GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anticipation..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/01 at 13:53
Regular
Anticipation. Supposedly, it's half the fun - waiting for something to happen. But is it spoiling your fun, as far as the PS2 is concerned?

I've found recently that I'm not playing on my PS2 as much as I was a few weeks ago. But why? There's certainly nothing wrong with the machine, or any of the games I have. Am I disappointed with the machine? Certainly not. The games I have for my PS2 are great; highly playable, and great fun. Some are great for a quick blast (Ridge 5, Tekken Tag, DoA2 etc.), and others provide a longer challenge (TimeSplitters, SSX, Madden 2001, NHL 2001, Moto GP etc.) So what's the problem - is it me, or is it the PS2?

I've been reading so much about forthcoming games in the last few weeks that - as good as they are - my current games seem to pale into insignificance!

GT3 is by far the greatest looking racer I've ever seen, and I have to admit that at the moment, I want this game even more than the mighty MGS2. It's broken all sales records in Japan, selling almost a million copies in its first 3 days. The videos I've seen on PS2 magazine cover DVD's, combined with the screenshots, have had me itching to play it so much that I've dug out my copy of GT2 and been playing it to death. Playing a PS1 game, over all of my PS2 titles...

MGS2... well, I don't really need to say anything about this game. We all know how good it's going to be, and it's probably the only title that will beat GT3's new sales record.

But what about the other games? Dropship is looking totally amazing, and the gameplay mechanics seem to be taking shape nicely too. Start a mission by piloting the Dropship to the surface; unload APC's and travel to the target; unload troops from APC's and co-ordinate your attack. Obviously there'll be more to it than that, but it sounds totally engrossing - it sounds like the perfect mix of Command & Conquer and Ground Control.

Then there are the Survival Horror games, which are my favourite genre. Onimusha - a stunning-looking Resi-style game, with tons of hack & slash action; Extermination - a mix of MGS/Syphon Filter/Resi styles; Code Veronica - the best (allegedly) Resi title, and one which PS owners thought they'd never see; Run Like Hell, of which little is curerntly known, other than it looks fantastic; and the one which may prove to be The Daddy of them all... Devil May Cry - which looks more beautiful every time I see it; the scenes on the latest PSW DVD, with the statue inside the mansion, are totally stunning.

Many old favourites (of mine, anyway!) are also making a welcome return, with enhanced gameplay and graphical make-overs. Wipeout Fusion, Ace Combat 4, Thunderhawk, and more.

Yes, sure, we have a wealth of sequels - but there are so many great original titles, too. Some I've already mentioned, but then we have The Getaway; Naughty Dog's Jax & Daxter looks great fun; Dark Cloud looks thoroughly engrossing; the Stuntman is shaping up nicely, as is the 3D remake of Spy Hunter.

And that, I believe, is my problem. I'm going through a phase where I'm looking forward to many of these titles so much, that I almost can't be bothered to play the games I already have!

Does it imply that current PS2 titles are unfulfilling? I suppose it could be interpreted that way, but I personally don't think so. Maybe they're just not as fulfilling as they *could* be - but that's more of a developer problem more than a machine problem, and from what I've seen, it's a problem which has been overcome by an astounding margin.

So, the problem lies with both me *and* the PS2.

The problem I'm giving myself is that I need to try and stop looking so far ahead, and enjoy the games as they arrive, rather than wishing my life away for them to arrive quicker.

The problem the PS2 is giving me is that it has so many great games arriving this year alone, that I'm going to have problems finding the money to buy them all.

Still... there are some problems you just don't mind having. :-)
Fri 01/06/01 at 17:01
I know what you're saying about anticipation, but do you think this could also be a seasonal thing? I mean the Sun has been out a lot lately (even in Northampton!). And minds turn to outdoor pursuits, getting skin cancer, holidays, weddings (for me at least), watching Big Brother (Who wants to bet there will be a PS2 BB game? There was one released on the PC, as far as I can remember), whatever. In Winter an evening in, in front of the PS2 is a much better proposition. What do you think?
Thu 31/05/01 at 14:41
Cheers for your long posts chewbacca, sorry wookie! I print them out and read them at my desk in the office. no-one suspects a thing!!
Thu 31/05/01 at 11:30
Wow Wookiee Monstor -

You took the words right out of my mind. It's true, I'm not playing it as often as I was at Christmas or when I got Z.O.E.

Anticipation is fun - especially with Red Faction and MGS2 coming very soon!
Thu 31/05/01 at 10:25
Regular
"not dead"
Good post Wookiee!

Do you know what I think the problem is?

Information overload.

These days, thanks to the internet you can get reports direct from the developers website and there are countless (well if you can't count to more than 10) games news sites.

So we get every bit of information released about the game. We know when it's released in other countries, and we know when it's been delayed.

People say that there are more delays these days, but is that really true, or is it just that we know about them now?

Just a few years ago the only source of gaming news would have been magazines. They would usually focus on the games coming up in the immediate future, with a few screenshots of games further away, just to whet your appetite. You had no way of knowing that this game had been delayed, as no one told you.

Now, you can get release dates from the internet, and if it slips just slightly, then 'delay' is screamed over every news site and discussion board.

You also see more of these games in the pipeline, with clips online, and now DVD's on magazines. If you see more, you're sure to want more.

