GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Presidential Revolution"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/11/04 at 23:29
Regular
With the world’s biggest election of the twenty-first century so far taking place right now across the Atlantic, I have decided to campaign for presidency. My campaign message is probably a bit late now, but I hope it can make a difference. Just like you can make a difference if you vote for me as president. President of Nintendo Co. Ltd.

So what have I to offer that other candidates do not? Well let’s take a look at Nintendo’s past and present state:

Under the command of Nintendo’s largest shareholder, Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo produced the NES rather successfully, the Game Boy became the worlds best selling console, the Super Nintendo was very successful but then things started to go wrong. The Virtual-Boy was Nintendo’s biggest boob. Never seeing a release in the UK, it was an instant failure. The Nintendo 64 faired fairly well but due to various reasons, including media format and bad relationships with third parties, the N64 didn’t have all the support it should have.

Then, not long after the American releases of Game Boy Advance and GameCube, Hiroshi Yamauchi decided it was time to step down and let Satoru Iwata take command. The GameCube started off quite promisingly, with various deals already established with Yamauchi at the reigns, however, the ‘kiddie’ image still lingered like stale stilton resulting in sales that couldn’t compete with the Playstation 2. Some top quality games have been released for both systems as well as a re-designed Game Boy Advance, however as far as the public are concerned, Nintendo haven’t done enough. However, with a surprise video showing Link and plenty of DS action at E3 as well as hints about ‘Revolution’, Nintendo’s future is looking slightly brighter than a 60 watt bulb. But is it going to be enough for Nintendo to finally regain the market like they had it ten years ago?

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no! And this is why I know I am the right person to drive Nintendo forward to a future brighter than a star going nova. I have a plan to tackle Nintendo’s problems that will make Revolution a success and will endure DS beats the PSP. Nintendo will be able to gain a new wave of fans to build up alongside the fans of the current franchises, as well as enabling Nintendo to produce more and more games for their systems in a shorter space of time!

The first stage of my plan is to re-assess the uses of Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe. What do they actually do? We know for certain what Nintendo of Europe do. Claim all is great and take credit for when a marketing strategy actually works. All they normally do is take an advert filmed in America and pop it on our TVs once in a while. Maybe it is about time Nintendo used their huge profits to expand these sites for once.

Nintendo of Japan would not need to change at all. Nintendo of Japan can continue exactly as it does now, providing Nintendo gamers with the games they want. Nintendo games. That is, more Super Mario, more Legend of Zelda, more Metriod, more Mario Kart and other sports spin-offs, more Pikmin, and so on. We know that these games are generally successful, and that they will contribute as a selling factor for the Revolution. They would need to communicate with the other teams, but mainly to organise translations and international releases, and so on.

Nintendo of America will then expand so that it no longer just deals with translations and small time development, but becomes a large development team in the company. Nintendo will keep their current experienced staff, as well as employing new developers with western ideas to apply the Nintendo name to. That’s right, a team that can develop for the mid-teens to adult market, or more accurately, to the gamers who aren’t necessarily keen with 80% of their games collection starring Mario. This would allow for the creation of new FPSs, street racing, and to develop more on the adult sports range like Nintendo attempted to join in with NBA Courtside 2002. That would include a competitor in the soccer market, something to beat Madden, a decent hockey game, and so on.

Nintendo of Europe would play a similar role after the first wave of western Nintendo games have launched worldwide. Seeing how the merge of Western and Asian styles of play sell in the market, Nintendo of Europe would then start creating its own range of games. A range more suited to the European market depending on results of analysis on the more profitable parts of the region (UK, Germany, et all).

All three teams would develop games as per normal, and would advertise specifically for each region. The Japanese market clearly prefers the abnormal approach, whereas the western market prefer big military men blowing things up with blood and guts splatting everywhere on the screen. So, that’s how Nintendo would market their games. First person shooters of an adult nature with the capability to stun on the same levels as Goldeneye and Halo would become top sellers in America. Not to mention the classics, such as the next Super Mario title and the next Legend of Zelda. The emphasis on these title’s releases would not be lowered just because another part of Nintendo would develop new titles. Japan would obviously get the classic franchises first, waiting for Nintendo of America and Europe to translate for the other regions. Nintendo of America would get its own franchises first, followed by Europe then Japan. And Nintendo of Europe would probably have their games released shortly after the European release, being the smaller of the three markets.

