GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you a computer genius? Then you can possibly help me...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/05/05 at 20:46
Regular
"lets go back"
Ive had this very strange idea that may or may not be possible. The main problem is I dont know what I need to buy to implememt this crazy plan, or if something even exists.

My computer is in my spare room downstairs. On occasions I would like to have a second computer upstairs that is networked to the one downstairs so that I can share all of the file content. What I was hoping is that rather than buying a second computer I could somehow link a second monitor, mouse and keyboard to my PC so I could run the computer from upstairs. Is there any kind of device that will allow me to do this? If its any help I already have an ethernet cable running from my PC to upstairs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sun 08/05/05 at 20:46
Regular
"lets go back"
Ive had this very strange idea that may or may not be possible. The main problem is I dont know what I need to buy to implememt this crazy plan, or if something even exists.

My computer is in my spare room downstairs. On occasions I would like to have a second computer upstairs that is networked to the one downstairs so that I can share all of the file content. What I was hoping is that rather than buying a second computer I could somehow link a second monitor, mouse and keyboard to my PC so I could run the computer from upstairs. Is there any kind of device that will allow me to do this? If its any help I already have an ethernet cable running from my PC to upstairs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sun 08/05/05 at 20:48
Regular
"bot"
you could just use Remote Desktop.
Sun 08/05/05 at 20:57
Regular
"lets go back"
Whats remote desktop and how would I use it?
Sun 08/05/05 at 20:58
"I love yo... lamp."
There was an expansion card thing a few years back that let you connect a second mouse, keyboard and monitor to a PC and use it as a second PC. Slowed it down of course, but still, it worked. Not sure if you can get anything like that anymore. Thing is though, for that, you would need another monitor and mouse and keyboard and huge extender cables, since the ethernet cable wouldn't allow you to do it.

You could investigate ethernet based KVM switches, which would negate the need for the huge extender cables and would allow you to use the already existing ethernet cable. Minor problem would be that when you try to use the PC upstairs using your mouse and keyboard, everyone else would see it and nobody could use the downstairs PC. Stil, if that wasn't an issue it would work. Just probably more expensive than a another new computer.

Simplest thing would be a second PC, and just share the files.
Sun 08/05/05 at 21:00
"I love yo... lamp."
Geffdof wrote:
> Whats remote desktop and how would I use it?

If you have two PCs, you can see what would be on the screen of the first PC in the screen of the second, via a window. Not only that, but you can use the mouse of the second PC to control the cursor on the first PC, via your window. Basically, it lets you remotely control the first PC.

It does the same job as VNC. VNC however doesn't need you to sign in to a passport account first.
Sun 08/05/05 at 21:00
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> you could just use Remote Desktop.

Remote Desktop won't help.

Try VNC [URL]http://www.realvnc.com/[/URL]

EDIT: Ahaha, nice one NB :P
Sun 08/05/05 at 21:03
Regular
"lets go back"
What you've just suggested with the KVM switches (whatever thay are) is basicaly what I was thinking. But if it would cost more I might as well get a new PC.

Thanks for the help.
Sun 08/05/05 at 21:08
Regular
"lets go back"
All of that remote access stuf would be pointless for me at home because I dont have an internet connection upstairs and would need to use my long ethernet cable but i could just network the PC's together (if I get a new PC that is).

I never new you could do the whole remote access thing tho and it could come in usefull for other work related things, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Looks like I'll have to get a new PC then.
Mon 09/05/05 at 15:53
Regular
Geffdof wrote:
> All of that remote access stuf would be pointless for me at home
> because I dont have an internet connection upstairs and would need to
> use my long ethernet cable but i could just network the PC's together
> (if I get a new PC that is).
>

You may want to try a wireless network card from Special Reserve in that case. Try [URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/search/standard.php?de=wireless%20pci[/URL] which should give you a couple of options, alternatively just try searching by "wireless PCI".
Tue 10/05/05 at 09:15
Regular
"8==="
Cheapest way:

*Keyboard lead extender cable
*Mouse lead extender cable
*Box that converts your monitor signal into one a TV can accept
*Standard long TV aerial/AV wire
*A cheap TV

Sorted.

Simply switch keyboard cables for whichever 'computer' you need to use (the monitor to tv converter should allow the signal to go to both at the same time so you shouldn't need to swap anything over there). :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.