GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Design Tools?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/05/05 at 10:11
Regular
"Bicycle"
What are the best web-design tools, for windows?

Is TextPad the best text-editor? Are there any apps. for to-do lists and notes? I know Mac's have loads, but even so, that doesn't help me...
Tue 10/05/05 at 13:00
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
That I did.
Mon 09/05/05 at 13:31
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Just found a new addition to the web developer tool, where by you can
> validate an entire web site (supposedly) by adding a new option to
> the Tools menu.
>
> [URL]http://www.dotjay.co.uk/blog/tips/20/[/URL] for the article on
> how to do this. I gave it a go and it seems to work as expected, a
> nice little addition.

Bah, you saw the same thread too!!
Mon 09/05/05 at 11:01
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just found a new addition to the web developer tool, where by you can validate an entire web site (supposedly) by adding a new option to the Tools menu.

[URL]http://www.dotjay.co.uk/blog/tips/20/[/URL] for the article on how to do this. I gave it a go and it seems to work as expected, a nice little addition.
Sun 08/05/05 at 19:46
Regular
"Bicycle"
Because it encourages people to use out-dated techniques such as tables and the dreaded frames.

My opinion - learn XHTML & CSS, then write it in Notepad or, as it happens, Notepad ++ :D.
Sun 08/05/05 at 15:08
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
I dont use the Design veiw of dreamweaver much, but why is it you dont like it?
If it cuts down time on simple things like table resizing then why not use it?
Sun 08/05/05 at 15:01
Regular
"Bicycle"
Notepad ++ is teh shizle.

Perfect, as I only code CSS and XHTML, with the occasional fumble with PHP.
Sun 08/05/05 at 14:10
There is no "best" design tool out there; it's always down to preference. I find DW too heavy handed for simple sites, and prefer to use a mixture of TS and a good text editor (Notepad++) for HTML/CSS sites.
Sun 08/05/05 at 13:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Coin wrote:
> Basically looking for a replacement for Notepad, and possibly some
> other's that make multi-tasking that little bit easier. Preferably,
> the Notepad replacement would be able to hand XHTML and CSS,
> unlike TextPad...

Just as an aside, if you're settled in Textpad, you can find plenty of syntax definitions on the textpad homepage which will give you highlighting. If you want both CSS and XHTML highlighting in the same file, you can merge the defintion files fairly easily.
Sun 08/05/05 at 13:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Coin wrote:
> What's the point in Dreamweaver MX if all it does is format text?

Mainly the fact it's an industry standard application design to handle everything thrown at it from html to .NET & aspx. Fully customizable right down to modifying the whole GUI of the app, excellent code handling and formatting, validation tools, code formatting (not just colour, it goes as far as font's etc), dynamic preview of data without having to upload to the server first, snippets library, could go on for days.

You'd be surprised how powerful it is for a text editor. The most powerful asset in DW is the search and replace tool and it's flexibility (condoitional statements, wild cards, current page, site wide etc etc).

DW is what you make it. I've been using it since release 1 and it still surprises me sometimes.

TopStyle Pro is another awesome app, though doesn't handle php etc. But for £45, you can't go wrong.
Sun 08/05/05 at 13:31
Regular
"Bicycle"
What's the point in Dreamweaver MX if all it does is format text?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.