GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Detecting IDE Drivers""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/06/05 at 03:05
Right.

When I start the computer after it's been on for a while, it just doesn't get past the first screen with the energy star in the top right corner.

Instead, it freezes, with the last thing said being 'detecting IDE drivers.' Obviously, me being retarded with computers, I've no idea what this means, but I'm thinking this fairly recent problem could be why my computer's got so slow.

The problem remains even after formatting.

I think the computer might possibly be overheating, because when I leave it for a while and try and turn it on again, it starts perfectly. I don't know what are the right temperatures and all, but how would I check? The fan's still whirring away.
Fri 03/06/05 at 16:45
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Any way of checking?
Fri 03/06/05 at 16:43
Regular
"bing bang bong"
down wrote:
> Could this be what's making it so slow?

Yes.

If you have a drive acting up it's likely to freeze your whole machine for seconds, or cause long delays doing mundane stuff like opening a file. Of course it could also be your motherboard that's shanked, or possibly most likely of all the actual ribbon cable itself, which happens more often than you might think. If there has to be a hardware failure you want it to be the latter :0)

Do you know if your drives are jumpered to master/slave, or cable select?
Fri 03/06/05 at 15:57
Well, actually, it did load up first time, but none of the cables were loose.

It could have just loaded up first time because I gave it a few minutes between turning it on and turning it off.
Fri 03/06/05 at 15:42
Could this be what's making it so slow?
Fri 03/06/05 at 15:41
Haha ok.

I'll do it now
Fri 03/06/05 at 15:40
Regular
"bing bang bong"
A hardware failure of some kind is distinctly possible. Try pulling the IDE ribbons out on each drive between reboots* - when you disconnect the offending drive, the computer should boot (or at least cleanly attempt to boot).

*Obviously don't do this while the computer is on!
Fri 03/06/05 at 14:56
Pushed all wires in, still doesn't work
Fri 03/06/05 at 13:53
Yeah, I just got up :(

I didn't open it when formatting it, but I'll open it now and push all the wires in.

Why is the problem only happening after it's been on for a while, and not for the whole time?
Fri 03/06/05 at 08:12
Regular
"bing bang bong"
One of your IDE devices (i.e. a hard disk or a CDROM drive) is incorrectly attached, incorrectly configured, or is just plain misbehaving. When you reformatted your computer did you physically fiddle with any of the hard disk cabling at all? I'll post more when I get to work - not that you'll be up for several hours given your post time :>
Fri 03/06/05 at 03:05
Right.

When I start the computer after it's been on for a while, it just doesn't get past the first screen with the energy star in the top right corner.

Instead, it freezes, with the last thing said being 'detecting IDE drivers.' Obviously, me being retarded with computers, I've no idea what this means, but I'm thinking this fairly recent problem could be why my computer's got so slow.

The problem remains even after formatting.

I think the computer might possibly be overheating, because when I leave it for a while and try and turn it on again, it starts perfectly. I don't know what are the right temperatures and all, but how would I check? The fan's still whirring away.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.