GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE FUTURE OF GAMING...upon us?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/05/01 at 15:53
Regular
THE FUTURE OF GAMING...upon us?

What with all the hype surrounding all of the next generation consoles, there are so many new games said to be in development each and every day. Many of these games do indeed look impressive, and sure enough probably do play just as great as they look, but how many of them are really up to scratch?

We're all talking about the future of gaming and where the industry is heading in the next week/month/year/decade and each day are a step closer to reaching what many would call their idea of perfection in a game.

I must confess to finding the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo absoloutely amazing. Initially, my feelings were that nothing would ever come close to beating MGS2. Taking MGS2 as an example, the Playstation 2 is preety much resting on the shoulders of Hideo Kojima. The success or failure of the PS2 (mass market we're talking here remember!) will be determined in some form by the outcome of MGS2. It's inevitable that the so called "biggest game ever" will have an effect on the future of the PS2. So, is MGS2 the future of gaming?

Some months back, a little title caught my eye, and i've been watching it closely ever since. Each month eager with anticipation, I rushed out to buy the latest PS2 magazines just to get a glimpse of the game on the DVD. Could anything possibly bring as much entertainment as MGS2? Two words for you...Silent Hill. In my opinion what is looking to be, at this point in time, what i'd consider my ideal game. Probably that of many others too. From the DVD clips, it looks amazing. Graphically, maybe not advanced as some games in development, but as far as I can tell, it's still very very impressive. And the soundtrack? An amazing audio selection right across the board. From the sound effects (anyone get a deaf feeling in their ears from the screeching?) right through to the theme song. An amazingly appropriate soundtrack to accompany the visuals.

I simply could not beleive what I witnessed as I sat and watched the trailer once, twice, three times over. I'm sure it's got quite a following out there already, but really i'm not sure what more I want from a computer game. When you talking about the next generation, and the future...as far as i'm concerned it's upon us. This is the sort of thing I want to be playing day in day out, hour after hour.

If someone would develop me any game I wanted, with anything in it I wanted...I think my answers would summate to Silent Hill 2. How on earth this one has been pulled out of the bag, I just do not know, and I honestly think this is the game to challenge MGS2 and make it look puny. I know that's a rather brash statement to make, but in all honesty who would rather take MGS2 over Silent Hill 2 right now? MGS2 is by no means an ordinary game, but I feel Silent Hill 2 has something we've been needing for so long in this industry.

Where can it progress from this? How much more real, and emotional can a game become?

Silent Hill 2 frightening? Damn right, and in more than one way!
Tue 29/05/01 at 15:53
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
THE FUTURE OF GAMING...upon us?

What with all the hype surrounding all of the next generation consoles, there are so many new games said to be in development each and every day. Many of these games do indeed look impressive, and sure enough probably do play just as great as they look, but how many of them are really up to scratch?

We're all talking about the future of gaming and where the industry is heading in the next week/month/year/decade and each day are a step closer to reaching what many would call their idea of perfection in a game.

I must confess to finding the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo absoloutely amazing. Initially, my feelings were that nothing would ever come close to beating MGS2. Taking MGS2 as an example, the Playstation 2 is preety much resting on the shoulders of Hideo Kojima. The success or failure of the PS2 (mass market we're talking here remember!) will be determined in some form by the outcome of MGS2. It's inevitable that the so called "biggest game ever" will have an effect on the future of the PS2. So, is MGS2 the future of gaming?

Some months back, a little title caught my eye, and i've been watching it closely ever since. Each month eager with anticipation, I rushed out to buy the latest PS2 magazines just to get a glimpse of the game on the DVD. Could anything possibly bring as much entertainment as MGS2? Two words for you...Silent Hill. In my opinion what is looking to be, at this point in time, what i'd consider my ideal game. Probably that of many others too. From the DVD clips, it looks amazing. Graphically, maybe not advanced as some games in development, but as far as I can tell, it's still very very impressive. And the soundtrack? An amazing audio selection right across the board. From the sound effects (anyone get a deaf feeling in their ears from the screeching?) right through to the theme song. An amazingly appropriate soundtrack to accompany the visuals.

I simply could not beleive what I witnessed as I sat and watched the trailer once, twice, three times over. I'm sure it's got quite a following out there already, but really i'm not sure what more I want from a computer game. When you talking about the next generation, and the future...as far as i'm concerned it's upon us. This is the sort of thing I want to be playing day in day out, hour after hour.

If someone would develop me any game I wanted, with anything in it I wanted...I think my answers would summate to Silent Hill 2. How on earth this one has been pulled out of the bag, I just do not know, and I honestly think this is the game to challenge MGS2 and make it look puny. I know that's a rather brash statement to make, but in all honesty who would rather take MGS2 over Silent Hill 2 right now? MGS2 is by no means an ordinary game, but I feel Silent Hill 2 has something we've been needing for so long in this industry.

Where can it progress from this? How much more real, and emotional can a game become?

Silent Hill 2 frightening? Damn right, and in more than one way!
Tue 29/05/01 at 17:18
Regular
Of course the future isn't apon us... that's like saying tomorrow is today.

But if tomorrow is today, what would that makes yesterday? Today? Well it can't be, as today must be the day we are in, but apparently that's tomorrow, but tomorrow would be today, and therefore there is no tomorrow...

