GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's this John guys schtick?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/05/05 at 23:05
Regular
"Selected"
So I'm doing a sandwich course at University. For those that don't know, this means you take a placement during your third year - a placement being another name for a job, the only difference is that they give you the menial work and you don't get paid for it. Anyway, since I'm studying a music tech degree (yeah yeah, useless degree - tell me about it) I decide to e-mail some audio departments/studios to see if they'd consider taking me one for a year.

Firstly I e-mail a bunch of companies I'd want to work for.....to no avail - nobody replies to my letters or e-mails. So I move on and start e-mailing companies in areas of the country I'd like to work in. This is where John comes in. Y'see, I e-mailed this company called Reelsound, who operate in my home city, to ask if they'd be willing to take me on....and got this reply:

"Dear Michael,

Thanks for the email but I really can't give you any positive
advice about a career in music. The whole business is very difficult to
break into and is infact very poorly paid for the level of skill and
commitment that comitted engineer producers have. Of course the glamour
and aspiration is always there but eventually you have to grow up to the
reality.If I can advise you at all it would be to finish your course and enjoy your music as a great hobby. For money become a plumber.

John"

....which is slightly confusing to say the least. I mean, I ask this guy - in my most polite style of e-mail - if he could take me on and instead of a polite 'no' he sends this crap back at me? What's his gibe?! Fair enough if he can't offer me a placement, but I'd rather he just ignore the e-mail than send that pointless piece of trash to me - I asked if he could offer a job, not if he can make me the next Phil Spector.

I'm really tempted to send an e-mail back calling him a gawky-eyed numbnut who can keep his brain trash to himself, but I dunno....

What say you people?!

Also: "For money become a plumber." Haha, this John guy's got balls, I'll give him that much.
Fri 27/05/05 at 08:34
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
One of the reasons I'm not going back (and I will eventually, not just saying it, bung) to an audio tech degree is because there are no jobs. I remember in the first year of the course, we had a seminar with Paul Whitehead (editor of Sound on Sound magazine), and some other journalists, and he told us himself that there weren't any jobs except being a teaboy for peanuts.

Pretty crushing to hear that after only a few months on the course, eh?
Fri 27/05/05 at 00:54
Yeah... the guy's a dick. Your typical, in the industry, but not only is he not going to give you help (which is fair enough) he'll try to guide you away from it by giving bullsh it. Go to your uni career service; they should have a huge area on careers and contacts. A website I go to did mention the audio technician job once, I'll find it if you want.

Oh, and you should get paid. You're essentially work a year for a company, under contract. It's a full job, though you should expet a slightly lower salary than graduates get.

And besides, isn't it too late for a placement if you're getting it next year? Interviews were over and done with in early April.

Here you go:

[URL]http://www.aboutmyjob.com/main.php3?action=displayarticle&articleid=2124[/URL]
[URL]http://www.aboutmyjob.com/main.php3?action=displayarticle&articleid=260[/URL]
[URL]http://www.aboutmyjob.com/main.php3?action=displayarticle&articleid=2062[/URL]
[URL]http://www.aboutmyjob.com/main.php3?action=displayarticle&articleid=2020[/URL]

Those are more realistic ideas about your industry and your potential jobs.

Oh yeah, if it's in your city, don't be a lazy bas and check it out firsthand.
Thu 26/05/05 at 23:40
Regular
"Selected"
The bas! He's like some sort of industry eagle guarding his eggs of music.

Seriously though, I think what's happened here is that he's read the first line of my e-mail, which says I'm a student studying music tech, and assumed I was asking for advice on getting into the music industry without reading the rest of what I'd sent him. Why I'd ask this, what is clearly a two-bit opperation, for advice is beyond both me and him, evidentally.

Regardless, I'm gonna send him an e-mail back calling him, AND I QUOTE: "an arrogant old fool! When I make me millionz of £££ from becoming a super-producer (LIKE DR DRE IZ!!!!!!111113) I'll buy your dumb company and fire you on the spot, you flakey-headed simpleton"
Thu 26/05/05 at 23:28
Regular
He feels threatened by you and wants to keep you away from the industry.
Thu 26/05/05 at 23:10
Regular
"Excommunicated"
There there
Thu 26/05/05 at 23:08
Regular
FURY
Regular
"Selected"
I like your insult RoJ - it's going in the e-mail.

Any others will be added accordingly.
Regular
"Selected"
Reading it back, I know his e-mail isn't particularly insulting, but it's coma-inducingly unnecessary and completely off-topic.

As such, I feel I should get all red-faced about it.
Thu 26/05/05 at 23:07
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I'd say John's a demoralised slave to the cocaine, recently divorced from his wife after she ran off with the pool cleaner.
Thu 26/05/05 at 23:07
Regular
Personally, I'd reply with FURY and tell him STUFF

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.