 at 10:50
Regular
"~DPG~"
Me and my cousin are trying to get online, but do you need to buy an adaptor if you have the new slimline PS2? I thought that had one built in.
Sun 05/06/05 at 10:25
Regular
Thanks.

:-)
Sat 04/06/05 at 23:18
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It'll range from £25 to around £70 depending on what kind of broadband you have.

It's worth it just for SOCOM 1, the rest of the online titles have pretty much niche followings (except for SOCOM 2 which I hate but regularly gets more users on it than that whole of XBox Live put together). There's also quite a big following for Gran Turismo 4 online (any game that is LAN compatible can be played online whether or not Sony made it officially online or not).

If you're lucky you'll just need the Official Sony Network Adaptor (about £25) and that's it, you're up and running.
If you're unlucky and have to use Internet Connection Sharing, routers, wireless bridges because you have ADSL and the missus hates wires trailing all over, then you're getting into the £70 range and quite a few hours reading up on what techie terms mean (like putting your PS2 into a router's DMZ, forwarding ports etc., all of which I thought were military terms until I had to get my PS2 up and running for the online network trials).

To get started: [URL]http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/home.jhtml?linktype=NAV[/URL] and read the Guides. If you have any questions after that, the answers are in the Guides.
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:41
Regular
Okay, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, here goes:

I haven't had my PS2 long (three or four months) and I've heard about playing games online. To be honest, I know absolutely sod all about this, so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what it costs, what I need, and whether it is even worth it.

Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.