GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Saves The World!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/01 at 15:18
Regular
Okay... probably not... :)

Broadband, et al. is all cool for cats an all...

however, there is a problem with roll out...

Companies wanting to make money are only rolling out Broadband access to the more densly populated areas, where a profit is more assured...

Leaving the more rural areas (on the whole) to dwell in the murkey depths of narrowband (since even cable companies wont touch too many rural areas)

Now...

With MS's .NET thingy starting up pretty soon (well... bits of it are) and with other companies already starting to jump on the internet/local hybrid system bandwagon.

With aspects of a software titles being held on the net... and being pulled locally when needed.

And having a perminant connection to the internet and as a standard element of the PC... alike the HD or mouse.

This is all pretty standard Internet evolution stuff... and was the kind of thing people predicted way back in the early ninties (90-93), when no-body knew what email was... and even less wanted anything to do with it.

Thing is...

With .Net and Co. people (pretty muich) need to have broadband data rates. Or the software won't work at any level of proficiency... its, in fact going to be in their best interests for even rural areas to have Broadband access...

Which means Gatesy, MS, Oracle, et al. may 'encourage' cable and telecommunication providers to not only expand the network... but in time also to lower their access costs...

Which in turn will promote world peace... and in turn save the world from the inevitable destruction of all life on the planet at the hands of the American Goverment.
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:18
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Okay... probably not... :)

Broadband, et al. is all cool for cats an all...

however, there is a problem with roll out...

Companies wanting to make money are only rolling out Broadband access to the more densly populated areas, where a profit is more assured...

Leaving the more rural areas (on the whole) to dwell in the murkey depths of narrowband (since even cable companies wont touch too many rural areas)

Now...

With MS's .NET thingy starting up pretty soon (well... bits of it are) and with other companies already starting to jump on the internet/local hybrid system bandwagon.

With aspects of a software titles being held on the net... and being pulled locally when needed.

And having a perminant connection to the internet and as a standard element of the PC... alike the HD or mouse.

This is all pretty standard Internet evolution stuff... and was the kind of thing people predicted way back in the early ninties (90-93), when no-body knew what email was... and even less wanted anything to do with it.

Thing is...

With .Net and Co. people (pretty muich) need to have broadband data rates. Or the software won't work at any level of proficiency... its, in fact going to be in their best interests for even rural areas to have Broadband access...

Which means Gatesy, MS, Oracle, et al. may 'encourage' cable and telecommunication providers to not only expand the network... but in time also to lower their access costs...

Which in turn will promote world peace... and in turn save the world from the inevitable destruction of all life on the planet at the hands of the American Goverment.
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:21
*blink, blink*

#Win 1 Hundred Greatest Albums of all Time at Q4 Music.com!! Hey!#

*crash!*

"Are We Experienced, I think so!"
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Virtual Reality wrote:
> *blink, blink*

#Win 1 Hundred Greatest Albums of all Time at Q4
> Music.com!! Hey!#

*crash!*

"Are We Experienced, I think
> so!"

Eh??
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:28
That advert rules, man!
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:33
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Yeah but you ruined any chance of this topic getting a thread on broadband going...sigh. Oh well.
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:40
I don't even know what Broadband is!!
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:45
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Virtual Reality wrote:
> I don't even know what Broadband is!!

Its a type of bandana that wraps around fat american motorcyclists heads and says bite me on the back.

Only joking. Its a form of internet connection if that helps and its much better than my one grrrr damn it!
Wed 30/05/01 at 15:49
oh...fine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.