GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC25: 2 out of 3 ain't bad"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/05/05 at 07:10
Regular
"not dead"
I’ll say it was a genuine mistake, it’s best not to reveal that I took a calculated risk. I just needed that victory buzz, that special feeling you only get when you point the finger, and you’re right. You can call it intuition, the ability to spot the criminal that most people just don’t have. That wasn’t the only reason I did it though, if someone else could have got him I wouldn’t have minded, but to be outdone by your partner? It’s embarrassing. Especially when they remind you of it with a giggle at every opportunity. It’s not like they even take it seriously, merely treating it as a game.

I’ve become so secretive about it, making notes on scraps of paper and hiding them away from prying eyes. Deep down we’re all the same though, wanting to be the one who receives the plaudits. We keep things to ourselves, when it’s quite apparent that if we all lay our cards on the table we’d be able to solve the crime without a problem.

I was so sure that I was right though. Every scrap of evidence had been carefully analysed. Every suspect had been thoroughly considered. Every room in the house carefully trawled. Or so I thought. I must have missed something, a vital clue beneath the plant pot in the study or under the kitchen table.

I knew I was wrong by the look on her face, so disappointed when I spoke of the lead pipe in the kitchen, but I soon as I revealed a name a smile broke free. I should have known it was that bloody Professor Plum.
Thu 19/05/05 at 07:10
Regular
"not dead"
I’ll say it was a genuine mistake, it’s best not to reveal that I took a calculated risk. I just needed that victory buzz, that special feeling you only get when you point the finger, and you’re right. You can call it intuition, the ability to spot the criminal that most people just don’t have. That wasn’t the only reason I did it though, if someone else could have got him I wouldn’t have minded, but to be outdone by your partner? It’s embarrassing. Especially when they remind you of it with a giggle at every opportunity. It’s not like they even take it seriously, merely treating it as a game.

I’ve become so secretive about it, making notes on scraps of paper and hiding them away from prying eyes. Deep down we’re all the same though, wanting to be the one who receives the plaudits. We keep things to ourselves, when it’s quite apparent that if we all lay our cards on the table we’d be able to solve the crime without a problem.

I was so sure that I was right though. Every scrap of evidence had been carefully analysed. Every suspect had been thoroughly considered. Every room in the house carefully trawled. Or so I thought. I must have missed something, a vital clue beneath the plant pot in the study or under the kitchen table.

I knew I was wrong by the look on her face, so disappointed when I spoke of the lead pipe in the kitchen, but I soon as I revealed a name a smile broke free. I should have known it was that bloody Professor Plum.
Thu 19/05/05 at 20:20
Regular
The voabulary wasn't the most sophisticated I've seen you use and it's no 'Unique Treats' but the first person references and the twist to Cluedo was one that made the story

Again another original piece that was very short. Slightly more of an account than a real story but well written and kudos worthy

I assume the theme of loss was based around not winning the board game ? Blatantly inspired by you being thrashed in a family game of Scrabble by your little sister ;)
Fri 20/05/05 at 09:53
Regular
"not dead"
I thank you for taking the time to comment. It's a very different type of story to 'Unique Treats', with the whole purpose of this being the attempt to mislead, hoping the comic ending will raise a smile, so I guess it might just have worked. ;o)
Fri 20/05/05 at 16:49
Regular
"communist"
Lord Funk wrote:
> I assume the theme of loss was based around not winning the board
> game ? Blatantly inspired by you being thrashed in a family game of
> Scrabble by your little sister ;)
...or even Cluedo.

Liked it, although I don't like twists you did this one very well. Good stuff.
Fri 20/05/05 at 17:39
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Wonderful. I love Cluedo.
Sat 21/05/05 at 08:18
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Heh, quite a neat a twist. I enjoyed reading it.
Sat 21/05/05 at 11:24
Regular
"Laughingstock"
The old misdirection then hit us with familiarity, eh -
Sat 21/05/05 at 19:05
Regular
Meka, I love you.

Excellent. :)
Sat 21/05/05 at 21:01
Regular
"I like cheese"
Git. :D

Excellent.
Sun 22/05/05 at 18:01
Regular
"not dead"
I thank ye all for reading and taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated.

I've just submitted a cut-down version of this to Flashshot - they email you a story eaxh day, always less than 110 words. It's pretty cool:

[URL]http://flashshot.tripod.com/[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.