GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Netgear DG834G 'problem'"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/05/05 at 10:58
Regular
Ok, my DG834G, greatness aside, seems to have a wireless issue that's recently cropped up.

Every so often, even if the PC is off at the time, the wireless light disappears, which makes the wireless signal vanish too. I have no idea what's causing it though. I can go out for the day, come back and find the wireless deactivated, sometimes it has done it to me while using the computer.

Any ideas how to resolve it and keep the wireless AP running permanently? There's no timeout limit or anything like that. Going by the setup/monitor utility, it should never stop running. for the record, the actual Broadband connection stays active no matter what.

It's firmware 1.04.00 or whatever. I tried flashing to 1.05.00 but that made matters worse. I was getting disconnected every 5 minutes. Pretty infuriating when you're trying to feed a Warcraft addiction!

So now it's been recovered to 1.04.00 and works as it did, deactivating at random times.

I really don't know how to keep it active, and the Netgear site is cack. I'd appreciate some help from you guys.
Tue 10/05/05 at 09:05
Regular
"NULL"
I think we had the Vigor 2600We - or something like that. Great routers, if a bit pricey.
Tue 10/05/05 at 08:56
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> Take a look at Draytek. We've got one of theirs and it's great.

Looked at them in great detail last night and looks like I've settled for the Vigor 2900VG, though the price almost gave me heart faliure!;)...

£160.00!!
Tue 10/05/05 at 08:50
Regular
"NULL"
Take a look at Draytek. We've got one of theirs and it's great.
Tue 10/05/05 at 08:46
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Bullett wrote:
> Still, that kind of thing shouldn't happen these days, especially by
> one of the leading and most pricey Networking companies.

Looking for a new Router now, did concider the NetGear WPN824, but now looking at the silly and very expensive Vigor 2900VG especially after the hassles you've had with NetGear (who aparently aren't rated very highly anyway as a networking manufacturer by a couple of network engineers I know)!!

Won't be using Linksys again though, know that for sure.
Tue 10/05/05 at 07:00
Regular
thanks for the link Garin, checked it out but doesn't seem to have resolved it. It's not a major problem now, as it doesn't seem to disconnect when I'm actually using it, only when it's inactive - like there's a timeout setting in place, but there isn't.

It's odd, but as said below, I'll soon have no use for the wireless so it can stay like that as far as I'm concerned!
Tue 10/05/05 at 06:58
Regular
Well it seems to only die out after a period of inactivity, i.e when the PC is off and I'm downstairs.

I've just received the extended RJ11-RJ11 cable I ordered, which will allow me to have the Modem upstairs and jacked directly into the PC, meaning I'll no longer need wireless. Now I just need a longer Ethernet cable to reach my Xbox at the other end of the room!

Still, that kind of thing shouldn't happen these days, especially by one of the leading and most pricey Networking companies.
Mon 09/05/05 at 17:58
Regular
"Touched!"
I had an issue like this with my Belkin Wireless access point. Kept losing connection all of the time etc..even tried a firmware flash but that didn't solve it. In the end I got it replaced and my new one works flawlessly. Try and get it exchanged if you can't find a solution mate.
Mon 09/05/05 at 14:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
[URL]http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=692[/URL]

That covers most of the usual stuff to try.
Mon 09/05/05 at 13:30
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Having a similar issue with my Linksys BEFW11S4 v.4, where the new firmware causes the router to hang and drop outif more then 2 wireless devices are attached, also seems to be affected if I enable UPnP.

Looks like firmware writers have gone a little dolally this month across the board!
Mon 09/05/05 at 10:58
Regular
Ok, my DG834G, greatness aside, seems to have a wireless issue that's recently cropped up.

Every so often, even if the PC is off at the time, the wireless light disappears, which makes the wireless signal vanish too. I have no idea what's causing it though. I can go out for the day, come back and find the wireless deactivated, sometimes it has done it to me while using the computer.

Any ideas how to resolve it and keep the wireless AP running permanently? There's no timeout limit or anything like that. Going by the setup/monitor utility, it should never stop running. for the record, the actual Broadband connection stays active no matter what.

It's firmware 1.04.00 or whatever. I tried flashing to 1.05.00 but that made matters worse. I was getting disconnected every 5 minutes. Pretty infuriating when you're trying to feed a Warcraft addiction!

So now it's been recovered to 1.04.00 and works as it did, deactivating at random times.

I really don't know how to keep it active, and the Netgear site is cack. I'd appreciate some help from you guys.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.