GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Programming@SR"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/05/01 at 15:12
Regular
This suggestion may belong in more than one thread, and I will change accordingly. It even goes back to the axtra advertising Gameaday.

I recently learnt HTML through a great online tutorial. I soon mastered that, abnd decided that my brain could do with more of a challenge. So I decided to learn either PHP, c++ or Java. During my search for a tutorial I met a LOT of people who wanted to learn too. This is a great oppurtunity for SR to jump in. There is more than one thing you could do, as well:

1)When I was searching for tutorials, a lot of the sites were just small sites, with a list of useful programming links. I noticed that there were a lot of adverts on these sites, and that they had a lot of hits. I also found that the advertised sites were generating a lot of hits too. Perhaps Special reserve could advertise on here!

2)I also noticed that there were a lot of programming books available to buy. But a lot were from small companies I'd never heard of! And I wasn't going to risk buying from them. So, perhaps Special Reserve could sell some programming guides. This could be a new publicity sector 'bringing up the population into the digital age' or something. Remember it!

3)I also noticed in my search that a lot of the online 'tutorials' told you how to do one basic thing, and did not even explain how it worked. Special Reserve, with so many programmers in their midst, could put up their own tutorials. The, you could be linked from all these programming sites, as an actual useful link, not an unrelated advert. This could generate awareness from lots of people. You are well-known, so will be trusted, and if people see:
'Learn to program on www.Jimshomeprogramming.com'
or 'Learn from the Pros at Special reserve' Guess which one they'll chose! See what I mean?

SUMMARY: The best action for Special Reserve to take is to begin to make http://ukprogramming.com.
First put on a few tutorials to get started. Link to afew sites
Start to sell tutorials, more in depth ones. Link to more sites.
You become a comprehensive programming site, with tips, tutorials, maybe a special forum, and programming tool kits. You could even sell, or link to editors, and compilers!

Oh, and
4) A specific forum for programmers, where you can get help from each other. Webmaster could be putting in appearences, giving tips, as well as all those programming regulars!

This will generate a lot of traffic, and could make SR some more money too!

I think this is a great, original idea, and I think, there being a LOT of people who want to program, it will generate HUGE traffic, and if these people are really serious, it wont just be riff-raff, they'll be a useful addition to the SR community. Thanks, Darkness.
Tue 29/05/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
This suggestion may belong in more than one thread, and I will change accordingly. It even goes back to the axtra advertising Gameaday.

I recently learnt HTML through a great online tutorial. I soon mastered that, abnd decided that my brain could do with more of a challenge. So I decided to learn either PHP, c++ or Java. During my search for a tutorial I met a LOT of people who wanted to learn too. This is a great oppurtunity for SR to jump in. There is more than one thing you could do, as well:

1)When I was searching for tutorials, a lot of the sites were just small sites, with a list of useful programming links. I noticed that there were a lot of adverts on these sites, and that they had a lot of hits. I also found that the advertised sites were generating a lot of hits too. Perhaps Special reserve could advertise on here!

2)I also noticed that there were a lot of programming books available to buy. But a lot were from small companies I'd never heard of! And I wasn't going to risk buying from them. So, perhaps Special Reserve could sell some programming guides. This could be a new publicity sector 'bringing up the population into the digital age' or something. Remember it!

3)I also noticed in my search that a lot of the online 'tutorials' told you how to do one basic thing, and did not even explain how it worked. Special Reserve, with so many programmers in their midst, could put up their own tutorials. The, you could be linked from all these programming sites, as an actual useful link, not an unrelated advert. This could generate awareness from lots of people. You are well-known, so will be trusted, and if people see:
'Learn to program on www.Jimshomeprogramming.com'
or 'Learn from the Pros at Special reserve' Guess which one they'll chose! See what I mean?

SUMMARY: The best action for Special Reserve to take is to begin to make http://ukprogramming.com.
First put on a few tutorials to get started. Link to afew sites
Start to sell tutorials, more in depth ones. Link to more sites.
You become a comprehensive programming site, with tips, tutorials, maybe a special forum, and programming tool kits. You could even sell, or link to editors, and compilers!

Oh, and
4) A specific forum for programmers, where you can get help from each other. Webmaster could be putting in appearences, giving tips, as well as all those programming regulars!

This will generate a lot of traffic, and could make SR some more money too!

I think this is a great, original idea, and I think, there being a LOT of people who want to program, it will generate HUGE traffic, and if these people are really serious, it wont just be riff-raff, they'll be a useful addition to the SR community. Thanks, Darkness.
Tue 29/05/01 at 15:59
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Definately an idea worth looking into.

I'm constantly looking for good places to take tutorials in all manner of programming languages, or to buy books. If I knew Special Reserve offered that sort of service i'd visit the site much more often.
Tue 29/05/01 at 23:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SR aren't fantastically good at programming, you know. Very good, but not amazing. Try webmonkey or DevShed, they've got some great tutorials.

Oh, and the best PHP book is "Proffesional PHP Programming", I think it's called. Anyway, it's read, got yellow writing, and a strange matt-like finish. You can get it at PC World.
Wed 30/05/01 at 10:54
> Oh, and the best PHP book is "Proffesional PHP
> Programming", I think it's called. Anyway, it's read, got
> yellow writing, and a strange matt-like finish. You can get it at PC
> World.

I've read this book. It's okay and gives you a good grounding in all the major areas you might want to use PHP for, but I think all the examples they give could be better - some of them are very poorly programmed.

To see a complete summary of current (or forthcoming) books on PHP, you could do no worse than check out the official PHP book list.

I can particularly recommend 'Web Application Development with PHP 4.0' for some advanced stuff and 'PHP Developer's Cookbook' is supposed to be very useful for solving common problems.
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:07
Cool idea, I wouldnt mind learning how to program.

Dan have you got the web address for the site you used to learn HTML please :-)
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Baz wrote:
> I can particularly recommend 'Web
> Application Development with PHP 4.0' for some advanced stuff and
> 'PHP Developer's Cookbook' is supposed to be very useful for solving
> common problems.

Yeah, I've seen this. I am planning to buy it after a million and one other things.

Of course, the single most useful thing you can get is the complete HTML version of the online manual. Every, and I mean EVERY PHP developer should have this.
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:15
Regular
Anyone know any good web sites with good HTML tutorials in?

I either find ones with the basics in, which are too easy for me, or ones that are really in depth, which are too hard for me.
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Webmonkey.com is the god of all Client Side tutorials.

That is, they are good at things like HTML and JavaScript, but ASP and PHP are somewhat disappointing. For PHP, go to DevShed.com, and PHPbuilder.com.

But I still say, for PHP there is no substitute for a copy of the online manual and an apache webserver!
Wed 30/05/01 at 12:50
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I'd use it because I'm into that kind of stuff but wouldn't know where to start.. they don't exactly teach it at school. And maybe it would pay off because some people might eventually go into these jobs where you will likely need them.

Also why not sell computer programming books for making software. Again this is not taught in school and again I wouldn't know where to start but it's a skill I'd like to know. A site devoted to this kind of thing would mean alot to me.
Wed 30/05/01 at 12:52
Regular
Rakuga, you get taught this at University, so start looking at where you would like to go and what you would like to now!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.