Each team would still have to work together for the common goal – to sell Nintendo. They would have to co-operate with each other, however the pressure for the better developers to create sequels to their games would be lessened due to the sheer amount of first party titles. Nintendo’s image should go up in terms of popularity, and with all the ‘innovation’ and ‘revolutionary’ ideas Reggie and Iwata claim to be taking place in the new systems, sales should go up, up and away!

This plan would need tweaking when being implemented, as various issues are bound to crop up. The biggest would be the risk and spending involved. A lot of new staff would need to be taken on to aid the current staff, not to mention the office space would need to be increased. But should it be pulled off correctly, Nintendo will benefit magnificently in the long run! An increase in consoles sold. An increase in first party titles sold. An increase in third party support when the third parties realise Nintendo can sell. And overall, more money for me, the future president of Nintendo!

I do have some minor concerns that can be addressed after I’m made President. Someone will have to teach me Japanese, and I’ll want a large desk with a unique inbuilt Ultimate Nintendo Entertainment System which includes fully updateable hardware and a hard drive storing each and every game released on a Nintendo system, using a universally designed controller (also upgradeable). I’m not asking for much.

What do you think of my plan? It can’t be done overnight, but it would certainly be a Nintendo revolution!
Tue 09/11/04 at 22:26
Regular
""
Edgy wrote:
> Discs don't wear out. They gained the nickname "Indestructable
> Compact Discs" when they were first created due to their
> resistance to corruption.
>
> If your disc isn't working than either a) The Xbox is faulty and/or
> has damaged your disc, or b) You don't know how to take care of your
> discs.

What d'ya mean... I keep them in their cases.... it's my frineds who I lend the discs to. They always swear the reasons they have scratches on when I get them back is 'cos I'm careless.
Sat 06/11/04 at 12:52
Regular
I do indeed - I'll pop it on here for around 5 mins then I'll take it off.

I don't mind people adding me, it's just my contacts list is almost full, half the people from here, and 80% of them I couldn't tell you which SR members they are :P
Sat 06/11/04 at 12:43
Regular
Buy one of those Disc Doctors.

Edgy, you got MSN?
Sat 06/11/04 at 12:37
Regular
Discs don't wear out. They gained the nickname "Indestructable Compact Discs" when they were first created due to their resistance to corruption.

If your disc isn't working than either a) The Xbox is faulty and/or has damaged your disc, or b) You don't know how to take care of your discs.
Sat 06/11/04 at 11:18
Regular
""
Well there you go then, I've never played WWF No Mercy. I don't particularly like wrestling games.

I'dsame in my house single player games get played most, just because we live so far away from anyone else.... 11 miles...... so unfair. Mind you I've played Halo soooo much the discs been worn out.
Sat 06/11/04 at 01:59
Regular
Multiplayer games will always get more gameplay out of them, but require players to do so.
WWF No Mercy was definately one of the most played games in our house, because we all loved multiplayer and we still liked WWF.

But would you have chosen it over Majora's Mask?
Fri 05/11/04 at 22:02
Regular
They managed to get a worldwide release of Zelda so naturally there wasn't enough games.

It was a fantastic result.

I actually played No Mercy more than Majora's Mask over the Christmas period that I got 'em both.
Fri 05/11/04 at 20:47
Regular
What about WWF No Mercy?

Wasn't that 3 games on from that one?

But still, ANYONE settling for a wrestling game over Zelda is a tragedy.
I don't mean a WWE fan who lives for wrestling so buys a wrestling game.
I mean a gamer who wanted Zelda, but because THE games didn't distribute properly, they ended up with...

:-O
Fri 05/11/04 at 20:04
Regular
""
> His brother picked up WCW Vs NWO and said "This looks like the
> best game here...".
>
> Now I'm sure that he had the sense to say (in nicer words ofcourse,
> his mother being present) "F*** that!"

Oi..... Wcw vs Nwo (revenge) was and is the best wrestling game ever. Of course wrestling games are really pants anyway.

I loved Turok: rage wars... the single player was awful but the multiplayer was great and.... oh um.... Revolt, that's the one. That wasa great multiplayer.
Fri 05/11/04 at 18:17
Regular
"Bow to me!"
That memory must have truely scared you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.