GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fightin' talk"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/05/01 at 10:08
Regular
Things are not rosey in Camp X-Box, if these comments are anything to go by anyway.....

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Mr. PlayStation and Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Ken Kutaragi was first to put the boot in.
'Microsoft was finished before it even got started. They have no games,' he ranted. 'Microsoft has put itself out of the game. Retailers in the US are already disappointed.' Fighting talk, then, but wait, there's more. 'Microsoft does not understand the entertainment business. The processing speed of their console is not fast enough and the graphics were rough. The next game platform belongs to Sony and Nintendo.'

Of course, you might expect a rival to s**g the launch, though it's unusual for the suits to be so, well, vicious. What you don't expect is for two of the biggest third-party developers in the world, both currently developing Xbox games, to put the boot in. According to the FT, Electronic Arts and Infogrames have both confirmed that they've yet to receive final development software. EA chairman and CEO Larry Probst has obviously been drinking the same truth serum as Kuturagi. 'Microsoft has a lot to do over the next few months. They are on a death march right now." Death march? Good lord, what can he mean?

In Microsoft's defence it's no secret that EA have a close relationship with Sony and Robbie Bach, Microsoft's chief Xbox officer, is insistent some final development kits last week and that the project remained on schedule.

Fight! Fight! Fight!...
Tue 29/05/01 at 10:08
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Things are not rosey in Camp X-Box, if these comments are anything to go by anyway.....

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Mr. PlayStation and Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Ken Kutaragi was first to put the boot in.
'Microsoft was finished before it even got started. They have no games,' he ranted. 'Microsoft has put itself out of the game. Retailers in the US are already disappointed.' Fighting talk, then, but wait, there's more. 'Microsoft does not understand the entertainment business. The processing speed of their console is not fast enough and the graphics were rough. The next game platform belongs to Sony and Nintendo.'

Of course, you might expect a rival to s**g the launch, though it's unusual for the suits to be so, well, vicious. What you don't expect is for two of the biggest third-party developers in the world, both currently developing Xbox games, to put the boot in. According to the FT, Electronic Arts and Infogrames have both confirmed that they've yet to receive final development software. EA chairman and CEO Larry Probst has obviously been drinking the same truth serum as Kuturagi. 'Microsoft has a lot to do over the next few months. They are on a death march right now." Death march? Good lord, what can he mean?

In Microsoft's defence it's no secret that EA have a close relationship with Sony and Robbie Bach, Microsoft's chief Xbox officer, is insistent some final development kits last week and that the project remained on schedule.

Fight! Fight! Fight!...
Tue 29/05/01 at 16:32
Perhaps Microsoft are opting for different tactics to that of Sony.

Whereas Sony had aLL the hype surrounding their machine and then left many people dissappointed on launch day, Microsoft will have everyone uninterested in there hardware and then shock everyone with a wealth of extraordinarily good launch titles and a more than reasonably priced machine!!!

Or maybe not.
Wed 30/05/01 at 08:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The thing is Microsoft havent really got any games that are special to that system. They are getting some great games e.g The 2 new versions of Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi. Theres Halo, Project Gotham e.t.c. But they havent got a game that stands out. Everybody knows that Mario, Zelda e.t.c are Nintendo. Nintendo has its game characters that are associated with them. PS2 doesnt really have any, but people know that Ridge Racer, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider appear on the console. These games everybody knows a most of them like.

Nintendo are making sure the Cube is a success, I have just read thats its going to be online straight from the box either using Broadband if you have it or 56k for the rest of us. Its launched 3 days before the X-Box at $100 cheaper, with this money saved people can buy a game and a 64MB memory and another controller. The N64 did well in the America and Japan but not so well over here. So in Japan they get the Cube before the X-Box. In America they also get the Cube before the X-Box. Nintendo is a well know games company while Microsoft are the kings of computer crashes and overpriced crap that you need to operate most PC's.

At Christmas in America your a parent looking for something for your kid. He already has a N64 so they know all about Mario, Zelda e.t.c they know the name Nintendo. Nintendo to them is a games company, while Microsoft makes PC's crash. They walk into the shop and see the Cube and X-Box, they look at both. They will get the Cube, Why. Its cheaper, has well know characters that they even know, its made by a gaming company that have been around for ages.

X-Box will sell as it is a good piece of kit but at $100 more than the Cube it will find it hard to compete. Also the Cube are getting lots of Sega games that are appearing on the PS2.

The PS2 will still be in with a chance as its got great graphics with great games coming out and that are out. They have a reputation of making a good console. Nobody in there right mind would say Sony failed with the PS1 Considering its still going quite strong even today. The PS2 has already sold millions and millions of units and it will sell alot more before the 2 next gen machines are released.

I would say that Microsoft are still in for a chance but they will come 3rd in the race as the Cube and PS2 will finish ahead, maybe joint 1st or one ahead of the other, who knows.
Wed 30/05/01 at 17:58
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
The only game I likr the look of is Halo.
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:34
Regular
I want to see what happens to these two consoles you know for the first time it looks almost like a simultaneous launch i don't think any of them (Microsoft and Nintendo) will want to lose to the competition because of lack of enough consoles and also now the consumer has a choice unlike the launch of PS2.
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:36
Regular
Flying Pig wrote:

Fight! Fight! Fight!...

I agree..........
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:09
Regular
Blueyonder have signed a major deal to supply a Broadband conection for the PS2. Telewest own Blueyonder and Microsoft are a major shareholder in Telewest!!

Fight! Fight! Fight!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:27
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> Blueyonder have signed a major deal to supply a Broadband conection
> for the PS2. Telewest own Blueyonder and Microsoft are a major
> shareholder in Telewest!!

That is very interesting... I wonder if Microsoft will 'lend' them several million dollars in a bid to limit PS2's online features, similar to the way in which they bribed Interplay to restrict the PS2 version of The Matrix game...
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:29
Regular
Nope, I think that the PS2 and Xbox will use the same system in the UK and that by letting Sony fund half of this project MS will save money, anyhow I posted the Telewest press release in this forum, ill pop it for you to have a read, they talk about the MS implications!!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:29
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> Bonus wrote:
> Blueyonder have signed a major deal to supply a
> Broadband conection
> for the PS2. Telewest own Blueyonder and
> Microsoft are a major
> shareholder in Telewest!!

That is
> very interesting... I wonder if Microsoft will 'lend' them several
> million dollars in a bid to limit PS2's online features, similar to
> the way in which they bribed Interplay to restrict the PS2 version
> of The Matrix game...

Did they? Thats disgusting! How can that be legal? Its wrong, just totaly wrong!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.