GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Specifications"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Fri 05/11/04 at 16:47
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
Half Life 2.....any rumours about specifications needed? seems to me like most games nowadays need stupidly futuristic computers with components only out the day the game is, and my computer certainly ain't up to date...have preordered Half-life 2, any idea if i can run it with:

2GHz Athalon Processor
256 MB Memory
Hardly any free disk space, easily remedied
52x CD-Rom
Geforce 5200FX
Mouse
The other usuals...

Any help would be appreciated
Sun 07/11/04 at 21:56
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh, get a combo... Same-ish price, but better.
Sun 07/11/04 at 21:50
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
jimbojambo wrote:
> Hmm......so how do we do this steam thing? Failing that, how much do
> cheap DVD drives cost?

I got one for about £12 or something... not sure, I bought it with a bunch of other stuff too.
Not much though.
Sun 07/11/04 at 21:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
Download Steam.

Download HL2 via Steam.

Tada.

It's tough, I know...
Sun 07/11/04 at 20:26
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
Hmm......so how do we do this steam thing? Failing that, how much do cheap DVD drives cost?
Sun 07/11/04 at 11:09
"Majestic"
The land that time forgot...
Sat 06/11/04 at 21:29
Regular
"I hate steam!"
You're so lucky u can get the game the 16th allready. We'll prbably get it like 5 months later, cause I live in a lame small country in southern africa, and yes I am white, and yes technology has got so far in Africa. To bad its nothing compared to urs, we still think a pc that has 2.2ghz, 256mb ram and a geforce fx5500 specs kicks ass. the fastest internet connection here is a 128k isdn modem. (weak)
Sat 06/11/04 at 15:41
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I thought that too... which was pretty much the reason I bought a DVD drive yesterday.
Sat 06/11/04 at 15:40
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Maybe I'm making this up completely, but I'm pretty sure the game was getting a DVD only release - unless you download it via steam, of course.
Sat 06/11/04 at 11:20
Regular
"Titty biscuits"
ok ok it turns out i'm answering my own question, have just been given the official specs, straight from valve. Here they are, kids...

Minimum System Configuration

1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection

Preferred System Configuration

2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection
Fri 05/11/04 at 22:17
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I'd think so tbh Coin, thats not a bad rig, unless you're used to looking at performance, tech-headed overclocker boards ;)
And as you get a copy of the game with the 9600, I'd imagine it will work in at least mininum settings...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.