GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Meh."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/06/05 at 19:35
Regular
"Mozzy"
I need to get back into games with a good storyline. The last game I bought was Def Jam : FFNY which was very good but it was way too short, since then i've just been renting out multiplayer games to play with my friends.

Now I want to find a game that I can play on my own and keep me interested for a few weeks. The problem is, im very impatient with games, if I get stuck on a certain part i'll give up after just a couple of tries which is why I need a game that has a long lifespan but doesn't involve parts where it takes people days to work out.

It may sound lazy but thats just what im like with games and thats why I usually buy games you can just pick up and play. I've tried playing the FF games but it bores me quickly and im just not a fan of the battle system. MGS : Solid Snake looks a bit dull for my liking, im sure it's really good but for me it wont do.

So, any reccomendations seeing as alot of websites are doing Summer Sales now?

Thanks.
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:19
Regular
"Mozzy"
After wasting almost all of my money on buying food while watching SW Episode 3 I can only afford a cheap game. But it's the summer sale right now so I should be alright.

Those games FM reccomended sound good, im gonna try and rent one of those games, if I really like it i'll buy it...unless i've almost completed it by the time I have to take it back.

Whatever game I get i'll probably only play it on the weekends (mainly sunday) so I dont want the game to have a complicated storyline or i'll loose track of whats going on.

So yeah, i'lll see if I can rent tonight.
Sat 04/06/05 at 15:59
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
MGS3---> if u can stand long cutscenes
GTA3----> if u just want some popcorn style fun but nothing more
Star Ocean ----> if u enjoy Jap RPG's
Sat 04/06/05 at 15:48
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Tales of Symphonia. I have it on the GC and recently completed it- one of my favourite games of all time.

Basically, it's your basic RPG scenario, except the battle system ISN'T turn based- it's Hack 'n' Slash styleeee. So basically, you've got a looooong RPG with a decent battle system AND a fantastic storyline (which made me think of ToS as soon as you mentioned storlines). So yeah, ToS all the way.
Sat 04/06/05 at 00:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Mozzy wrote:
> I need to get back into games with a good storyline.

MGS3 has one of the best storylines on the PS2 and if you do it on regular setting you could probably blaze through it in a few hours (it's not that hard to finish, 15 hours or so first time?). Then you can spend months searching out all the little 'Easter Frogs', get some stealth camo, and have many hours of fun with zoom scopes and kneecapping guards from 100s of different angles. Pretty hard to get stuck on the bosses considering each of them has a pretty easy and alternative solution. So don't discount it, and it's dirt cheap in some places now.

If you want an epic storyline, go for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (real-time-battle see'em and decide whether or not to hit'em RPG) or Grandia II (as above), neither of which have any particularly tricky boss battles or bits to get stuck on, although exploring maps and levelling up isn't everyone's cup of tea.

For a game that'll last you a lifetime just get Gran Turismo 4. No story, but nobody cares, only thing you can possibly get stuck on is the licence tests and they don't really matter as long as you scrape bronze.

Games I personally go back to regularly (despite being stuck on the hard levels) are Frequency, Amplitude and Wipeout Fusion, none of which have storylines but are a great blast.

Currently I'm working through Champions of Norrath on a new character, you get around 30 hours of gameplay on each run through, there is a decent storyline with nice twists in it but you have to watch out for some of the trickier bosses.

In terms of storytelling though, MGS3 is the best example of a ripping yarn on the PS2.
Fri 03/06/05 at 20:57
Regular
"Mozzy"
I used to have that. Poop.
Fri 03/06/05 at 20:26
Regular
"The definitive tag"
GTA San Andreas perhaps? It's got a story as well as the whole free roaming thing, and you shouldn't get stuck enough to stop you playing.
Fri 03/06/05 at 19:35
Regular
"Mozzy"
I need to get back into games with a good storyline. The last game I bought was Def Jam : FFNY which was very good but it was way too short, since then i've just been renting out multiplayer games to play with my friends.

Now I want to find a game that I can play on my own and keep me interested for a few weeks. The problem is, im very impatient with games, if I get stuck on a certain part i'll give up after just a couple of tries which is why I need a game that has a long lifespan but doesn't involve parts where it takes people days to work out.

It may sound lazy but thats just what im like with games and thats why I usually buy games you can just pick up and play. I've tried playing the FF games but it bores me quickly and im just not a fan of the battle system. MGS : Solid Snake looks a bit dull for my liking, im sure it's really good but for me it wont do.

So, any reccomendations seeing as alot of websites are doing Summer Sales now?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.