So if it wasn't for the internet and the like, you'd still know MGS2 was coming, and it would be something you'd look forward too, but surely not to the same extent as you do after reading reports from E3 from those that have played another demo, and afterdownloading a few video clips. You may have seen the name Devil May Cry on a release list, and seen a few screenshots. It may have looked good, but you'd want to know more about it, and you'd have to wait until nearer the release to get that.

Not now. You can get all the information you want. Then you haveto wait. And wait. And wait. Just hoping that they'll release another video, or put a demo on the front of a magazine.
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:31
Regular
"Whatever!"
I know exactly what you mean Wookiee!! I really enjoy playing the games I have at the moment, they are some of the best Ive played - But when I think about what titles lie ahead they all seem relatively poor when compared. Its not that they are bad games, its just the new ones are unlike anything ever seen before.
GT3 just blows me away each time I see it. I cant believe out of all the years Ive played video games that this is how realistic they have become. The long wait is almost over and it will be a while before this game is bettered.
MGS2 is just going to change the face of the earth as far as Im concerned!!
Other titles like Devil May Cry, GTA3, The Getaway, FFX, Wipeout Fusion, Drop Ship and the rest all seem a million years away but waiting for them although it is considered all part the fun, is actually agonising. God knows how I will get the funds for them all though?? I may have to sell my soul in the process but I will get them somehow!!
Wed 30/05/01 at 17:52
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Shadowman wrote:
> I would have to agree with you that i also am not playing my PS2 as
> much recently.

Nore me. Not since MGS2 demo, not sure why.
Wed 30/05/01 at 14:03
Regular
I would have to agree with you that i also am not playing my PS2 as much recently. I does seem that every month we are receiving news of new games to come and the anticipation is high. You only have to look at the posts on this forum the majority are to do with games to come rather than the current very good games. I find myself discounting some games when they come out in favour of similar games that are due in the furture which i hope will be better. I nearly did not bother with F1 2001 knowing that GT3 is just around the corner and the only reason i bought the game was to give me somthing to fill the gap because i was expecting to get Crazy Taxi on the same day
Wed 30/05/01 at 13:53
"High polygon count"
Anticipation. Supposedly, it's half the fun - waiting for something to happen. But is it spoiling your fun, as far as the PS2 is concerned?

I've found recently that I'm not playing on my PS2 as much as I was a few weeks ago. But why? There's certainly nothing wrong with the machine, or any of the games I have. Am I disappointed with the machine? Certainly not. The games I have for my PS2 are great; highly playable, and great fun. Some are great for a quick blast (Ridge 5, Tekken Tag, DoA2 etc.), and others provide a longer challenge (TimeSplitters, SSX, Madden 2001, NHL 2001, Moto GP etc.) So what's the problem - is it me, or is it the PS2?

I've been reading so much about forthcoming games in the last few weeks that - as good as they are - my current games seem to pale into insignificance!

GT3 is by far the greatest looking racer I've ever seen, and I have to admit that at the moment, I want this game even more than the mighty MGS2. It's broken all sales records in Japan, selling almost a million copies in its first 3 days. The videos I've seen on PS2 magazine cover DVD's, combined with the screenshots, have had me itching to play it so much that I've dug out my copy of GT2 and been playing it to death. Playing a PS1 game, over all of my PS2 titles...

MGS2... well, I don't really need to say anything about this game. We all know how good it's going to be, and it's probably the only title that will beat GT3's new sales record.

But what about the other games? Dropship is looking totally amazing, and the gameplay mechanics seem to be taking shape nicely too. Start a mission by piloting the Dropship to the surface; unload APC's and travel to the target; unload troops from APC's and co-ordinate your attack. Obviously there'll be more to it than that, but it sounds totally engrossing - it sounds like the perfect mix of Command & Conquer and Ground Control.

Then there are the Survival Horror games, which are my favourite genre. Onimusha - a stunning-looking Resi-style game, with tons of hack & slash action; Extermination - a mix of MGS/Syphon Filter/Resi styles; Code Veronica - the best (allegedly) Resi title, and one which PS owners thought they'd never see; Run Like Hell, of which little is curerntly known, other than it looks fantastic; and the one which may prove to be The Daddy of them all... Devil May Cry - which looks more beautiful every time I see it; the scenes on the latest PSW DVD, with the statue inside the mansion, are totally stunning.

Many old favourites (of mine, anyway!) are also making a welcome return, with enhanced gameplay and graphical make-overs. Wipeout Fusion, Ace Combat 4, Thunderhawk, and more.

Yes, sure, we have a wealth of sequels - but there are so many great original titles, too. Some I've already mentioned, but then we have The Getaway; Naughty Dog's Jax & Daxter looks great fun; Dark Cloud looks thoroughly engrossing; the Stuntman is shaping up nicely, as is the 3D remake of Spy Hunter.

And that, I believe, is my problem. I'm going through a phase where I'm looking forward to many of these titles so much, that I almost can't be bothered to play the games I already have!

Does it imply that current PS2 titles are unfulfilling? I suppose it could be interpreted that way, but I personally don't think so. Maybe they're just not as fulfilling as they *could* be - but that's more of a developer problem more than a machine problem, and from what I've seen, it's a problem which has been overcome by an astounding margin.

So, the problem lies with both me *and* the PS2.

The problem I'm giving myself is that I need to try and stop looking so far ahead, and enjoy the games as they arrive, rather than wishing my life away for them to arrive quicker.

The problem the PS2 is giving me is that it has so many great games arriving this year alone, that I'm going to have problems finding the money to buy them all.

Still... there are some problems you just don't mind having. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.