GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You in a game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/01 at 11:26
Regular
Its every gamers dream. A game starring not Lara Croft, not a short Italian plumber, not a bloke who calls himself Snake, not a blue Hedgehog, but yourself. The gamer. Sadly, unless you do happed to be a blue Hedgehog or Lara Croft, it’s pretty unlikely. Well, at least until I design games for Rare that is :-)

“Wait!” I hear you cry. “Oh Cheese of Wisdom, what about the create a wrestler on No Mercy + Smackdown?” Well, you can make someone that represents you on No Mercy, but unless you look like (or indeed, are) The Rock they are not going to look much like you. And they’re not going to act like you. And they’re not going to sound like you.

But what if a game did make an effort to incorporate the player into it? Perfect Dark tried it to some extent with the ‘Perfect Face’ feature, where you transferred a picture of your face from the Game Boy Camera to the game, and then got to shoot yourself in the face. Sadly, this feature (which reeked of awsomeness) was removed because Americans thought it would turn everyone into psychotic killers. So, it seems that there is no hope of having yourself in a game. But what if the Perfect Face feature was placed into a game like Tomb Raider, enabling you to put your ugly mug onto Lara Croft?

Although it would be funny for a bit, having Ants face on Laras body wouldn’t work. Thus, you should be able to edit the body of Lara, making her male (not needed in this example) or whatever. Just make it look like you. ‘Ah’ I hear you scream from the rooftops – ‘Is that not just like the Create a Wrestler thingy you dismissed just a second ago?’. Yes. Yes it is. So here is another idea – ever been to the Millennium Dome? If so, did you have a go on that thing that took pictures of you, and made a computer model of you? How about downloading that into a game? Then, the character in the game really would look like you. Obviously there would be a few problems – there always is when a game lets you edit stuff. But it would be very cool.

Ok. So still using the example of Tomb Raider, you know how Lara grunts when she gets hit? Wouldn’t it be very cool if it had YOUR own voice grunting? Or like, saying ‘Ow. That really hurts. Please stop it now.’ And when you kill something, you could say ‘Kiss my alien butt!’ like Elvis on PD does. Or something else. Obviously you would need a mike for this, but considering that Hey You Pikachu has already developed the technology for this, it shouldn’t be too hard.

And so, in Tomb Raider, you have you instead of Lara. With your own voice. It would be like starring in your own game.

How cool is that?
Thu 31/05/01 at 22:13
It doesn't look like it...
Planetside is (or was) going to be a Big on-line world (such as Ultima Online) in which there were 3 (ish) corporations battling for territory. You would join a corporation and get your equipment from them (including vehicles) before going out to fight other people in the usual FPS style. It's a kind of giant Team Fortress or Counter Strike type of game. Anyway it sounds good.
Thu 31/05/01 at 22:10
Do I? Do I really? Did they change the name already?
The one I'm speaking about is for the PC, maybe they are the same I'll have a look.
Thu 31/05/01 at 21:26
Regular
"You've upset me"
He means Planetarion, www.planetarion.com
Thu 31/05/01 at 21:20
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
What is this A massively big online thing. Yet I have not heard of it. Tell me more about Planetside. I must have been living under a rock not to hjeard of it. Tell me more please ....... I'm begging you.
Thu 31/05/01 at 20:57
You could record sounds for yourself in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Icewind Dale (it was easy to do as well), you could also put in your own picture. The model wouldn't look much like you but they are so small it might be hard to tell. Anyway isn't that what RPGs are all about? Getting to make the choices and things as if you are the main character.

I don't think I would make a good character for most of the games I play though, which is probably why games companies prefer to make their own ones.

Still, apparently in Planetside (the on-line FPS massively multiplayer thing) you will be able to have your own face underneath your helmet. Sure it might not be like your body but do you really want your own body in a game? They'll maybe let you be able to create your own skin for it based on yourself although that might be inpracticable since it would mean everyone would have to download all the skins of the people they could see. You never know though, they might find a way and if they can do it for heads, why not for bodies?
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:51
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Sounds pretty good. I might have to persuade my mate to buy it if it gets a general release. I am holding out for a Game Cube as I have only owned Nintendo consoles and I am not going to change that fact now. Playstation 2 could be just as good if they get some quality games and hardware out.
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Bonus wrote:
> On the topic of cameras, did anyone see Sony's tech demo of the
> Creative web cam which they are developing software to actually
> interact with the movements of the player, apparently there is a
> Star Wars Lightsaber game being considered where you would actually
> have to fight the computer, How cool would that be??

I read about that. It is quite, quite amazing.
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:19
Regular
"You've upset me"
Oh
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:16
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
The whole censorship thing is why I used Tomb Raider as an example.

You could have it on any game - Tony Hawks springs to mind.
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
There was one idea that was going to be used in perfect dark. You would take a picture of yourself on the gameboy camera and then somehow transfer that to the N64, I can't remember how.

The idea was canned 5 days before the launch of the game becuase the PR people at Rare and Nintendo thought it'd be unhealthy for people to go around blasting a character that had their friends face on's head off.

Pity really, it would have been quite fun!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.