GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jazzing up the website."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/05/05 at 18:38
Regular
"You have a choice"
Yo.

I'm lookin 2 Jazz up the look of my website ([URL]www.oe-games.com[/URL]) by adding in some flash and just generally tampering with it a bit.

Any recommendations on:

-What software I should look out for (Cheap, effective, easy to use is preferable!)
-Where I can find it and some decent tutorials
-Any cool ideas of what you think could be done to jazz up the site!

P.S If you look at the site and don't like it, please dont post nasty stuff about it, I'm looking to improve it, so while I dnt mind constructive critisim, don't just say "what a load of ****".
Tue 31/05/05 at 10:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Lukeman wrote:
> the font used is now "tahoma"

Nice and restrictive then!:/
Tue 31/05/05 at 06:35
Regular
"You have a choice"
right!

I've been up almost all night and have finished upgrading the site. It now had a fading background, the font used is now "tahoma", a nicer flash menu and some added pages.
Mon 30/05/05 at 22:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
As far as I'm concerned things like fading text in and out and that showy stuff is unnecessary, and ultimately I think it gets on people's nerves more than impresses them.

Just work on the basic design / layout of the site. There's no point using a load of flashy stuff if your design is no good to begin with. I think you've got an alright looking site there, nothing too special, but you can build it up from what you've got.

Looking at the site's code, for how simple it is, the code is horrible... That's down to FrontPage generating horrible code. I would ditch it. I'm not as 'hardcore' as some here, I used FrontPage ages ago, then went onto DreamWeaver (far better, but still generates nasty code), and now am currently redoing my entire site by hand using HTML and CSS... I'm still doing it 'in' DreamWeaver, but using the code view, not design view, so DW doesn't generate any of my code. Yeah it takes longer, but to get to grips with the basics won't take long.
Mon 30/05/05 at 18:51
Regular
"You have a choice"
I've had some thoughts, and ultimatly I'd like to do something in flash OR use Javascript.

Is there any Javascript that will allow the text from on epage to fade out when u clik a button, and the text from the new page to fade in in the same place?

I know u can use Flash for that sort of thing, but I've never touched flash b4 (Or javascript 4 tht matter) and thought this would be the best way to start. If its possible. I want to keep the same background etc. Basically, I want the website to WORK in a similar way to this: [URL]http://na.square-enix.com/dvd/ff7ac/[/URL] although I know the grpahics will be nowhere near that special.
Tue 24/05/05 at 20:42
Regular
Chuck FrontPage/Coffeecup

Trust me, you'll get a better looking finish if you coded the lot by HTML.
Tue 24/05/05 at 19:13
Regular
"You have a choice"
HTML i don't have a problem with, although i produce better stuff in COFFECUP and FRONTPAGE. I just wanna give it more of a cool look thats more memorable, like the Square Enix site or Konami.
Tue 24/05/05 at 18:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Start learning HTML in notepad, it's really easy.
Tue 24/05/05 at 18:55
Regular
"You have a choice"
unfortunatly alot of that comes with the program. But our graphics man is doin sum of his own stuff now and is pretty much up 2 the same standard!

Am gettin a new flash menu soon, will try it out for a bit and see if it helps at all. Doesn't have the damn add 4 a start! lol
Tue 24/05/05 at 18:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
As bland as it is, you're heading in the right direction. First off I'd get rid of the Flash menu. In-fact, there's no point using any Flash unless it adds to the design...which it doesn't. Games look quite good - how much of that artwork is original?
Tue 24/05/05 at 18:38
Regular
"You have a choice"
Yo.

I'm lookin 2 Jazz up the look of my website ([URL]www.oe-games.com[/URL]) by adding in some flash and just generally tampering with it a bit.

Any recommendations on:

-What software I should look out for (Cheap, effective, easy to use is preferable!)
-Where I can find it and some decent tutorials
-Any cool ideas of what you think could be done to jazz up the site!

P.S If you look at the site and don't like it, please dont post nasty stuff about it, I'm looking to improve it, so while I dnt mind constructive critisim, don't just say "what a load of ****".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.