GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 STEERING WHEEL COMPATABILITY"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/05/01 at 21:28
Regular
Hi!,
Does anyone know whether the PS2 steering wheels have to be used with certain games, or will they work with all racing games (Crazy taxi, Wild Wild Racing e.t.c)?
I am going to buy a PS2 steering wheel on Friday, so i want to make sure it will work before a spend £40 on something that might not work!
Thanks
-Tom
Tue 29/05/01 at 21:28
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Hi!,
Does anyone know whether the PS2 steering wheels have to be used with certain games, or will they work with all racing games (Crazy taxi, Wild Wild Racing e.t.c)?
I am going to buy a PS2 steering wheel on Friday, so i want to make sure it will work before a spend £40 on something that might not work!
Thanks
-Tom
Wed 30/05/01 at 10:12
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
You might want to look back on a previous issue raised by me about GT3 and PS2 compatability a little while ago.

I wanted a wheel for GT3 and was also concerned about it working with outher games.

Adrian is your man for this subject!

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Wed 30/05/01 at 10:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Am I thanx Jive for thinking highly of me. Thats if you did mean me.

All I can say is wait for the wheel that its going to be for GT3. I think its based on a PC steering wheel. I think that PC wheels work pretty well with the PS2. Try to look on the internet for any information as I dont really know what wheels are compatiable with what games. The Speedster 2 is an Offically endorsed wheel by Sony so that should be pretty good, I dont know if it has the force feedback. I know its got dual shock vibration but that isnt force feedback. I think the GT3 wheel will have force feedback but I think the wheel is more. If you need a wheel right now then the Speedster 2 may be a pretty good option as its brand new. If you dont need one then wait until the GT3 wheel comes along. I would have thought most games would work with all wheels. The GT3 wheel will be the offical wheel for GT3 so if you want this game it might be good to wait and get this wheel. Other than that just look on the internet for a comparsion on wheels. You may find something on ign or gamespot or another website.
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:22
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
adrian wrote:
> Am I thanx Jive for thinking highly of me. Thats if you
> did mean me.

Adrian, I did mean you :)

Good advice as usual, I think I'll be doing the same as well, hope this helps you out TomUK!
Wed 30/05/01 at 12:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I know that PS1 wheels were'nt that special. Just basically Dual Shocks in a differant form. Can't say the same about the PS2, though.

Best get the GT3 wheel.
Wed 30/05/01 at 13:03
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Thanx again Jive for the nice comments.

I am pretty sure that the offical wheel for GT3 is force feedback. This is so much better than dual shock as the wheel turns with the vibrations. So instead of having a unnatural feel like PS1 wheels, the force feedback feels true to proper driving. This wheel is designed to work for GT3 so it will be the best for GT3. It should work on other games aswell. The GT3 wheel is based on a PC wheel, I actually think its more or less the PC wheel but with different logos and a different colour. When buying the wheel make sure you can take it back as you may get home and it may not work well on the games you have. If you have the time you could email the companys or use there website to ask which wheels work with the game. I think that PC wheels work well.

Most wheels should work with all driving games. I would of course wait to get the force feedback GT3 wheel, it will be more money but the force feedback gives a little extra realism to the game.
Wed 30/05/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Back For Good"
i dunno really, i was going to buy a steering wheel to use with GT3 but to be honest the dual shock 2 is so good that i don't think i'll bother.
Wed 30/05/01 at 17:54
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
residentevilfan wrote:
> i dunno really, i was going to buy a steering wheel to use with GT3
> but to be honest the dual shock 2 is so good that i don't think i'll
> bother.

You can't beat a wheel though!
Wed 30/05/01 at 17:59
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
M16 wrote:
>You can't beat a wheel though!

But it's cheaper to throw your dualshock against a wall in disgust at your own driving mistakes when you crash your car headfirst into a wall. :)

Cheaper to replace as well.

On the note of the force feedback system, I'd heard about it from people this forum but wasn't aware of what it actually was...from what I can tell it sounds blooming brilliant!

I think I'll be trying it out in the shop if I can and might even purchase one after getting GT3!

Will the day ever arrive.....GT3 GT3 GT3!!!
Wed 30/05/01 at 18:24
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
I have the Speedster 2 and just to confirm things.

The wheel has not got force feedback only the dual shock.

However as far as wheels go its the best available atm and feels nice and sturdy.

Only complaint is that it hasn't got F1 style paddles.

If you can not wait get this, if you can then get the GT3 version.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.