GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"999"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/06/05 at 00:09
Regular
"0228"
Brilliant wasn't it? I don't think it's on anymore but I loved staying up to see how people could escape from those crazy situations. Reminds of James Bond really, the people look totally screwed but you know that somehow they will survive.

I can think of a few that I remember well. In one, a bloke that works with big machinery put his arm into one of the machines (fool) and then he pulled his arm out but *shock, horror* his arm didn't actually come out! It had been chopped off. The police came, then they had to run to the local supermarket, steal a bag of frozen peas, collect the arm out of the machine, take the arm and the man to the hospital, and then attach them back together. Then amazingly, the arm fits back into place perfectly and still works.

Another involved a kid that was riding bike, ran into a kerb and shot into the air causing himself to impale his neck onto a spike on a metal fence. Once again, he lived.

The other one that I can think of was where there was anoter guy that worked with big machines and there was a chute where the men had to dump big bags of sand (I think it was sand). Anyway, one guy fell down the chute, and it was one hell of a small chute, and the sand piled up on him until he looked like Han Solo in the carbon freezing. Of course, the ambulance arrived in the nick of time to drag him out to safety.

I get the feeling that it would be impossible to survive some of these things so I have a theory. The 'reconstructions' were not reconstructions at all, they were videos of what happened. Only the bit where the person is taken to safety is acted out. The people in the studio that were being interviewed were also actors (the people in the videos never did look anything like the interviewees). So, yeah, good times, and yes, this was slightly inspired by the casualty thread.
Wed 01/06/05 at 16:38
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Chr1s wrote:
> The Hibernator wrote:
> Ah, the days of watching that and "Strange But True?"
>
> Now that was a hell of a show. I used to find the reconstructions
> pant-wettingly scary.

Yeah I remember watching it while staying round my mates house with a group of friends for his birthday. Pretty spooky stuff if you were the right age.

The only 999 I remember is one that involved Go-Karts.
Wed 01/06/05 at 15:05
Regular
"The definitive tag"
The Hibernator wrote:

Now that was a hell of a show. I used to find the reconstructions pant-wettingly scary.
Wed 01/06/05 at 14:35
Regular
"not dead"
Cong_Man wrote:
> The true brilliance of 999 lay in the choice of presenter. His voice
> overs were so fitting...what was his name again?

Michael Burke.

They kinda ran out of true tales of amazing escapes at the end though, didn't they?

Amazingly John survived his horrible ordeal, otherwise he may not have been alive to tell the tale, but next time you get your finger stuck up your nose, simply follow the same road he did...
Wed 01/06/05 at 14:25
Regular
"0228"
*shocked*

Rai, you fiend. I think you're the same age as me, possibly older, 15 yes?
Wed 01/06/05 at 14:22
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
The Hibernator wrote:
> I don't think I know a single person my age who hasn't watched 999 in
> their lifetime.

I haven't, but then again I'm just a kid compared to the rest of you.
Wed 01/06/05 at 12:25
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I remember one where a woman and her car were crushed by an over turned lorry on a roundabout and a police officer came to comfort her and started raiding her shopping. He found a box of sweets I believe and started feeding her the ones she hated and ate the ones she liked.
Wed 01/06/05 at 12:19
Regular
"..."
The true brilliance of 999 lay in the choice of presenter. His voice overs were so fitting...what was his name again?
Wed 01/06/05 at 11:50
Regular
"0228"
The Hibernator wrote:

I remember that, I think. That was the one where they'd investigate stuff like lights flashing at night in odd areas and the presenter had a really nice office, right? Time to do some googling.
Wed 01/06/05 at 11:47
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I don't think I know a single person my age who hasn't watched 999 in their lifetime.

Ah, the days of watching that and "Strange But True?"
Wed 01/06/05 at 00:12
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Another one that the boneheads at BBC or ITV or whatever should have left alone.

For a while it used to be a highlight of my week being able to stay up until 9.00 to watch 999. I miss being young.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.