GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Safely Remove Hardware - Windows shortcut required."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/05/05 at 17:37
"Are you sure?"
Does anyone know a clever short cut to correctly removing USB connected hardware in Windows ?

i.e. Before you un-plug a camera or external device you 'should' click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the notification tray and then select the required device if there is more than one, then after clicking stop and a couple more confirmations you're done !

It would be nice if you could 'short cut' some of this. I've read up on some solutions, but none that I like so thought I would see if some clever so and so here has a good solution ;¬)

Thanks in advance.
Mon 23/05/05 at 09:57
"Are you sure?"
Freeola wrote:
> You should have a tray icon which should allow you to safely remove
> the hardware. It will look something like a box with a green arrow
> into it.

lol - Thanks Freeola !

See my question:
Before you un-plug a camera or external device you 'should' click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the notification tray and then select the required device if there is more than one, then after clicking stop and a couple more confirmations you're done !

I'm after short cutting some of the clicks required...
Mon 23/05/05 at 09:46
Regular
You should have a tray icon which should allow you to safely remove the hardware. It will look something like a box with a green arrow into it.
Mon 23/05/05 at 09:23
"Are you sure?"
Timmargh wrote:
> It just makes sure that any cached files are written to/from the
> device before you unplug it.
>
> Found this: [URL]http://www.safelyremove.com/[/URL].

Thanks for that link. I had stumbled across that one myself but wasn't happy with downloading it. Site is pr0 on google, site is lacking in information, support is just an email address, etc, etc.

Chances of getting malware with the .exe are too high for me. The site gets mentioned in a few download sites so I guess it could be ok.

BUT - it does show there are applications out there.
I found applications for specifically unplugging iPods from PC's for example.

Tyla:
You 'should' Safely Remove Hardware from Windows as there is the chance you can corrupt the device. With devices like Camera's you are more likely to get away with it as not that much caching goes on.
I back up my data to a USB external harddrive where Windows does perform lots of caching due to the amount of data involved so I always use the Safely Remove Hardware option.

MS provide a command line interface with Device Manager (Devcon) which might do what I'm after...
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:02
Regular
"Twenty quid."
It just makes sure that any cached files are written to/from the device before you unplug it.

Found this: [URL]http://www.safelyremove.com/[/URL].
Sun 22/05/05 at 18:18
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Never really bothered with it, always asumed USB was plug n play, and therfore you did just that and unplugged it when you'd finished?

Does by passing the "safely remove..." have a negative effect in any way?
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:37
"Are you sure?"
Does anyone know a clever short cut to correctly removing USB connected hardware in Windows ?

i.e. Before you un-plug a camera or external device you 'should' click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the notification tray and then select the required device if there is more than one, then after clicking stop and a couple more confirmations you're done !

It would be nice if you could 'short cut' some of this. I've read up on some solutions, but none that I like so thought I would see if some clever so and so here has a good solution ;¬)

Thanks in advance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.