So today is the last day we have on Earth! Arghhh!

Run! RUNN!!!
Tue 29/05/01 at 17:29
Regular
The future is not only on the PS2 remember...
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:08
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Sure the future of gaming isn't solely on the PS2, but the point was Silent Hill 2 really is touching upon something unbeleivable. Where reality and fantasy begin to merge.
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
How many ‘steps’ do you think that gaming has taken since it began? Well the first step was (obviously enough) the birth of the home entertainment system. What was that? Well there are many answers to this. The Sinclair ZX81 is the one that springs to my mind but if you picked A) the Atari or B) the Commodore 64… then you have just won £16,000. Er, right. Well yes those three answers are all correct

So what was the next step? Well that would have to be the NES. Or Nintendo Entertainment System. This console revolutionised gaming as we (as a race) knew it. It also saw Mario brought forward from arcades to home consoles. Yep the NES was definitely where proper gaming began. What next? PC’s. Yes they were built primarily for work etc but game manufacturers took advantage of the sheer power of the PC and re-revolutionised gaming. Actual flight simulations were made, Theme Park was born and gaming entered its Bronze Age.

Soon after PCs arrived and colonised the world, the SNES, Nintendo’s follow up to the NES, was revealed to the world. The graphics were considered to be the best in the business and the all round playability of games was raised. I consider the SNES to home my favourite all time game. The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening. The SNES had competition though. The Sega Megadrive was being sold worldwide on a massive scale and the Great Console Wars began. Who would have guessed that they would go on for more than a decade?

Then, gaming came to it’s silver age. The PlayStation, N64 and Dreamcast. The PlayStation was the first ‘next gen’ console. With games like Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto and Die Hard, the PlayStation hyped, advertised and pirated it’s way to the position of king of consoles. The N64, released in 1997 brought us GoldenEye. The next step was then taken with the release of GoldenEye. A new playability level was reached. The graphics were silky smooth, the gameplay slick and… well it was James Bond!

The Dreamcast opened up a new window for the great lumbering giant of gaming to fall through. The Dreamcast of course brought us internet gaming. Yeah I know this was already available on PCs but it was a first for consoles. Unfortunately Sega have now spluttered and died. So, the final step that gaming is going to take will be completed with the release of the Xbox and the GameCube.

At this point I believe that gaming can’t get any better. The periphilon will have been reached. Gaming will go into its golden stage. The graphics will look stunningly realistic and won’t be able to be improved. So, after gaming has reached its pinnacle, where the hell is it going to go next?

Well that question is one I have been pondering for a long time and I have come up with only two answers. Virtual Reality, this can be the only way that gaming can get any BETTER. The feeling of actually being there, being in game physically DOING the puzzle, swimming through the lake…etc. This is one way or the other is slightly more interesting. Or haywire. Bizarre…. Call it what the hell you want. The other answer I came up with is slightly better than reality. Actual role-play. The scenery could be made or projected, the enemies would be played by people or employees of the company who are running the game. And you could take the title role. Costume and everything, sword shield… everything. Obviously I’m describing how an adventure game would be. Shoot em ups would be twice as fun. Exactly the same, scenery enemies but with paintball guns. How fun would that be? Legging it around pretending to be James Bond with a paintball gun, catching Trevelyn and Jaws. Strategy games would be much more fun this way round. Imagine commanding a team of SWAT soldiers. Having maps and paintball guns, trying to work your way into a building. It would be bloomin’ brilliant!

Also this way, new genres could be introduced. Decent war games could be played. With proper scenarios. Played in woodland with certain obstacles and tasks it would be superb. Obviously though you couldn’t go in with the heavy artillery. Like tanks, planes and the such, but it would still be brilliant.

Obviously not all game genres could be played like this though. Racing games would be impossible (Well, not impossible but very hard and very expensive to do) as would puzzlers. But I think that this is a small price to pay for… well, for what? Not Virtual Reality... It would be Reality Gaming. No computers would be involved so some may argue that it wouldn’t be gaming. True it wouldn’t be gaming, it’d be better than that. It’d be real.
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:36
Regular
"everyone says it"
ADH wrote:
> Sure the future of gaming isn't solely on the PS2, but the point was
> Silent Hill 2 really is touching upon something unbeleivable. Where
> reality and fantasy begin to merge.

No, it just looks good! Completely different to touching....
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I actually pointed out that visually (at least in game) it wasn't that impressive.

But deep down, Silent Hill brings a whole new world to life. When a trailer can engross the viewer in the storyline like the Silent Hill trailer does, you know it's going to be good.

I'm not arguing that it's fact, but in my opinion this is where gaming goes forward. This is where we are drawn into the lifes of characters, where we become part of the fantasy world.
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:39
Jak and Daxter.

Access Granted.

Probability of success: 0.998.

Visual rating: 99%
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:42
Regular
"You've upset me"
Access Denied wrote:
> Jak and Daxter.

Access Granted.

Probability of success:
> 0.998.

Visual rating: 99%

Shut up AD, you're just annoying everyone.
Tue 29/05/01 at 19:45
RastaBillySkank.

Error 58.

Language non operational.

Failure expected.

ETA 10 minutes 12 seconds.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.